iPad Air 2 screen distorts when holding/pushing the back?

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Here is the video

A Macrumors thread is getting pretty long now with people saying just holding the Air 2 with your right hand is like something pushes against the screen from the back and makes it distort.

Can anyone confirm this?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine doesn't do it enough said lol ...I wouldn't worry about. My other tablet did it only with enough pressure which isn't normal and same goes with the iPad

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I just wanted to know if it is there under NORMAL use.

Consumer reports confirms it happens, so I got worried.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...th-your-current-ipad-skip-the-air-2/index.htm

They say:

"(In fact, the Air 2 is so thin that you can depress the screen from the back of the device. You know how poking an LCD with a fingertip produces a temporary distortion, a small puddle of color? The same thing happens on the Air 2 if you press it from behind?there's no reason to think this will damage the device.)"

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesn't do it enough said lol ...I wouldn't worry about. My other tablet did it only with enough pressure which isn't normal and same goes with the iPad
This is what consumer reports said. If it doesn't happen in normal use then I'm OK.

"(In fact, the Air 2 is so thin that you can depress the screen from the back of the device. You know how poking an LCD with a fingertip produces a temporary distortion, a small puddle of color? The same thing happens on the Air 2 if you press it from behind?there's no reason to think this will damage the device.)"

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't notice it in normal use too. Only if I press with a decent amount of pressure will it do this, so in normal use it shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't white-knuckle gripping it :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Also, if you drive over it with your truck, it might damage the screen.

Nothing to see here, people. Don’t abuse your devices and they will work fine.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine has it, I'm in that thread. Went to return it but every iPad on display at 2 stores had the same issue. They opened a new one for me and the issue was worse, so I kept the one I have. I see it every time I pick it up, and it is where I hold it, no pressure, just the weight of the iPad makes it happen, especially one handed. I will just start holding it differently, and hope it doesn't get worse.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine has it, I'm in that thread. Went to return it but every iPad on display at 2 stores had the same issue. They opened a new one for me and the issue was worse, so I kept the one I have. I see it every time I pick it up, and it is where I hold it, no pressure, just the weight of the iPad makes it happen, especially one handed. I will just start holding it differently, and hope it doesn't get worse.
Maybe it is a bad number of them that reached the stores and not all? We have a pretty good number of people saying it doesn't happen to them.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This is the exact issue I was trying to describe in the "too thin" thread. This happens to my iPad under normal use conditions. Just picking it up with my right hand makes this distortion happen.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this at all. I have to really press down on the back in certain areas to see it. If I'm just holding it it doesn't do it at all.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store today and checked out the display units. Of the six I picked up, 4 showed the same level of distortion as mine. Just picking it up made it happen. The other two showed the same distortion, but required heavier pressure to make it happen.

At this point, I think I'm going to wait a little bit. Maybe after the first few batches this issue will have evolved itself and the replacement unit won't do it at all. Hopefully.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store today and checked out the display units. Of the six I picked up, 4 showed the same level of distortion as mine. Just picking it up made it happen. The other two showed the same distortion, but required heavier pressure to make it happen.

At this point, I think I'm going to wait a little bit. Maybe after the first few batches this issue will have evolved itself and the replacement unit won't do it at all. Hopefully.

Yeah, good luck with it! Hopefully the next batch won't have any problems :)

rnd0209

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine does it with the right of pressure at the right spot. It's nothing to go crazy about. Like others have said I don't think your going to be holding your iPad that hard in that exact spot.

If you take it and try to bend it over your knee it would most likely bend too. Oh boy I haut started bendgate for the new iPad. Lmao!

Not an issue for me. This screen is drop dead gorgeous!

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I went into the Apple store and tried it with an Air 1.

I can make it happen but the pressure is so much it would never happen during regular use.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I went into the Apple store and tried it with an Air 1.

I can make it happen but the pressure is so much it would never happen during regular use.

I thought that would be the case. The Air 2 is a little thicker, so it makes sense that it would require a little more pressure to get the screen to distort. I tried it with a Mini 2 and no distortion unless I apply a decent amount of pressure. :)

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought that would be the case. The Air 2 is a little thicker, so it makes sense that it would require a little more pressure to get the screen to distort. I tried it with a Mini 2 and no distortion unless I apply a decent amount of pressure. :)
Still no iPad Air 2 here. The iPhone 6 just made it on Oct 31.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I was surprised how little pressure was required to distort the screen. It wouldn't stop me from buying one because I normally wouldn't put that much pressure on the back. But you have to wonder if this is as thin as they can possibly go with the iPad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77