Apple SIM can only be used on AT&T once activated on AT&T

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I just went through the cellular plans for each of the carriers on my iPad Air 2. TMobile and Sprint don't say this, but the AT&T signup says you can only use the SIM on AT&T once it's activated on AT&T, and that you'll have to get a new one from Apple if you decide to change to another carrier.

So much for trying out a different carrier for a few months.

BTW, you have to contact Verizon for their SIM if you want to go with them.

jdkaufman

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that the apple sim is built in...you can't just "get a new one". You'd have to get a new iPad? Something wrong there.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that the apple sim is built in...you can't just "get a new one". You'd have to get a new iPad? Something wrong there.

No it's not . It's like any other sim but just isn't branded . Verizon requires you to get their own branded sim to insert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdkaufman

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yep. My mistake. I use AT&T for my iPhone, but I'll probably go with t-mobile for the pad...they appear to have a better plan, and I don't like at&t's stance on this.

karmamule

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried adding my new iPad air 2 to my t-mobile account and it keeps getting an error at the end. When I call all they say is "you need to get a t-mobile sim". The first couple people I talked to had no clue about the apple sim, and the last one said he checked with some people who knew about it, but that they said there were problems with the apple sims and confirmed I need to go get a t-mobile sim.

So, their policy may be nice in theory, but it's not much good if it doesn't actually work!

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T required I use their SIM, so I still have my inactivated Apple SIM I'll keep handy if I ever decide to switch. Apple will also replace the SIM for free if a carrier locks it and you want to switch.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77