Losing Internet while connected to Wifi

Rlin5741

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPad 64gb with a cellular radio, but without a carrier selected and thus an "inactive"Apple sim. My iPad is randomly getting disconnected from the Internet every few hours - it remains connected to wifi, I can see the icon with full bars, but anything that requires internet access doesn't work. Toggling airplane mode on and off reconnects everything, and also generates a message that cellular data connection failed.

Has anyone else with an inactive Apple sim (I.e. One that you have not activated on any network) seen this random Internet disconnect issue?

Last edited:

Rlin5741

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Losing Internet wile connected to Wifi

I just tried it without the sim in the tray - same problem cropped up. Internet appears to stay connected as long as I continuously use the iPad, but if it sleeps for more than a hour or so, the Internet drops. Odd thing is that the wifi remains connected, I just can't get any websites.

Rlin5741

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

I believe my particular issue doesn't occur if the iPad goes to sleep while plugged into AC power. I will report in the morning to see if it broke the connection while plugged in overnight.

The apple forum are full of people with the problem - I can't post links, but its thread number 6627481 in the iPad Air 2 "Using iPad" forums.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

If you don't have a carrier then turn cellular off .. I get same message when my data runs out on my plan .. Just use it as a wifi iPad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Have u tried resetting network connections ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rlin5741

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Yep. No luck. I even reset my networking equipment.

I just had the iPad lose connection while watching Netflix. That was the first time it lose connection while not sleeping. I also disproved my theory that it only lost connection while sleeping on battery - I had it plugged in overnight and it still had lost its connection by this morning.

LATEST: The iPad is going on 5 hours with a connection at work, where we have an Airport Extreme. The Apple forums and Macrumors forums appear to have quite a few other people experiencing issues - there is a hypothesis that its something to do with Linksys routers that the iPad does not like (I have a Linksys at home). Or perhaps it has to do with people running non-AC routers, although I doubt that is the source of problems since the majority of people do not have AC equipment.

Last edited:

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a Asus wireless router and I loose connectivity on the 5.0 GHz side with my iPad Air2. I haven't tried the 2.4 GHz side yet. The Asus is an 802.11ac router. The router worked fine with my iPad Air using the 5 GHz side.

I still have a good signal showing on the status bar but the data is extremely slow. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the router with no success.

rogerfromco

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I had that problem with my old iPad and a non Apple router (Linksys). I had to reconnect my Apple TV all the time too. My brother in law recommended the Apple router and all the connection issues are resolved.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)