iPad Air with WiFi and Cellular opinions

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. This morning I updated my data plan to 10GB a month so that I can use my iPad more when I'm without wifi. I'm taking a bus trip to NYC tomorrow for five days so I'll see if I use it more than my iPhone there. I'm not taking my laptop because it ways too much.

I haven't been using the cellular capabilities so far since I got my iPad in December. I just wanted to see on here if for those of you who have the cellular capable iPad Air version if you use it on the go a lot with cellular service enabled. Is the cellular model worth it compared to the WiFi only version?

Also, the name of the model bugs me. The iPhone 5s is not called "iPhone 5s WiFi and Cellular", so I wish that they'd rename the next iPads with cellular models somehow to shorten the name. What do you all think?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB, using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I love my iPad Air with cellular! I find I get by just fine with 200MB free from T-Mobile, plus the 1GB per month plan for a total of 1.2GBs a month, for 10 bucks. :) (Goes to 20 Jan 2015) I use it for GPS, plus I use it often at my office when I'm bored and when our office firewall blocks me from sites on the work PC. ;) I highly doubt I would need the 10GB plan unless I were sharing it with a phone or a family or something. ;)

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I love mine I have the 64G versions from verizon. I have a 20 gig plan but most of the time I'm on wifi but it's nice when you're out and about to be able to use the cellular data.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My story is similar to Pkcable, I have an Air on T-Mobile. I actually just got it a few days ago & it's been nothing short of fantastic.

I'm about 45+ miles from NYC and have Optimum internet service, so 99% of the time I have cellular data coverage, Optimum wifi coverage or both. Throughout my work day I am on cellular data and it's perfect.

My T-Mobile plan is 5GB, which really should be more than enough (time will tell).

Being in & around the city, I don't think you'll have any problems. Report in though & keep us posted.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I use mine on the go all the time. I have it on my shared data plan for a extra $10 a month. I use on average around 2.5 GB's a month on it so the cellular version is paying off.

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I use mine on the go all of the time. At work, on vacation, etc. It has been very much worth it to me to spend the extra money to get WiFi and Cellular on my Air.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have just a standard Wi-Fi only model, and I wish I would've had the money to buy a Wi-Fi plus Cell when I bought it. I'd say it would be worth it to have the Wi-Fi plus Cellular model. :)

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
From my perspective, the cellular version is "cheaper" because I am paying for it over time rather than one large amount upfront.

I'm very glad I went with T-Mobile, as they were the most cost effective and equal/better in coverage compared to the other three primary carriers.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the Verizon 20GB data plan was over $100/month...

My T-Mobile plan is 5GB for $30 until January '15, then jumps to 40/month. If I'm not using that much I can just lower the plan but I think it's still a great deal.

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

metreece

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Get the cellular model because it has a built in GPS. The GPS works even if you don't have the data plan connected to the Internet. Friends if mine have used the iPad Mini for navigation at sea where cellular connection wasn't available. I believe wifi models only use cell towers to approximate your location.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

sko580

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The cellular option is a convenience with a price and it is well worth it. Even though I am usually near wifi, having the cellular was absolutely useful when on the road. I now cannot buy a tablet without a cellular option, it's a must have.

Since I rely on cellular data so few times, the pre-paid plans was the best option with no contract. I am able to pre-pay and use when I ever needed it without having to pay an activation fee each time. I first started with Verizon 1GB/30 day plan for $20. The 1GB per month was more than enough for me and was actually wasting away unused data every month. I decided to shop around and found out that AT&T had a 1GB/90 days for $25. I decided to go with this and went to the local AT&T store and got a nanoSim card without any issues. So far this is the best plan for my usage and the service coverage so far has been more than adequate. I really can't complain, for $100 a year, I am covered.

You will need to figure out your own workflow and determine how much cellular data you will need. But do shop around.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Cellular is essential, for me: I'm always on the road, I'm often in places with no available wifi and I use my iPad for work. I have a 6 GB/month plan, it serves my needs.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice