Advice needed to buy refurbished ipad air or new ipad air 2

brittlenut

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I would like to ask for some advice on which of the following would be a much more bang for bucks purchase as I do not own any apple products before:

1) Refurbished Ipad Air 64gb wi-fi only for SGD 608

or

2) Brand new Ipad Air 2 64gb wi-fi only for SGD 828

I planned to use this Ipad for 2 to 3 years before changing to a new one. As for my main use, I will be using it for reading books, pdfs for school, watching videos and surfing the net. So my first priority is for school use as IOS has some apps required for my studies. As for gaming, it would be my second priority as I seldom game on my android phone as well although I would like to play some games such as FTL on ipad. I do not care much for the TouchID on the ipad air 2 but the extra ram and newer screen makes me feel tempted to get the air 2 as I heard people complaining that 1gb of ram on ipad air 1 is not enough and will have constant reloads. Hence, I am not sure which of the two above would be a much better buy as technology values depreciates fast and do not know if the extra features is worth the extra $220. Hope you guys will be able to give me some advices on it. Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The newer device is better, however, the older device should be more than sufficient for the usage you described, in my opinion. Having said that, it boils down to whether the extra $220 is worth it to "you". Good luck with your decision.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would say either would be fine, but the more beefed up internals of the Air 2 and 2 GB of RAM will keep it from getting outdated for longer than the original Air.

I upgraded from a Mini 2 to an Air 2 and I do like having the faster speed and more RAM. It was worth it for me. :)

anon(9179520)

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
If you want to use this iPad for up to 3 years, definitely go with the Air 2. The iOS version in 3 years from now will likely not support the Air 1.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Dealing with refurbished iPads from the Apple Store would be a very long story for me to post,,, it would be a 2 hour post.

So I will cut right to the point,,,,, DO NOT BUY a refurbished Apple anything.

I speak from great experience from doing many exchange's for faulty "it just works" products.

Get new,,,, and if you need to exchange it DEMAND new in the exchange as well,,,,,,,, run as fast as you can from refurbished Apple products.

Been there, done that.

Cheers
Davyo

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I personally always buy new as well, but I know people who buy refurb models and they haven't had any problems with them. I think Apple has the best refurb program, but I still don't trust refurbs as much as new models.

have24

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I bought my iPad 2 from Apple's refurbished store way back when. My in-laws bought my wife a brand new iPad 2 about 6 months later. We constantly had troubles with her iPad but never once had trouble with my refurbished unit. I understand that we probably had a lemon with hers but I really believe you can't go wrong with a refurbished unit. Like Apple_iOS said, Apple has one of the best refurb programs and inspect the heck out of them. Plus, I would guess quite a few refurbished units are iPad's that get returned shortly after being bought with nothing wrong with them.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought numerous items from the refurb shop at apple. Never once had an issue. My friend bought a refurnished iPad 2 when the 3 came out. That's still going strong

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an iPad (4th Gen) I bought refurbished from Apple and it was like new. Depending on your usage an iPad will now last you a good 3-5 years it seems. The only thing I wish I had in mine was more storage (32gb) and more RAM which the Air2 has. I am a pilot and use mine for work everyday and still see myself able to use this another couple years. Unless you need cutting edge stuff the iPad is getting like laptop tech and is good for a few years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods