WiFi vs LTE Data Usage

cderrick14

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping you guys can help me with this question.

I had an IPad air, had it tethered to my phone while I was at the cottage away from any WiFi.
In two says I used 4gb of data just surfing chrome and using Twitter. No streaming or anything like that.

Now, I assumed this was because the IPad thought it was on WiFi and was less conservative. Whereas a LTE version would have been a bit more conservative in its data usage. Is this anywhere close to the truth?

I'm considering getting an air 2, but I'm scared of the potential data charges I might get when I'm away from WiFi, which have never been as bad on Android tablets I've owned.

If the LTE version is more conservative in how much data it consumes I'd spend the extra to get that.

I've looked all over, can't seem to find any evidence one way or the other.

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but from my personal experience, I think when you're using the Wi-Fi (if you're tethering from other devices) it will automatically download any software updates, such as apps, (which tend to use a lot of data) assuming this is the set up you have (unless you update the software/apps manually). Hence the reason for the difference between using the iPad on Wi-Fi vs. LTE.

You could check your 'Settings" under "iTunes & App Store", see if the "Automatic Downloads" are on and if the "Use Cellular Data" is on as well.

Hope this helps. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro