Still beats the best Andoid tablet in 2016

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I was tempted to post this on AC instead but I felt it would've come off as troll-ish so I didn't. I just wanted to express my wonder that the 2 year old iPad Air 2 still beats the best Android has to offer - the Pixel C - in basically every category that matters:

• least number of quality issues
  • better optimization and performance
  • better battery life despite less MaH
  • better tablet apps
  • Google's Pixel C has a known and reported wifi issue and WiFi is a fundamental core for tablets
  • better accessories
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Bigger storage option
  • Weight

That's impressive! :yes:

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Is the Pixel C the best Android tablet though? What about the Tab S2 from Samsung...that looks pretty dope...but yeah as a standalone tablet the iPad Air 2 is a very solid device. But iPads in general are pretty good tablets...my iPad 4 is still pretty snappy after almost 3 years of use, but got an Air 2 for its much lighter and sleeker size...

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Is the Pixel C the best Android tablet though? What about the Tab S2 from Samsung...that looks pretty dope...but yeah as a standalone tablet the iPad Air 2 is a very solid device. But iPads in general are pretty good tablets...my iPad 4 is still pretty snappy after almost 3 years of use, but got an Air 2 for its much lighter and sleeker size...

Samsung tablets have 2 big strikes against them still though: bloatware and delayed updates. In 2016 that's just not acceptable for techy people but these devices are just aimed at folks who don't even know what a software update is.

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Samsung tablets have 2 big strikes against them still though: bloatware and delayed updates. In 2016 that's just not acceptable for techy people but these devices are just aimed at folks who don't even know what a software update is.

Exactly. Most people don't care about software updates. Heck I know people who can't tell whether their devices are on marshmallow or 10.1.1!! So if you disregard that then there's just the bloatware, which to my knowledge also has been reduced by Samsung of late...I have seen and tried the Tab S2 at a store and I have to say that screen is breathtaking...Sadly 6 months after purchase the tablet will start lagging and hanging, something that ipads don't do as much...

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Tab S2 also has poor battery life. A 5, 870mAh battery in my LTE-equipped 9.7" model isn't that great. Bloatware is also annoying.

Still contemplating an Air 2 for myself

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I tried Android first and didn't care for it. I liked being able to see the actual file structure the way I can on my Ubuntu box, but it only took a few hours for me to realize that this was mostly cosmetic. Apple has shown itself to be more trustworthy than google, imnsho. Air 2 is still the latest iPad unless you need the larger model, which I don't. It seems to boot up a bit slower with iOS 10 than it did with 9, but once it's going it doesn't seem to be particularly bloated from the perspective of a fluxbox/jwm user who despises KDE and Gnome 3.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I am an Android fanboy for as long as I can remember but I just gave up on Android and want a phone that just works without modifying or playing with settings to run smooth.

With that said, Nexus Pixel tablet is very nice but at that price with low memory, I wasn't dropping money on that. I bought the iPad Air 2. It's cheaper and way more memory.

Android needs tweaking to run smooth and optimal battery life. iOS just runs out of the box smoothly with good battery life. I don't care for style.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
With that said, Nexus Pixel tablet is very nice but at that price with low memory, I wasn't dropping money on that. I bought the iPad Air 2. It's cheaper and way more memory.

The Air 2 is cheaper *now*. When the Pixel C was released, the prices were the same for the same amounts of storage. It was only after the iPad Pro 9.7 had been released that the Air 2's price dropped.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I am an Android fanboy for as long as I can remember but I just gave up on Android and want a phone that just works without modifying or playing with settings to run smooth.

Android needs tweaking to run smooth and optimal battery life. iOS just runs out of the box smoothly with good battery life. I don't care for style.

Another longtime Android fanboy here who also loves his Air 2 - great performance and stability with a ton of good apps. Only things Android-unique I still use on those devices are apps for in-depth WiFi signal info and GPS info (satellite data, etc). I used to enjoy rooting but now i just want a device that always works well so the Air 2 gets the vast majority of use.

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I love my iPads..have 2 of them and touchwood have had no major issues so far..But I also have a Nexus 7 2013 and I love it as well..it's fairly smooth and despite being a 3 year old tablet, is very fast. I also like that it can be comfortably held in one hand...Although the air 2 is light enough to be used one handed as well. Anyways, I love the best of both Worlds...kind of excited about the rumored Nexus 7 2016...

Adramyttium

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm testing out an Asus Chromebook flip with Google Play Services so that it will run Android apps. If they get things further streamlined, this kind of setup will be very compelling and could become the best, in my opinion.

Ericclark4

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I prefer my iPad mini over any android tablet that I've used, the screen is clearer and there are more apps available on IOS than android plus my android phone malfunctions ALL THE TIME. Looking to get an iPhone.

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
I've been an Android fanboy for years now, have felt that Apple is too proprietary. But I love tech. I got a Kindle Fire HD8 16gb for Christmas, my first tablet. It's ok but running very slow.

For awhile now I've been curious about the Apple ecosystem. Android is highly customizable but with limitations. My ZTE ZMax Pro is running Android 6.0.1. With adoptable storage. I can incorporate the memory card into the overall storage of the phone. My LG G5 is running the same version, but has disabled this function. Maybe because it comes encrypted.

I recently broke down and bought an open box iPad Air 2 32bg from Best Buy.
I love it. Getting used to it, couldn't afford the 128gb version. It's faster and more efficient than the Kindle but I guess that's like comparing a Schwinn bicycle to a Harley.

I wish though that Apple hadn't disabled the ability to Bluetooth files from my Android devices to my iPad. I solved the problem with Send Anywhere, but shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
To be fair, the last two years, tablet hasn't gotten much attention and little to no updates on them. Not just Apple but Android too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner