If you had to choose between the two, which one would you pick based on your needs?
    10-24-2013 04:21 PM
    Based on my needs, the Macbook Air. Personally, I've yet to find the real usage medium for the iPad...and I find myself constantly realizing that things I regularly do on my Macbook Pro (or any notebook for that matter) are things that are still either impossible to on the iPad, or require too many extra steps for me to do optimally. The Macbook Air, while short on internal storage (compared to what I'm used to), still functions 99% as a normal notebook.

I think most tablets are still several generations away from being real notebook replacements for my needs.
    Just_Me_D and wildmangk like this.
    10-24-2013 04:33 PM
    It has become tougher now. Most of even the technical software I use are there for iPad. So it serves both work and play. However I'd still pick MacBook Air. OS X is more flexible compared to iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-24-2013 04:35 PM
    That's tough. Battery life is similar. The MacBook screen isn't as sharp, at a resolution of 1366x768, vs the iPad at 2048x1536... if you get the 128gb iPad, it has the same storage as the base MacBook Air. Which also keeps their prices close. The 128gb iPad will run you $799, vs the base MacBook Air at $999. Both have a 1.3gb dual core, but it's a Core i5 vs the A7. The MacBook starts with 4gb of RAM, and is running OS X... vs 1gb of RAM and iOS 7. I don't know what the iPad has in the way of a GPU, but the MacBook has Intel HD Graphics. The MBA can handle dual display and video mirroring, including output to a Thunderbolt display at 2560x1600 resolution. iPad can do AirPlay mirroring, and video mirroring through a Lightning adapter. The MacBook has 2 USB 3 ports and a Thunderbolt port... vs the iPad's Lightning port.

If you chose, for $929 you can get the iPad in 128gb capacity, with LTE support. Which makes it more useful as a mobile device over the MBA.

If you spec the MacBook Air up at all... you might as well go with a Retina MacBook Pro. Now that they start at $1299, they are quite the value buy.

Anyway... I guess for my usage personally, considering I already have a MacBook Pro, between these two I'd go iPad Air. If I didn't have my MBP, between these two options, I'd probably go for the MacBook Air.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 10-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-24-2013 05:03 PM
    Based on my needs, the Macbook Air. Personally, I've yet to find the real usage medium for the iPad...and I find myself constantly realizing that things I regularly do on my Macbook Pro (or any notebook for that matter) are things that are still either impossible to on the iPad, or require too many extra steps for me to do optimally. The Macbook Air, while short on internal storage (compared to what I'm used to), still functions 99% as a normal notebook.

I think most tablets are still several generations away from being real notebook replacements for my needs.
    This mirrors my sentiments to the letter, my friend....
    10-24-2013 06:51 PM
    I still have to learn how to use a Mac. Have and always been a PC user, but with the latest garbage Win8 is... Don't surprise you I move to the fruit for my laptop needs
    10-24-2013 07:01 PM
    iPad Air because I already have a rMBP.
    Hiri89 likes this.
    10-24-2013 08:16 PM
    I must admit there are times I am using my iPad and something comes up so I have to put it down and pick up my Mac. But if I was to pick between the two I'd go with the Macbook Air. Especially because I'm a student and nothing beats a keyboard and trackpad for class. (Besides actual paper)
    10-24-2013 08:23 PM
    Ditto, except my MBP is not retina.
    10-25-2013 01:24 AM
    For me, no doubt, the MacBook Air.
    10-25-2013 04:08 AM
    MacBook Air. If I wanted a Ipad Air I could just use my phone
    10-25-2013 05:54 AM
    iPad Air for sure. I only have a 7" tab now and could use the larger screen for comics.

I'm (mostly) happy with my current laptop and would prefer a Mac Mini to a Macbook Air

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    10-25-2013 06:11 AM
    I traded my iPad in during the summer to get a good price for it and after doing so, I realized how much I liked having it around. But I would rather have my 11 inch MacBook Air if I was forced to chose. Don't get me wrong I am buying an iPad Air on launch day, but the MacBook Air is just more suited for working.
    10-25-2013 07:04 PM
    Ipad air. I have an ipad and a Mac air and I find myself using the ipad way more. I use it to surf the net, check email and twitter.
    10-25-2013 07:58 PM
    Oh hell, just get both, like me. Have a new MacBook Air and will be pairing it with the new iPad Air. Cannot ever have too much of a good thing. Right?
    10-28-2013 11:49 PM
    I assume this question means similar price. So a decked out ipad. Or a base model MBA. I'd get the ipad. Typically, I don't buy the base models.
    10-29-2013 09:36 AM
    Macbook Air of course. It's thinness still amazes to this day.

I mean just look at it.

10-29-2013 07:42 PM
    Maybe the point of the topic was: What can you do on a MBA that you can't on an equipped (understand, with a keyboard if the convenience is required) iPad Air?

On such a question, I have to agree that for general public the OS features the same things.
    Or maybe I'm missing something? Point it out for me if so please!!
    10-29-2013 07:51 PM
    Maybe the point of the topic was: What can you do on a MBA that you can't on an equipped (understand, with a keyboard if the convenience is required) iPad Air?

On such a question, I have to agree that for general public the OS features the same things.
    Or maybe I'm missing something? Point it out for me if so please!!
    You can create new iOS apps on a MacBook Air.
    You can create Mac apps on a MacBook Air.
    Graphics/art professionals who need a graphics tablet like the Wacom series.
    Just the raw horsepower of a MacBook Air running Intel processors. As amazing as the speed of the A7 processor is, one estimate I read said that it was about equivalent to laptop processors or a Mac mini from about 4 years ago.
    Video conversion. I haven't seen an iPad app yet that will convert say MPEG to m4v. An MacBook Air will do that with ease.
    If you really need it, you can view Flash on the MacBook Air.
    You can connect more types of peripherals to the MacBook Air via USB, thunderbolt. The iPad has a few limited adapters to connect a camera or an hdmi out, but you can connect external storage to the MacBook Air or a USB microphone or other endless possibilities.
    If need be and with the right adapter you can connect a MacBook Air via Ethernet rather than wifi. Useful in some circumstances such as a hotel without wifi but with Ethernet jacks in the room.
    dalaen and Trees like this.
    10-29-2013 08:22 PM
    MacBook Air.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-29-2013 10:56 PM
    Based on my needs right now MacBook Air. Barring any hardware failures I can rock my iPad 2 for maybe another couple of years. By then the iPad Invisible will be out.
    10-29-2013 11:10 PM
    Easy for me, MBA. Can't do code on an iPad.
    If anything, I will get the mini to add to my MBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jarofclay73 likes this.
    10-29-2013 11:37 PM
    I've been thinking for so long, what would I use an iPad for?

The only thing I can think of is if I'm on an Airplane or on a trip or something. Otherwise... I just wouldn't use one.
    10-30-2013 02:25 AM
    Assuming the MBA was your only computer, this is a no brained. iOS devices, while great, still have some limitations software wise. And some websites don't support mobile browsers for certain critical functions. If I had to choose one, it'd have to be the MacBook.
    11-02-2013 09:08 AM
    Exact same here!
    11-03-2013 11:25 PM
44 12