Folks - I bought a new Air 2 days ago.....then, under the lights at work, I noticed a small but irritating (to me) scratch on the upper surface of the bezel where it meets the glass....

Would you return this Air over this?-image.jpg

Would you ignore it, not let it bother you, or return it for another? The iPad functions perfectly and I love it - It's more I look after my iGadgets and like things so so, if anyone hadn't noticed (!)...

So - is this acceptable?
    11-27-2013 05:59 AM
    Is it defiantly a scratch and not glue? I'd have to return it if it was mine.

Adam.
    11-27-2013 06:33 AM
    Yes, a scratch - I can feel it with my finger nail. Thanks for your reply, I wonder sometimes if I'm too fussy.....so a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion helps. I did ring the bricks and mortar Apple Store where I bought it - described the issue - and they did say just bring it back.......

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    11-27-2013 06:58 AM
    The trouble with taking it back is you may well end up with a dodgy one with screen problems, but regardless of that, I would still change it, and I'd open the new one in store to check it out.

Adam.
    Scallops likes this.
    11-27-2013 07:04 AM
    Anyone think a return is unjustified......it's only a minute couple of scratches?
    11-27-2013 07:48 AM
    Return it,apple is all about perfection
    11-27-2013 08:12 AM
    Anyone think a return is unjustified......it's only a minute couple of scratches?
    From your picture, that is a very small scratch. If you plan on using a case on your Air you won't even notice it. My iPad 3 had a very small scratch on the back near the Apple logo. I did not return it as I always use a case on my iDevices anyway and knew that I was not going to see it once the case was on... Lately with the iPad screens being so hit or miss on getting one without a yellow, green, pink, or light leak, I would have to ask you how your screen looks. Are you satisfied with it? If so, you might not want to return it and end up getting one that has a bad screen.... It's hard to tell someone what to do as it is not my iPad. However, if it were my I pad and I liked the quality of my screen, I wouldn't return it for a small scuff or scratch like that. Good luck with your decision.
    Scallops likes this.
    11-27-2013 08:31 AM
    It is a small scratch, but I don't use a case - I use a Smart Cover but take very good care of my iGadgets. I also generally keep such items for much longer than perhaps the typical user, meaning I live with what I get for a long time.....I might just take it in and see what they suggest.....perhaps it can be fixed?

My plan - if it gets returned, was to take a look at any replacement in store by just turning on the "Hello" screen - that is mostly white, so should tell me if any screen flaws are present, shouldn't it?
    11-27-2013 12:47 PM
    It is a small scratch, but I don't use a case - I use a Smart Cover but take very good care of my iGadgets. I also generally keep such items for much longer than perhaps the typical user, meaning I live with what I get for a long time.....I might just take it in and see what they suggest.....perhaps it can be fixed?

My plan - if it gets returned, was to take a look at any replacement in store by just turning on the "Hello" screen - that is mostly white, so should tell me if any screen flaws are present, shouldn't it?
    Not necessarily. The lighting in the store is different than your lighting at home which is where you will be using your iPad the most. Also, that white background will not show if any light leak is present or not.
    Scallops likes this.
    11-27-2013 02:34 PM
    Folks - I bought a new Air 2 days ago.....then, under the lights at work, I noticed a small but irritating (to me) scratch on the upper surface of the bezel where it meets the glass....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	43237

Would you ignore it, not let it bother you, or return it for another? The iPad functions perfectly and I love it - It's more I look after my iGadgets and like things so so, if anyone hadn't noticed (!)...

So - is this acceptable?
    Yes, I would return it and have it exchange for another one.
    11-27-2013 02:59 PM
    If your screen is good is hold on to it for dear life.

2012 21" iMac
    2012 11" MacBook Air
    16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPhone 5s
    16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPad Air
    11-27-2013 03:22 PM
    I'd exchange it.
    11-27-2013 03:33 PM
    Not necessarily. The lighting in the store is different than your lighting at home which is where you will be using your iPad the most. Also, that white background will not show if any light leak is present or not.
    What is light leak, and how do I assess this? Perhaps my scratched one leaks light!

If your screen is good is hold on to it for dear life.

2012 21" iMac
    2012 11" MacBook Air
    Really was unaware any significant number of Air units were subject to display issue(s). What are these, apart from "light leak" and yellow tints?
    11-27-2013 03:35 PM
    That's really all the issues. Mine has this weird shadowy line in the middle I'm exchanging it this weekend, but I think my issue is unique. I've never had an issue with an Apple device right out of the box until now. Seems like display issues on the Air are widespread.

2012 21" iMac
    2012 11" MacBook Air
    11-27-2013 03:40 PM
    I'd take it back, especially if you ever plan on selling it to finance your next iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-27-2013 03:54 PM
    How long ago did you purchase it? If you can return it and buy another one, that would be better because if you exchange it and have issues with the second one, it will make it harder to exchange again in the future.
    11-27-2013 04:12 PM
    How long ago did you purchase it? If you can return it and buy another one, that would be better because if you exchange it and have issues with the second one, it will make it harder to exchange again in the future.
    It's 2 days old, and the Apple shop have already confirmed that I am free to return it. I just wanted to get a feel for what other people might do given it's hardly major. I guess bboykin87 hit the nail on the head.....so to speak. When I sold my original Mini, in expectation of this new iPad, it had a slight scratch on a different area of the unit, which I caused, and they ( the company buying it) knocked $40.00 off it's resale value.
    11-27-2013 04:28 PM
    I would exchange it for sure.

#Naked Tuesday
    11-27-2013 04:51 PM
    Thanks to everyone who offered an opinion here, all the comments have been useful. I have decided to return it, and do my best to assess the new item in store. If a genuine technical issue is apparent in the replacement - even if I only discover it later, I do have a warranty which should cover any such issue. Thanks again, folks.
    11-27-2013 05:14 PM
    Someone paid the same amount as you but his ipad has no scratch. If you are ok with the amount you paid + scratch, its up to you mate
    11-27-2013 05:15 PM
    Ah ok you return it finally, its completely ok , its not like you abusing the system, you just want a perfect ipad for the price you paid
    Scallops likes this.
    11-27-2013 05:17 PM
    If it was my device and I noticed the scratch, I would return it. It may work fine right now, but how did it get scratched? The scratch could possibly affect the resale value if you decided to sell it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    11-27-2013 05:33 PM
    Well that is right - it was very expensive, and all my other Apple products have been perfect, so I expect this one to be too. Thanks again - I'm going in!
    11-27-2013 05:35 PM
    I would get a replacement as well.
    11-27-2013 06:37 PM
    Well, I just returned from the Apple Store, and once again, nothing was too much trouble for them. Replaced, no issue - and the replacement's body is perfect, and the display appears to be perfect too. Thanks again - I wasn't sure if I was making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I'm much happier now.
    11-27-2013 10:11 PM
35 12