Why can't I send send a message to A NON iOS user on my iPad?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
it isn't fully rolled out- I hear that the beta out now works with it so that you can send to non iOS users

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For some reason, I cannot send a message to A NON iOS user on my iPad. I can with my iPhone 6.... Any solution?

Since iMessages are for Apple devices only, anything text messages to a non-Apple device would be SMS, and they cannot be sent via the iPad. Now when Yosemite is released and you have iOS 8 installed then you should be able to do what you're currently trying to do.

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/#mn_p

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The function you are asking about is continuity. It will work by connecting your phone number on your phone to your iMessage email address. It won't be fully functional until iOS 8.1 is released later this week. It should work as expected right now with Yosemite on a Mac and with the iOS 8.1 beta.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS which would be needed to send text messages to non iOS users.
However as mentioned above, with Continuity you will be able to send SMS with your iPad provided your iPhone is nearby. Continuity will essentially relay the SMS thru the iPhone even though you are using the iPad.

What she said (^^^^^^)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Well you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS which would be needed to send text messages to non iOS users.
However as mentioned above, with Continuity you will be able to send SMS with your iPad provided your iPhone is nearby. Continuity will essentially relay the SMS thru the iPhone even though you are using the iPad.

Ya Bluetooth is great lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, once 8.1 is out, you will be able to send and receive sms from your ipad as long as your phone is available on the same wifi network as your ipad

If you had bothered to read the entrire thread, you would have seen posts stating that it would all be possible via the continuity feature once iOS 8.1 is released.

Also, Karen stated that "you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS", which is factually correct. Even with iOS 8.1, the iPads will be incapable of sending an SMS in and of themselves. That’s why Continuity is necessary.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The function you are asking about is continuity. It will work by connecting your phone number on your phone to your iMessage email address. It won't be fully functional until iOS 8.1 is released later this week. It should work as expected right now with Yosemite on a Mac and with the iOS 8.1 beta.
Will this work even if you don't own am iPhone and an android device for your phone?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Aww wished I could use this feature on my iPad

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Download and use mysms as your main texting app on your phone and then download it on your iPad. Works for me.
That's what I use when I'm using my android and my iPad air. Its free and as long as your phone is on the same WiFi network as your iPad it works fine. May take a few seconds longer to send a message rather than picking up your phone but it works.

ABRADFL

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
This is strange because it's been working for months - I was able to send non iOS Users messages and pictures from the iPad. Now it's not working.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
This is strange because it's been working for months - I was able to send non iOS Users messages and pictures from the iPad. Now it's not working.
I'm having the same issue.
This stated about a month ago.
Can't send SMS from my WiFi iPad Air any longer to non iOS users.
No problems from my iPhone 5S & MacBook Air
I've checked all settings. Maybe I'm missing something.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
TIA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative