For your new iPad Air will you go naked or case it?

MisterMe11

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Does the Belkin back have a raised 'lip' around the edge of the screen? Your picture shows it upside down on a carpet. Could you do that with a hard surface like a table? i.e. will the case keep the screen elevated off a flat surface if the iPad is placed screen-down? Based on pictures I have seen (which are not clear/detailed enough) it looks like the Belkin back does not have a raised lip.

The Smart Case does have a lip. I find that the smart case is a little awkward with the cover permanently attached (especially for games which use the accelerometers). I like the idea of a back and a removable cover, but the back needs to have a lip just to provide a little bit of extra protection for the screen.

The pictures on the Belkin site appear to show a long cut-out along one edge of the shell. I was thinking that this is cut out to allow the smart cover to attach directly, but you said you are attaching it over top of part of the protector?

Thanks

I tried the Smart Case and it wasn't for me. Wound up returning it and getting the Smart Cover and a frosted clear Belkin back. I like this combo far better. It's lighter, cheaper and provides a better grip. And the magnets in the Smart Cover are strong enough to keep the cover clinging to the back of the Air even through the clear protector!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/06/ehe4ehup.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/06/8ahuqade.jpg

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I tried the Smart Case and it wasn't for me. Wound up returning it and getting the Smart Cover and a frosted clear Belkin back. I like this combo far better. It's lighter, cheaper and provides a better grip. And the magnets in the Smart Cover are strong enough to keep the cover clinging to the back of the Air even through the clear protector!

This is the same setup I had with my iPad 4. Much better than the Smart Case.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

I had the same set up for my iPad 2 just with a blue cover. This time I went with a poetic slime line case that someone recommended on here. Just waiting it from amazon

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums app

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does the Belkin back have a raised 'lip' around the edge of the screen? Your picture shows it upside down on a carpet. Could you do that with a hard surface like a table? i.e. will the case keep the screen elevated off a flat surface if the iPad is placed screen-down? Based on pictures I have seen (which are not clear/detailed enough) it looks like the Belkin back does not have a raised lip.

The Smart Case does have a lip. I find that the smart case is a little awkward with the cover permanently attached (especially for games which use the accelerometers). I like the idea of a back and a removable cover, but the back needs to have a lip just to provide a little bit of extra protection for the screen.

The pictures on the Belkin site appear to show a long cut-out along one edge of the shell. I was thinking that this is cut out to allow the smart cover to attach directly, but you said you are attaching it over top of part of the protector?

Thanks

It has a VERY slight lip.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So I went with a poetic slime line case. It's pretty much a back cover and a Smart Cover put together. Feels nice. Folded the cover and tapped the iPad to see if it would easily topple over. So far so good. Also have a Spigen screen protector on it. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1384032541.904403.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums app

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've ordered a sleeve so I can protect it when not I. Use, but I think I'm going to risk using it naked. It just looks and feels beautiful!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

ehe4ehup.jpg

8ahuqade.jpg

You know your setup is rather minimal and appealing... don't mind me if I steal your idea and order a belkin back and smart cover... ;) lol

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No case here and I like it I do have a sleeve for when not in use but other than that I like it naked ... I'll prob get a case sooner or later atleast when I find the right one

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I changed my mind I bought a pouch for my Air, cost me $5.88 it's an Acme Made I found on clearance.

This is how amazing and how much I love the Air, that I take it out with me all the time.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Anker sent me a screen protector to try out. I don't usually put a screen protector on my iPads, too many installation problems. I'll type up a review and post it in the accessories section soon.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone using a stick-on film in the back of their Air? I like my Belkin clear case but I can't help but be curious as to how the extra few ounces would affect the feel :)

rryoung

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got and installed a best skin ever matte film on my back and I love it. Offers a lot of protection with no extra weight. Plus with the matte film you can't tell it's there.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Love the skins for the iPad. However, this year on two occasions I accidentally dropped my iPad 3 and the skin didn't protect the edges. Luckily I had the Smart Cover and the glass didn't break and it still worked perfectly. But, I wish I had a case and I do now.

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Matte back skin (BSE) and Apple Smart Cover. If I'm going into the wild, maybe a slim back case alas Poetic or one of the cheaper eBay China cases. I'm all about keeping it as minimal as possible.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I went with the Apple Smart Case in red. I got it for $20 off so I figured it was worth the try. I love it.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Now I wish I had a case on my iPad Air. Last night a friend was looking at my iPad Air and he dropped it onto the granite countertop just a few inches onto a corner. I was upset, he said that these things are durable and nothing was damaged. Later, when he was gone, I looked closely at it and there is a small chip off the silver paint revealing shiny aluminum underneath. He will never touch any of my devices ever again.

rryoung

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Now I wish I had a case on my iPad Air. Last night a friend was looking at my iPad Air and he dropped it onto the granite countertop just a few inches onto a corner. I was upset, he said that these things are durable and nothing was damaged. Later, when he was gone, I looked closely at it and there is a small chip off the silver paint revealing shiny aluminum underneath. He will never touch any of my devices ever again.
Throw a matte back best skins ever (BSE) on the back. The matte finish might hide the shiny exposed aluminum and it dosent add any bulk at all.