** Can you wait for Touch ID Next Year or Jump the Shark Right NOW?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know which way to go. Part of me wants to get a new one next month but I also like Touch ID on my 5s and want to wait. I just don't think I can wait a WHOLE YEAR. What about you?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Get a new one now... then, one with TouchID when it comes out, and sell the one you don't want anymore...

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know which way to go. Part of me wants to get a new one next month but I also like Touch ID on my 5s and want to wait. I just don't think I can wait a WHOLE YEAR. What about you?

Sometimes I can't resist the upgrade; sometimes I hold out.

The iPhone 5s, I couldn't resist, even though I'd bought a 5 outright last year. Touch ID plus 64-bit processing was an irresistible combination.

The iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina, I can resist. I have an iPad 2 that I will continue using till next year, as I do want to wait for Touch ID.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty sure I was going to wait no matter what was announced on Tuesday. I just bought the 5s, so making another semi expensive luxury purchase probably wasn't going to happen either way. I did check resale value on my ipad 3 (which is quite a bit lower then I thought it would be) just in case something really game changing was announced (some might argue that 64 bit chip is game changing). The air announcement seemed like a half update to me though, 64 bit chip, but no touch ID.

If money isn't a big issue, then you can always get the new version and sell it next year when the new one comes out. Personally I'll get one more year out of my ipad 3 (which would be around the every 2 year cycle I'm trying to keep to).

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was very excited to get the ipad air with the touch sensor. My wife's 5s is great in that aspect. Knowing now that it won't have it was a bummer, but it has not swayed me away from purchasing it on day one.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Buying one on Friday fingerprint sensor not that big of a deal for me. I was going for the iPad mini but seeing how light weight the regular iPad air is I am switching.

robertpetry

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I may have used it incorrectly but you got my point anyway. I liked the link. Very clever and nice.

You are welcome. I was just joking obviously. Thanks for taking the little joke as such and with a smile. Not enough people do that :)

As I said, I'm buying now. My 3 was just ready to get an upgrade after iOS7. If it sat on my bedside table or coffee table all the time I wouldn't upgrade yet. But I take the thing out a lot and use the heck out of it. Size and responsiveness are important to me and I will get the value out of it. I sold my 64GB LTE 3 for $450. Not bad.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I find it pretty idiotic that many reviewers are listing its absence as a con. Is this a universal feature found on all tablets now? Should EVERY new tablet released now without fingerprint sensor get this listed as a con?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I find it pretty idiotic that many reviewers are listing its absence as a con. Is this a universal feature found on all tablets now? Should EVERY new tablet released now without fingerprint sensor get this listed as a con?

I never said it was a con but a wish for it to be on the tablet. I will assume it will be on the 2014 edition, cardfan.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I never said it was a con but a wish for it to be on the tablet. I will assume it will be on the 2014 edition, cardfan.

I meant most of the reviews I've seen. I didn't mean to attribute this to anyone in this thread. It shouldn't be a con.

As for next year? Without a doubt it will. It's a great update to throw in to promote new sales. The iphone gets more margin for them so I'd expect to see it get features like this sooner.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do what I do every year, buy the newest one available, use it for a year until the next big release, sell it, throw some extra cash in there, and get the next newest thing. :)

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I've pretty much decided that I'll forgo the 2014 iPad and keep the Air at least for two years. If Touch ID is the only major addition to the iPad next year, that's exactly what I'll be doing.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I love the touch ID on my 5s, but for the iPad air it wasn't as critical in my opinion. The phone is carried everywhere and constantly in and out of pocket so touch ID is very useful. The Air is more a home use, longer sessions usage. Have the wifi version. Don't need another data bill. I find myself signing in one tenth as many times as with phone. Your situation may differ, but now that I have used the Air since day one, I definitely do not regret getting it now or in place of rMini I had originally planned on. Enjoy the Air for a year and sell it if next year's model has what you prefer. Why deprive yourself for the next twelve months.