Why should I consider a LTE Air 2 when I can tether via my 6 Plus?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
re:

In the unlikely event your iPhone is unavailable due to loss, theft, damage or physical infirmity that renders it useless having cellular service on an Air2 would be nice to have available...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have Hotspot with my Note 4 and just planning on buying the 128GB Wifi model. No need to spend $130 imo for LTE with T-mobile imo

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

I've never really had a need for the cellular iPad models. For me personally, it's a nice to have but not worth the extra money. I can tether easily and it's rare that I'd actually want to activate the data on an iPad except for the road trip here and there and with road trips, data is so spotty, is it even worth it?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
re:

I've never really had a need for the cellular iPad models. For me personally, it's a nice to have but not worth the extra money. I can tether easily and it's rare that I'd actually want to activate the data on an iPad except for the road trip here and there and with road trips, data is so spotty, is it even worth it?

Unless your on T-mobile I don't think it is very much worth it imo. $130 for the LTE variant + Tax and Data charges depending on your plan or adding $10 per month for the line. With T-mobile if you just want to use the Data for life promotion it is decent as long as you have T-mobile service which is required for the promo. You get 200 MB of Data each month for free and costs nothing then the Sim card to add it to your plan.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

Unless you are worried about the battery on your iPhone draining while tethering, why would you spend a great deal more for the LTE model?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
re:

Does the wifi version have GPS??
Not sure about the Air2 - the 3rd Generation iPad I have does NOT. One can use an external GPSr via bluetooth, or one that plugs into the charging port and have full GPS capabilities (minus any internet searches when not on wifi...) - Garmin makes one... BadElf makes several options.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re:

I always get the cellular version of the iPad. You don't need a contract so you can go month to month. If are not going to use the cellular service it can stay disabled, but... if at some point you are somewhere and want to get online from the iPad you can enable the service from the device then cancel it when you are not using it anymore.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to always purchase the wifi model of tablets. However, after purchasing my first LTE model about a year ago it's definitely hard to go back. I just like the convenience of it I guess.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I used to always purchase the wifi model of tablets. However, after purchasing my first LTE model about a year ago it's definitely hard to go back. I just like the convenience of it I guess.
I get the convince but it's hard to get my self to pay $130 extra after paying the apple tax for it. While lowering the prices of the 64gb and 128gb model is a step in the right direction I think base model should be 32gb and LTE should be $100 more Imo

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Its not just $130 though is it? He also has to pay for an LTE plan for the iPad. That to me is more than enough reason to pass.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to justify getting a cellular version of the tablet but I think I might pick up one just for the rare times that the connection may be needed

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Like someone posted earlier my first LTE iPad was the air and after having LTE on my iPad I'll never go back to wifi only. The agnostic sim card they have this year only further enforces that for me. No matter where you are when you need data you will have 4 options on the fly to get the fastest or more economical connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Its not just $130 though is it? He also has to pay for an LTE plan for the iPad. That to me is more than enough reason to pass.
Depending on carrier and plans it can be. T-Mobile offers free 200mb of data per month free if you have T-Mobile service already.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will get a LTE model.

Just have to wait until apple.com changes from preorder status to order status so I can get 5% off with my discover card. :)

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Couldn't agree more - iPad Air was my first cellular version and can't imagine not having constant data connectivity. Fortunately I'm in a very good T-Mobile coverage area - but I'm sure the other carriers would work just as well, but T-Mobile seems to offer the best bang for the buck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh