iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition?

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I used to think the Note 10.1 2014 edition was going to be better than the new iPad. I've just watched the Special Event, and now I'm confused. Which one is ACTUALLY better?

Fanboys not allowed to comment. Be fair.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I used to think the Note 10.1 2014 edition was going to be better than the new iPad. I've just watched the Special Event, and now I'm confused. Which one is ACTUALLY better?

Lol. I just wonder what kind of response you're going to get.:rolleyes:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't think one device is better than the other. With Apple you are paying a bit more for build quality and aesthetic design but you get the reliability of a relatively closed system so even on "weaker" hardware you might find iOS running better than on a similarly specced Android machine. You're also reasonably assured of access to ongoing support and firmware updates.

With the Note 10.1 you gain the unique features of the s-pen (I love my Note 3 and would consider the 10.1 for sure because of that) and Samsung's proprietary apps but may not be guaranteed the latest, greatest version of Android. This may or may not be a deal breaker depending on how important you consider having the latest version of the OS to be.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
There both great devices and it comes down to the S pen and ecosystem. Apple has better apps available for tablets, but the note is better for productivity. Personally I'm android all the way but apple knows how to nail a solid tablet. It's too bad their phones stink though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
With the Note 10.1 you gain the unique features of the s-pen (I love my Note 3 and would consider the 10.1 for sure because of that) and Samsung's proprietary apps but may not be guaranteed the latest, greatest version of Android.
It can be correct when you think the 2014 Note 10.1 will come with Android 4.3, but Samsung will probably build KitKat (4.4) later into 2014. They say KitKat is going to be much better than Jelly Bean (Android 4.1/4.2/4.3) but I'm not sure.
(05/11/13) No replies?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone still here?

Yes, but as Karen has already stated, it is doubtful that you will find many people who have owned or currently own both devices. The replies you've received thus far has been fair, in my opinion. There is not right or wrong in this regard. You have to decide which device is best suited for what you want and need it to do, and only YOU can answer that question...:)

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I love android and honestly, I only bought the Air because I am a Mac user meaning 60% of my library are Protected iTunes purchases.

I love the Note series, I have the 3 and had the 8 LTE but sold it for the Air, like I said I need access to my library.

TouchWiz's best features are Pop-Up Video and MultiWindow, the S-Pen is the cherry on top.

If you're not attached like I am I would get the Note 10.1 2014 for sure.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the Samsung Note edition so I can't speak for that. I choose the iPad Air and love it. I wouldn't use any other tablet, ymmv.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I was never a fan of Apple products but now I own a 5s and a IPad Air. By far the best products I have ever owned! The phrase "it just works" is 100% true!

I have owned all the other platforms and apple has them beat by a mile!

Ron Hites

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm Apple all the way now. (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPod, iPad)
I used to own android and Windows platforms and have to say I will never go back to that...

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I've only used the Note at the launch event at IFA, but even from that short time I wouldn't trade my iPad Air for it. If you like and need the extra that the pen gives to the Note, then absolutely go for that one. Otherwise it's a no brainer for me :)

knuck1111

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I currently own both of these tablets, the 32 gb. octa-core Exynos version of the Note and the 128 gb. version of the Air. During the last week I have noted several differences that I will list below. By way of background, I am a Note 3 user and am not a fan of the iPhone, although I have owned a few in the past. I have, however, been an iPad and Mac user for many years. So far I have not found a worthy Android tablet competitor. I was hoping that the Note 10.1 2014 edition would change that. Now that you are aware of my biases I will list the differences I have discovered:

1. The ipad is lighter and for my hands is slightly more ergonomic to hold;
  2. Battery life appears to be significantly better on the ipad although this may vary depending on the services you have turned on ie bluetooth etc;
  3. The Air appears to be smoother, quicker and more refined. Although on paper, as evidenced by several benchmark scores posted around the internet, the Galaxy should be quicker, I did not find this to be the case. For some reason, the Note has noticable lag, often when opening applications. I also experienced some stutter when scrolling. These issues did not show up on the ipad ;
  4. The Air was significantly quicker surfing the web. I performed several tests using various Android browsers including the native internet browser, Chrome, Dolphin and Maxthon. Of the Android browsers Maxthon was the quickest although it had issues typing on websites such as this one. It was very difficult to get the cursor to appear at a desired location. This was not an issue with the other browsers. Safari on the iPad was significantly quicker in most tests. Basically I opened several internet pages simultaneously on both devices. In some cases Safari was twice as quick opening the same page. I ran a Ookla speed test. Both devices achieved similar download scores on my network so that was not the cause. I am not sure if this is related to the lag problem or if Safari is a superior browser. I expect the former as many have reported browsers such as Chrome to be superior to Safari;
  5. Both screens are outstanding. In portrait orientation, the Air may be slightly more ergonomic as a result of its 4:3 aspect ratio. In landscape, I preferred the Note, especially when viewing 16:9 material. The Note in this orientation is noticeably larger and watching video was more enjoyable;
  6. I prefer the speakers on the Note to the iPad although I rarely use them as I mostly use headphones. I prefer the sound of the Galaxy through the headphone jack as well. Although very subjective, I noted a more open and detailed sound with more refined bass with the Note through the same headphones playing the same source material;
  7. The Air lacks multitasking which the Galaxy excels at if you use the native applications. You can have up to 6 apps running simultateously on the same screen. Unfortunately all apps are not supported. The air does, as a result of its intuitive operating system as mentioned above, allow you to quickly move from one screen to the other. Although not as useful as true multitasking it does narrow the gap somewhat;
  8. The Note has an external memory slot for up to 64gb. of additional memory allowing for a possible total of 128gb. The iPad obviously does not and to get the full 128gb. results in a more expensive tablet. So if cost and storage is an issue, the Galaxy has the potential to be the less expensive alternative;
  9. One of the main reasons for choosing the Galaxy over the Air would be for those who require or prefer the use of a pen. I have not used or researched third party options for the ipad. I would doubt that if any viable third party options existed they would integrate as well as the sPen does;
  10. The ipad has considerably more tablet designed apps available, at least for now; and
  11. As I do not typically use tablet cameras, I have no comment in this area.

Hopefully these observations will provide a little insight. I strongly recommend that if you can try them both to see which one suits you better for feel and overall experience. If this is not possible for you and you have a specific question I have not covered above, let me know and I will try to answer it as best as I can.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro