Air 2 DOA / AppleCare Experience

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well... I ordered two new iPads on Black Friday from Apple.com. One worked out of the box... the other not so much.

On initial setup, it failed Touch ID setup immediately and would not allow me to Try Again. So I finished setup and tried to set up Touch ID in the Settings app. No go, same issue, Touch ID immediately failed and would not try again. Next I tried to update from 8.1 to 8.1.1 OTA and THAT failed.

I figured the next step was to try a fresh install, so I wiped it and tried to install as new. Ran in to the Touch ID setup issue again, so off to AppleCare I went. The first call they asked me to install from iTunes, so I tried that. The update to 8.1.1 failed on verify and bricked the iPad. We put it in to DFU mode and tried again, which led to error 53 in iTunes on Verify. At that point AppleCare told me to reinstall iTunes. So I did, and called back and missed their hours by 2 minutes. Oy!

Thankfully I found the return 800 number on the invoice and chatted with them to get the exchange process started, which I have the label for this morning and I'm going to drop off at FedEx in a bit.

Sorry for rambling, but I guess my main point is that I'm a bit disappointed in AppleCare. Maybe Amazon spoiled me with some really great customer service experiences over the years, or Zappos, but Apple's system seems antiquated. The ship back label is a Two-Day FedEx label. And only when they receive it will they send off a repaired or a new iPad. There's no advanced exchange? No overnight? I understand doing some troubleshooting up front, and I realize a lot of people could have immediate assistance at an Apple Store (closest to me 175+ miles away), but it just seems like Apple is in no hurry to make a defective product right. I'm also shocked that AppleCare isn't available 24/7.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well... I ordered two new iPads on Black Friday from Apple.com. One worked out of the box... the other not so much.

On initial setup, it failed Touch ID setup immediately and would not allow me to Try Again. So I finished setup and tried to set up Touch ID in the Settings app. No go, same issue, Touch ID immediately failed and would not try again. Next I tried to update from 8.1 to 8.1.1 OTA and THAT failed.

I figured the next step was to try a fresh install, so I wiped it and tried to install as new. Ran in to the Touch ID setup issue again, so off to AppleCare I went. The first call they asked me to install from iTunes, so I tried that. The update to 8.1.1 failed on verify and bricked the iPad. We put it in to DFU mode and tried again, which led to error 53 in iTunes on Verify. At that point AppleCare told me to reinstall iTunes. So I did, and called back and missed their hours by 2 minutes. Oy!

Thankfully I found the return 800 number on the invoice and chatted with them to get the exchange process started, which I have the label for this morning and I'm going to drop off at FedEx in a bit.

Sorry for rambling, but I guess my main point is that I'm a bit disappointed in AppleCare. Maybe Amazon spoiled me with some really great customer service experiences over the years, or Zappos, but Apple's system seems antiquated. The ship back label is a Two-Day FedEx label. And only when they receive it will they send off a repaired or a new iPad. There's no advanced exchange? No overnight? I understand doing some troubleshooting up front, and I realize a lot of people could have immediate assistance at an Apple Store (closest to me 175+ miles away), but it just seems like Apple is in no hurry to make a defective product right. I'm also shocked that AppleCare isn't available 24/7.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

WOW I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I can't say I have ever thad that problem. So sorry.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand being upset with a defective iPad but 2 day fedex doesn't sound bad to me. Of course they'll send a new iPad when the defective one is received what else would they do? Send a new one on faith? I've returned things to Amazon for refund and don't get the money until the receive the product.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand being upset with a defective iPad but 2 day fedex doesn't sound bad to me. Of course they'll send a new iPad when the defective one is received what else would they do? Send a new one on faith? I've returned things to Amazon for refund and don't get the money until the receive the product.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Generally my experience at Amazon or Newegg is that they are happy to send an immediate replacement, at which point you have x amount of days to return the defective unit or your credit card is charged for an additional product. I don't expect Apple to send it on good faith, but I'm surprised advanced exchange wasn't an option.

Last edited:

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just to finish off the thread, I finally received my replacement yesterday around 5pm. I went with an install as new instead of a restore and this one is obviously perfect. Fast, fast, fast.

I just wish Apple wouldn't have had me wait a week for it. Oh well. I let them know that in their feedback, maybe they'll consider it in the future.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Generally my experience at Amazon or Newegg is that they are happy to send an immediate replacement, at which point you have x amount of days to return the defective unit or your credit card is charged for an additional product. I don't expect Apple to send it on good faith, but I'm surprised advanced exchange wasn't an option.

Apple has done that with me. They overnighted a new iPhone to me and I had 10 days to return the defective unit.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods