Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have 9gb designated for "other" if I didn't have a 128gb I might of cared a bit more but still though what is it and can I delete it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If deleting old messages doesn't help, you'll need to restore as new.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
This has happened when I had an iPad air 2 but not as bad as this. Wish there was a way to delete it. Guess I'll look into a fresh restart if I need the space

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This has happened when I had an iPad air 2 but not as bad as this. Wish there was a way to delete it. Guess I'll look into a fresh restart if I need the space

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Since it's not messages, it's most likely junk stuff like broken files, app cache and etc. Check in Settings >General >Usage and see what apps may contain too much cache. Facebook is notorious for huge amounts of cache.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Narse77

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It's is most likely cache and temporary files. These types of cache stores are used for lots of reasons I would be happy to go into if ya like, but mainly it's files the system can use to make starting or switching apps faster to SMS/MMS msgs to Facebook to any number of other apps keeping items cached to load faster. It can be deleted in an instant by the OS if needed and honestly is something you shouldn't worry about. Unless you are out of space and can't install a app etc why do you care?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's is most likely cache and temporary files. These types of cache stores are used for lots of reasons I would be happy to go into if ya like, but mainly it's files the system can use to make starting or switching apps faster to SMS/MMS msgs to Facebook to any number of other apps keeping items cached to load faster. It can be deleted in an instant by the OS if needed and honestly is something you shouldn't worry about. Unless you are out of space and can't install a app etc why do you care?

Because it's 9gb of useless space taken up

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I hate it and Apple still refuses to ignore it. I've e-mailed the support department and all I get is the standard "we will look into it."

Being a Mac user, lately Apple has become a PITA but I still can't go back to Windows. I wish Google would make an android OS.

Every iPad I owned at some point I'm FORCED to restore it because of this. I just discovered my Air 2 LTE messed up the Sync and restoring as we speak. No, I don't use MMS, SMS, iMessage, iPhoto.

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have looked extensively into this and it seems that the main driver of this Other storage (besides the usual tips of imessage history and app documents) is accumulated when you stream videos or music or podcasts from iTunes which is not designed to be used as a streaming service even though the functionality exists. The idevice downloads a temporary file but doesn't allow you to delete it - worse it seems hidden by assigning it to Other.

Two solutions:
1) don't stream content from iTunes - download content when consuming- then delete it to free up space.
2) reset your device after backing it up and restore the backup. Cleans it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have looked extensively into this and it seems that the main driver of this Other storage (besides the usual tips of imessage history and app documents) is accumulated when you stream videos or music or podcasts from iTunes which is not designed to be used as a streaming service even though the functionality exists. The idevice downloads a temporary file but doesn't allow you to delete it - worse it seems hidden by assigning it to Other.

Two solutions:
1) don't stream content from iTunes - download content when consuming- then delete it to free up space.
2) reset your device after backing it up and restore the backup. Cleans it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's way to much work to erase it imo

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Agreed...but with a 32gb device I've found I only need to do the reset every other month or so.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have 128GB so it's not a huge deal but I would like the option to delete it
You've been told how to delete it... Works great. And for what it's worth, iOS8.3 seems to be dealing with this "other" data better than 8.2 so give it time and update when 8.3 goes public.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
You've been told how to delete it... Works great. And for what it's worth, iOS8.3 seems to be dealing with this "other" data better than 8.2 so give it time and update when 8.3 goes public.

Short of resets ? As I said not a huge deal to worth doing that even if it's backed up.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I dunno if anyone having storage issues might have downloaded ccleaner. i had it downloaded before it got pulled from app store. I run it least once every other day frees up 1.0gb or more. But mine is only 16gb ipad air. So my other is never more then like 2.5 gb. I believe battery doctor also has a junk cleaner. I use those and only need restore my ipad maybe once every few months.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I dunno if anyone having storage issues might have downloaded ccleaner. i had it downloaded before it got pulled from app store. I run it least once every other day frees up 1.0gb or more. But mine is only 16gb ipad air. So my other is never more then like 2.5 gb. I believe battery doctor also has a junk cleaner. I use those and only need restore my ipad maybe once every few months.

I use Battery Doctor and C M Security, which was also pulled. I'm curious why Battery Doctor has survived.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I use battery doctor but I have found it hasn't been able to delete the other data that I believe is caused by streaming content from iTunes. Although the app does provide valuable advice on how to maximize your battery life.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use battery doctor but I have found it hasn't been able to delete the other data that I believe is caused by streaming content from iTunes. Although the app does provide valuable advice on how to maximize your battery life.

No, I don't believe it does. Restoring is probably the only way.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
ICYMI...

As I noted above - iOS 8.3 seems to be managing this "Other " category better than previous iOS versions as my iPhone and iPad both the 'Other" categories are smaller than they have ever been, and staying smaller... iOS 8.3 should be out in time for the Watch...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2