Full Screen video playback in iPad Air 2?

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I was just wondering if there's a way to get the videos to playback and fill the whole screen? Or do I need to get an app to do that? If so can you guys recommend one?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPad Air 2 is capable of displaying full screen videos, however, not all videos are made to display in full screen mode.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
The video I took with the iPad shows black bars the top and the bottom. I would like the video to fill the whole screen. Is it some setting that I'm missing or something?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not at home at the moment, but I should be back within the next hour and a half. I’ll then record a video using my 9.7” iPad Pro and see if I can see what you’re seeing and figure out what’s going on.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I’m not at home at the moment, but I should be back within the next hour and a half. I’ll then record a video using my 9.7” iPad Pro and see if I can see what you’re seeing and figure out what’s going on.

I've tried a couple video apps, like ProMovie, but the videos I recorded with these also have bars at the top and bottom. I just can't figure out where in the settings that I can change this, providing it can be changed. I've been Googling trying to find where in the iPad settings this could be changed, but I haven't located anything yet.

I'll keep searching video apps to see if I can find one that has a setting for the video to fill the whole screen. You would think this would be a normal setting with any video app, but it doesn't appear to be.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I've tried a couple video apps, like ProMovie, but the videos I recorded with these also have bars at the top and bottom. I just can't figure out where in the settings that I can change this, providing it can be changed. I've been Googling trying to find where in the iPad settings this could be changed, but I haven't located anything yet.

I'll keep searching video apps to see if I can find one that has a setting for the video to fill the whole screen. You would think this would be a normal setting with any video app, but it doesn't appear to be.
Via my 9.7” iPad Pro, I created a short video depicting the living room, however, upon viewing the video, I did not see any bars at the top and bottom, whether in portrait or landscape mode. In case it’s a setting of some sort, try resetting all settings and then create another video to see if the bars appear in it.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I looked through the iPad settings and can't find any resetting. Do you know where I can find the resets for these things?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I looked through the iPad settings and can't find any resetting. Do you know where I can find the resets for these things?

Go to Settings → General → Reset, and then select “Reset All Settings”. You will not lose your data, but you will have to re-enter your Wi-Fi passcode as well as pair your Bluetooth devices with your iPad again, if applicable.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. I'll try this out and let you know what happens. I did find a pretty decent looking video app called MoviePro, but they want six bucks for it. There's also one called Horizon Camera, which lets you record horizontal videos and photos no matter how you hold your device. It's free so I might have to check that one out.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Go to Settings → General → Reset, and then select “Reset All Settings”. You will not lose your data, but you will have to re-enter your Wi-Fi passcode as well as pair your Bluetooth devices with your iPad again, if applicable.

I reset the iPad and all the videos still have bars at the top and bottom. I even made a new one, just to test it out, and the bars are still there.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I reset the iPad and all the videos still have bars at the top and bottom. I even made a new one, just to test it out, and the bars are still there.

Are you using the native Camera app to record the videos or are you using a 3rd-party app?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I used the camera app on the iPad. Where do you check for (or change) the aspect ratio?

On the iPhone (I assume it’s the same on the iPad), go to Settings → Camera → Record Video

Note: I’m running the latest beta of iOS 11.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
My iPad has OS 10.3.2 (while I was checking it says there's a software update to iOS 10.3.3 so I'm downloading that now.)

In Photos & Camera > Record Video . it's already set to 1080p HD at 30 fps

I didn't see any aspect ratio settings.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I wrote the developer of MoviePro and asked him if his app could record video in full screen. His reply was, "If you choose a resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio in the settings, it will fill the screen."

I know that somewhere on this iPad is an aspect ratio setting, because in all my clunking around I did see a setting somewhere for 16:9 and 4:3. I just don't remember where it was.

There's also something in the manual about storing videos and photos in iCloud and somehow you can optimize that to get your original images, but I'm not clear how that works yet.

I could not find anything in the manual for aspect ratio and the only part that talks about resolution is for iCloud, but nowhere does it tell you how or where these settings are on the iPad.

dougdraws

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I took the plunge and purchased ProCam 4. Pretty impressive app and it shoots video (and photos) that fill the whole screen. Nice :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711