Ordered the iPad Air 2 but should I have gone for 4G?

crazy_kopite

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the ipad 3 and decided to upgrade to the air 2 mainly so I can play football manager classic on the go.
I had the original ipad with biggest storage and 3G I then purchased ipad 3 with 4G 64GB but this is the first time I have purchased an ipad wi-fi only. I went for iPad Air 2 with 128GB gold wi-fi only.
Do you think I should have gone for 4G or do you guys just buy wi fi only and tether from a mobile phone?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
For $130 more I went with the cellular model. You get gps on it which you don't with the wifi one and since tablet plans aren't contracts you can go month to month. I currently don't have a plan tied to mine but did for the first few months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skittlepop

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I never had a plan on my iPad 3, but decided, even if I didn't ever activate it, it was nice to know it was there if I ever needed it. So my new iPad air 2 has cellular built in. Bought it during a $50 off sale at b&h and very happy with the decision!

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I always go Wi-Fi only and tether. It's even nicer with iOS 8 now, because I can activate my phone's hotspot from my iPad, and it disconnects automatically when my iPad goes to sleep. It doesn't drain much of my iPhone's battery life and I have unlimited data with unlimited hotspot, so there's no real reason for me to get the cellular model.

The only reason I'd get the cellular model is to get the 200 MB of free data with T-Mobile for emergencies or (well, including) using Find My Phone for the iPad if I lost it.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I always go Wi-Fi only and tether. It's even nicer with iOS 8 now, because I can activate my phone's hotspot from my iPad, and it disconnects automatically when my iPad goes to sleep. It doesn't drain much of my iPhone's battery life and I have unlimited data with unlimited hotspot, so there's no real reason for me to get the cellular model.

The only reason I'd get the cellular model is to get the 200 MB of free data with T-Mobile for emergencies or (well, including) using Find My Phone for the iPad if I lost it.

Meh even if you never plan on using cellular the cellular model as I said has GPS whereas the wifi model doesn't . For $130 more you get GPS and the option to use cellular should you ever need it. Worth the price imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Meh even if you never plan on using cellular the cellular model as I said has GPS whereas the wifi model doesn't . For $130 more you get GPS and the option to use cellular should you ever need it. Worth the price imo

Don't think I've ever needed GPS on my iPad. I can't see myself ever needing it in the future either.

Plus, I think the Wi-Fi only model looks nicer without the plastic strip at the top.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Don't think I've ever needed GPS on my iPad. I can't see myself ever needing it in the future either.

Plus, I think the Wi-Fi only model looks nicer without the plastic strip at the top.

So what about the strip ? Doesn't look ugly and idc what other people think about the strip. I can't see it when I'm using it. I rather have the option to add cellular should I ever need it . Used it for a while and was nice but not on sprint where it doesn't allow me to add a tablet ... Cheaply at least

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I like having the cell as an option on mine. I pay $10 a month to have it on my plan, so it shares data as well. Mainly used when out and no WiFi service. For me the decision was based on convince, do I need LTE on the air 2? Not really, but it's a nice to have. Luckily I got mine with rewardzone points at Best Buy, so I didn't pay anything for my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So what about the strip ? Doesn't look ugly and idc what other people think about the strip. I can't see it when I'm using it. I rather have the option to add cellular should I ever need it . Used it for a while and was nice but not on sprint where it doesn't allow me to add a tablet ... Cheaply at least

Calm down. It's just my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I'm ever in the market for another iPad, I think I'll opt for the Wi-Fi + Cellular version. There were times when having cellular capability would have been sweet instead of having to connect via my iPhone's hotspot feature. The few extra bucks a month is worth it, in my opinion, even if you rarely use the cellular option.

WordPainter

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I get the Wi-Fi only version because it doesn't seen worth it to pay the extra $130 when I already have a mobile hotspot from my provider.

WordPainter

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I get the Wi-Fi only version because it doesn't seen worth it to pay the extra $130 when I already have a mobile hotspot from my provider.

I tried to edit my post but it won't let me. It gives me a gray window but I can't type in it. So user unfriendly!!

Anyway, I forgot to add that this time when I upgraded my iPad Air to the iPad Air 2 I did go with the LTE version. I like T-Mobile's free 200MB a month and pay as you need it data plans. I travel a lot and sometimes to areas where Sprint isn't so good so I like having the option to use T-Mobile if needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh