Don't Know How I Feel

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
On one hand, I'm happy Apple didn't release an updated iPad Air. That means I still have the current model and there's no pressure to upgrade.

On the other, this leaves the future of the iPad Air uncertain. Is there room for three different sized tablets in Apple's lineup? Apple could keep the Air and Pro and get rid of the mini, or keep the mini and Pro and get rid of the Air. Though possible, neither of these seem very likely. For now, at least.

My biggest concern is Apple keeping the Air a year behind in specs just like the mini. Apple didn't upgrade the Air at all this year, so next year are they going to skip the A9 and upgrade it to the A10? Or will Apple's flagship iPad for the past 5 years now get stuck a generation behind the iPhone and iPad Pro? I have no interest in the iPad Pro and I don't want to have to buy a 13" tablet to get the latest specs.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
On one hand, I'm happy Apple didn't release an updated iPad Air. That means I still have the current model and there's no pressure to upgrade.

On the other, this leaves the future of the iPad Air uncertain. Is there room for three different sized tablets in Apple's lineup? Apple could keep the Air and Pro and get rid of the mini, or keep the mini and Pro and get rid of the Air. Though possible, neither of these seem very likely. For now, at least.

My biggest concern is Apple keeping the Air a year behind in specs just like the mini. Apple didn't upgrade the Air at all this year, so next year are they going to skip the A9 and upgrade it to the A10? Or will Apple's flagship iPad for the past 5 years now get stuck a generation behind the iPhone and iPad Pro? I have no interest in the iPad Pro and I don't want to have to buy a 13" tablet to get the latest specs.

I hear your concerns, but only time will tell. I'm sure they have a plan/roadmap, even if they don't make it public.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh no doubt they do. But I want to stick with the Air-sized iPad and I don't want to keep buying last year's specs if they push the Pro with a specs advantage. Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.

iloveamystery

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think most people will be replacing their iPad Airs with the Pro. Seems more suitable for a MacBook Air replacement. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems too large to be usable in the same situations as a regular sized iPad.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple will move to a two year upgrade cycle for iPads, given that people are not upgrading iPads the way they do their phones. They did very little with the mini last year - just added Touch ID. Can't see them upgrading the pro every year - they have packed so much into this one.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Apple will move to a two year upgrade cycle for iPads, given that people are not upgrading iPads the way they do their phones. They did very little with the mini last year - just added Touch ID. Can't see them upgrading the pro every year - they have packed so much into this one.

If anything, they should upgrade the processor. It's kind of dumb to have your flagship phone with a better processor than your flagship tablet.

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
iPad Air will always be a step behind the iPad pro in processing power.
The reason:the size,and maybe the Pro designation
Explanation: if it had the same chip as the one inside the iPad pro,battery life would be greatly reduced,the ipad pros size is like 70%(more or less)bigger than the iPad Air 2,so it has more space for battery,chip and passive cooling.
And yeah it has to be Pro and the other one is Air(only)

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The Pro needs a bigger battery for that massive screen.

And I don't care if the Pro is clocked a little higher. The iPad is always clocked higher than the iPhone released the same year. I just don't want last year's processor in my brand new iPad.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also agree that the iPad models should be on a two year cycle. I did want a new iPad Air. But I guess I can wait until next year if they are going to come out with another one then. I don't really care about the specs. My iPad Air 2 runs really well. And for what I need it for, it could probably last me a couple of more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Plus one for upgrading every couple years with the iPad. That makes complete sense to me

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The Pro needs a bigger battery for that massive screen.

And I don't care if the Pro is clocked a little higher. The iPad is always clocked higher than the iPhone released the same year. I just don't want last year's processor in my brand new iPad.

Yeah but with the jump to the three core cpu and 2GB of RAM it is already ahead of previous year devices. The A8 was a dual core cpu and every device but the air 2 had 1GB of ram. If you think about it this device fits on par with the iPhone 6s

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm really in my own quandary too. I want the iPad Air 2 but it's just so huge. So I'm thinking I'll get a Mini 4. Yet I've got a smaller android tablet and want a slightly bigger one for Netflix...

And this is how I ended up with two netbooks and a laptop. All different screen sizes!

My quandary is a little different from yours but darn these first world problems.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm really in my own quandary too. I want the iPad Air 2 but it's just so huge. So I'm thinking I'll get a Mini 4. Yet I've got a smaller android tablet and want a slightly bigger one for Netflix...

And this is how I ended up with two netbooks and a laptop. All different screen sizes!

My quandary is a little different from yours but darn these first world problems.

The Mini 4 isn't exactly the same as the Air 2. The Air 2 has the A8x chip which is a three core cpu while the mini 4 has the A8 which is a dual core. I'll assume the A9 is a three core cpu thus all new cpu are now three cores or better for Apple devices. The mini 4 won't last as long as the Air 2 in theory

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but with the jump to the three core cpu and 2GB of RAM it is already ahead of previous year devices. The A8 was a dual core cpu and every device but the air 2 had 1GB of ram. If you think about it this device fits on par with the iPhone 6s

Yeah, but last year is how I feel Apple's phones and tablets should be. They both have the same processor, but the iPad's being a little more powerful. It just makes sense to have a tablet more powerful than a phone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but last year is how I feel Apple's phones and tablets should be. They both have the same processor, but the iPad's being a little more powerful. It just makes sense to have a tablet more powerful than a phone.

With iOS it matters little imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro