IPad Air vs Macbook AIr

Kingsway Jo

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't know whether to upgrade my IPad to an IPad Air 128GB or a 11" Macbook Air. Can I have the IPad connected to a device to upload discs (music or Video)/ Do I need a MAc to put music o my IPod?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have an iPod touch and use iTunes Match, you're going to need the Air to put music on it. There's not a USB port or anything on an iPad. Hope this helps and Welcome to iMore!!!

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm dying for a MacBook Air. Used to have an iPad. But a quality computer is important. And if loading content onto your iOS devices is important to you (it's important to me) I would go with the MacBook. *steaming jealous*

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I love my iPad Air. I had an opportunity last year to get either a MBA or an iPad Air 128 GB with LTE. I decided to get the iPad Air after playing with both in the Apple store. I do not regret my decision. With the bluetooth keyboard, I am as productive as ever with my iPad. And when I don't want to use it to create or edit documents I can simply slip it out of the keyboard case and read books and or browse the web. That's the best of both worlds to me.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
You will get the most mileage out of an iOS device if you have a Mac or Windows computer to sync it to. That way you can use desktop iTunes to move content around more easily. That said, the iPad is a fairly sophisticated device and works quite well on its own. You will be limited in the ways you can get content onto the device, mostly by using the iTunes app which may mean paying for your music a second time if you own it on a different way than through iTunes.

IMO tablets are great but no replacement for a computer but iPads are able to do office work, web browsing, email, etc. all on their own. A lot of the basic tasks you would ask of a computer can be done from your iPad if you want to stick to just one device.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
You will get the most mileage out of an iOS device if you have a Mac or Windows computer to sync it to. That way you can use desktop iTunes to move content around more easily. That said, the iPad is a fairly sophisticated device and works quite well on its own. You will be limited in the ways you can get content onto the device, mostly by using the iTunes app which may mean paying for your music a second time if you own it on a different way than through iTunes.

IMO tablets are great but no replacement for a computer but iPads are able to do office work, web browsing, email, etc. all on their own. A lot of the basic tasks you would ask of a computer can be done from your iPad if you want to stick to just one device.

And that's exactly what I use my iPad for. My computing needs are very simplistic. As far as multimedia content like movies and music, I only stream. I don't buy music, I have a subscription for Beats and use Netflix for movies. So I don't move content at all. I use the cloud for everything really. So actually storage on the device is not a big concern. I just need enough for the apps that I need to download and the pictures and videos that I take. I realize that others have computing needs far greater than mine. But this is how I get away with using my iPad as my main computing device. And it will be from now on. I wouldn't trade my iPad Air for any desktop or laptop computer. I really enjoy the versatility and the ease of use.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a MBA from a couple of years ago. I had given it to my daughter but she got herself a MacBook Pro so I took the MBA back. I like it a lot, though I must say that since I'm always on the go, I use a tablet a lot more.
Yesterday I got an iPad Air wifi / cellular 128 GB.
I'm totally flying on this thing, lol.
Even though the MBA is light and portable, I prefer the iPad to carry around:
My job is very physical and the less weight and bulk I have to lug around, the better.
I do find that the 2 complement each other perfectly, though.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2