Any Ipad Air owners returning it for the Ipad Mini with retina?

tfdeere

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So I'm on the fence whether I want the new ipad air, or the ipad mini with retina display. I like the portability of the mini and how it's easier to read books on it...due to the size. Has anyone purchased an ipad air, and have decided to return it for the mini? Just curious.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No way! Just picked up my Air from UPS this morning and I love everything about it. The size, weight and screen quality are all great. I won't be putting my new iPad Air down for several more hours, lol. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
No way! Just picked up my Air from UPS this morning and I love everything about it. The size, weight and screen quality are all great. I won't be putting my new iPad Air down for several more hours, lol. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
Congrats IR, glad you are enjoying it. I haven't put mine down since Friday. :D

To the OP: No I am not going to return it. :)

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I was on the fence between the Air and mini since the announcement and finally opted to buy the Air at the last minute. Really glad I did. It's only a quarter pound heavier than the mini and it's so thin it feels like something out of a sci-fi movie. I'll definitely be keeping it!

Can't wait to see what the retina mini looks like in the store, though 😄

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I love the mini. Gave my iPad 2 to my son once the mini came out and haven't looked back......until the air came out. I bought the air Friday morning as soon as it came out with the full intention of just using it until the mini 2 comes out and returning it. I find myself right now really enjoying the larger screen. I my biggest complains were fixed with the thinner lighter and smaller bezel.

As of right now I am still unsure if I will return it for the mini 2 or not.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

iamdjpaul

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a mini sized tablet in the past (play book) and liked the fact I could out it I my jacket pocket cargo short pockets. But coming from the ipad 2 the air feels so light. It am really suprised how light it is. Plus the bonus of a larger screen. I don't think I could use the ipad Mino sized tablet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just picked up the Air today. I'll have 30 days to decide if I want the Mini instead. So far I'm liking this so much coming from the big iPad 4.

jodihansen

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I was using both an iPad 3 and an iPad mini. I actually use both....even at the same time. Video on the iPad 3 on my desk & using iPad mini in hand for most other things.
I have sent myself crazy (yes it's a first world problem), trying to determine which one to get. I was wondering if the Air could replace my need for both or if I should get the mini w/ retina and keep using my iPad 3 for video. I was leaning towards the later. However, my husband said to go & get the Air since he would take it if I decided to get the mini instead. So now I have the Air & I love it. But, I'm still undecided. I'd love the mini w/ retina for portability. I know this since I already take my mini with me everywhere, but I now don't really want to give the Air up. The Air fits in my bag, since I'm a chick & I already took my previous iPads everywhere anyway.
In a sense, it would be nice to just consolidate into one iPad again & not have different things over two devices. I could have kept my mini, but I've already told my 11yo that she can upgrade from the iPad (1) to the mini. It will be a nice upgrade for her & her friends all have the mini.
So, I'm trying to decide between passing the Air to my husband and mini to my daughter while keeping the iPad 3 & getting the mini w/ retina OR keeping the Air for myself while passing my mini to my daughter & passing the iPad 3 to my husband. My husband hasn't had an iPad before, so he is happy with either option. I'm trying not to be greedy and take both the Air and the mini w/ retina. I don't know if mini w/ retina launch day is going to be too tempting or the fact that I just don't want to give up the Air is going to hold me back.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I tried an Air for a day or so but it went back. It didn't really change how I used it as opposed to an ipad 4 that often sat and collected dust.

It is lighter and thinner and you can hold it for a slightly longer period of time but it still gets too heavy and I find myself wanting to prop it in lap. That's not what I want in a tablet. And this is without a case which it sorely needs because it's so awkward to hold..an accident waiting to happen. Neither ipad is suitable without a case IMO.

I think another thing that hit me is that trying to use the Air (as I do the Mini), it's just too much screen. Like sitting too close to a tv. You almost need to hold it further away, and well further away is on a stand or in my lap in which case a laptop works better. An interesting question would be..do you hold the Mini the same as the Air in terms of viewing distance?

Last observation might be that using the Air is lot of work. Sitting at a desk, my hand hardly moves as I got a great mouse and scroll wheel on it for the PC. On the ipad, it's constant swiping, tapping that home button, while having to hold it with other hand. There's a bit of this with the Mini as well but I can at least hold device with one hand and use same hand to scroll or flip pages.

Just my opinions, probably not in line with the majority. I know some value that extra real estate of the Air but IMO it only makes it more awkward to use. Using the Air just reaffirmed to me that I really want the Mini.

Denisej

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying not to be greedy and take both the Air and the mini w/ retina. I don't know if mini w/ retina launch day is going to be too tempting or the fact that I just don't want to give up the Air is going to hold me back.

Lol...I may be the only member on here crazy enough to purchase both but that's what I plan to do. I already have the iPad Air and will be getting the iPad Mini w/ retina when it is released. I will be carrying the mini w/ retina with me most of the time but using the iPad Air mostly at home. It is a lot easier to carry than the iPad 3 but not quite as portable as I would like. I sold my iPad 3 right before the iPad Air was released and will sell my Android tablet as I am converting to all iOS/Apple devices now. It's not being greedy....it's enjoying life IMHO...

jodihansen

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
hehehe, I'd love to get both. I have been trying to decide one over the other though....and I'm finding it very difficult. I think I had been wanting a retina mini for so long & now Apple have fulfilled my whole wish list with the mini (retina, 128GB option & same processor as regular iPad)...but then I got the Air. Now, I still want the mini, but I love the Air.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No. I had the Mini and returned it. I prefer the extra screen real estate. The mini not having retina was not an issue for me. The form factor of the Air is perfect and what I was waiting for.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I think another thing that hit me is that trying to use the Air (as I do the Mini), it's just too much screen. Like sitting too close to a tv. You almost need to hold it further away, and well further away is on a stand or in my lap in which case a laptop works better. An interesting question would be..do you hold the Mini the same as the Air in terms of viewing distance?

I think I have to agree with cardfan. I may be one of the lucky ones. My employer just bought me an iPad Air (for work, but I can do some personal things on it as well). I really enjoy it. The smaller frame has made it seem much smaller than my soon-to-be-passed-to-my-kids iPad 2, but... It is awkward to just sit and read from it. I may be buying the mini Gen 2 shortly just because it will be easier to use as a one-handed device and the screen really is big enough to stream video... So...I will have both.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How do you have 30 days to decide if you want the iPad Air or not?

Could be in store return policy. Anyone who ordered from Apple as of Nov. 1st has until Jan. 7'th to return their iPad Air. That is what I am seeing as the return date for my new Air.

jysu5e5e.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk Pro

skye1212

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have never had an ipad. Somehow held off all this time, never being
able to justify why I really needed something more than my mac laptop.

But I've got the bug and want to get in the TM free plan for flexibility. Was
holding off for the mini, but now I'm wondering if the air is not the smarter all
around choice. But having never spent anytime with one, what do I know, lol.
I don't even know what I'll really do with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro