Why does 3rd party keyboard popup on iPad when using Bluetooth Keyboard?

Volcom45

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
For the longest time, I've used the stock Apple on screen keyboard on my iPad combined with a Logitech bluetooth keyboard when at work. I've never had this issue before. I recently made the move to GBoard as my main on screen keyboard after they just added voice dictation capability, because I prefer the swype to type that Apple has never given it's keyboard. I deleted my main "English Keyboard" so that I'd not have the pesky issues of it defaulting back to the stock Apple keyboard but I'm struggling with this issue of the GBoard keyboard always popping up by default when I launch iMessage or tap a field to type in, even while my Bluetooth keyboard is connected. Even turning off BT keyboard and back on again doesn't make the GBoard vanish. I have to manually hit the down arrow every time to gain half of my screen real estate back. Extremely annoying. Anyone experienced this and have any solutions?
Much thanks!

Last edited:

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't have GBoard installed on my iPad, so I don't have any experience to relay. It is possible that GBoard is just trying to work out how to act as a main keyboard. Try turning your iPhone off and then back on again. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button for five seconds. Then slide to power off. Wait about 30 seconds. Then, hold down the Sleep/Wake button for about 10-15 seconds to turn it back on. Make sure you know your iPhone passcode (if you use one) before doing this. You have to enter a passcode when restarting your iPhone, not Touch ID.

Volcom45

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I unfortunately already tried a hard shutdown/power back on but same behavior continues.. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I unfortunately already tried a hard shutdown/power back on but same behavior continues.. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Does the Gboard keyboard have a function key? It should have a keyboard icon on it. If so, use that key to Hide the Gboard. If that doesn't work, then it's a Gboard issue. SwiftKey had the same problem a while back. If you want to swipe, try another keyboard that offers swipe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner