Touch ID on iPad air?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
If you already have a tablet, I'd wait, it's cool and all but it isn't a big deal. Or you can get the air and sell it when new iPad comes out. I always say I'm going to do this but I never sell my old device or the new device isn't big enough upgrade.

I just went from iPhone 4 to 5s and that's only because my. 4 speaker stopped working. I do also have bberry Z10 as my daily driver so it's not like I was using 3 year old tech the whole time

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Probably. And I will disable it just like I did on my iPhone 5S.

Totally agree. I tried to like touch id and gave it a fair chance but in the end I just found it annoying that you have to use it every time you wake your screen. I'd rather just turn it off and swipe to unlock. I wish you could set touch id to be used after a period of time, preferably an hour, just like you can with pass code.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it doesnt work every single time, no matter what, with no thought to repositioning your finger for a proper scan. Every single person I know that has a 5S has to properly align their finger to get it right. And I got tired of doing that. Sure, if I do that it works "flawlessly" but the amount of times I reach for my device and want access right away, having to set my finger just right for that perfect scan got annoying REAL quick.

As I stated. Flawlessly.

I've mapped index finger and thumb on both hands and it's recognition rate is at least 99%. Every once in a while I'm not completely on the button and it tells me it can't read it. My fault for a poor placement, not the technology.

Much MUCH faster and more convenient than entering my 6 character passcode.

TheAnalogkid

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
If you already have a tablet, I'd wait, it's cool and all but it isn't a big deal. Or you can get the air and sell it when new iPad comes out. I always say I'm going to do this but I never sell my old device or the new device isn't big enough upgrade.

I just went from iPhone 4 to 5s and that's only because my. 4 speaker stopped working. I do also have bberry Z10 as my daily driver so it's not like I was using 3 year old tech the whole time

I went and ordered the iPad air . Seemed like the touch ID wasn't a deal breaker.

You say you have a Z10 and an 5s. Is one of them a corporate phone? Which do you prefer?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I went and ordered the iPad air . Seemed like the touch ID wasn't a deal breaker.

You say you have a Z10 and an 5s. Is one of them a corporate phone? Which do you prefer?

Yes, but both now get my business email on them. The 5s is attached to my corporate phone number and z10 to my personal. I like them, both to be honest...the z10 much better for cranking out emails, dealing with excel, word, ppt docs and such... For actually doing work hands down z10, also much faster to navigate once you know how to move around, hub is sweet, you actual can really multitask on it. The 5s was simpler to just pick up and use because it's buttons based, and z10 is gestured based (swipe in some direction to do some action). The 5s is great because of sheer number of apps, wellsfargo not on my z10, delta app is better on 5s, ... IOS feels dated compared to bb10, but app maturity on iOS is way ahead but that's expected, iOS been around 7 years bb10, 1 year, it's a completely new ecosystem built. All major apps are on z10 but not as polished as iOS versions.

Short of it I use both devices, and depends what I'm doing at moment in terms off which I prefer, z10 is the daily driver

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Sure it is.

It's not the iPhone's fault that I didn't put my finger on the button.
Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 7.57.29 PM.png

If it were "flawless" it would read your finger every single time. And it doesnt. So nope.

You said it, "Every once in a while I'm not completely on the button and it tells me it can't read it. My fault for a poor placement, not the technology" If it were flawless, as you have come to say, it would read it every time.

And sometimes, when I had Touch ID activated, it WOULD read my finger and let me in with a very half assed read.

Moving on now...

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 45767

If it were "flawless" it would read your finger every single time. And it doesnt. So nope.

You said it, "Every once in a while I'm not completely on the button and it tells me it can't read it. My fault for a poor placement, not the technology" If it were flawless, as you have come to say, it would read it every time.

And sometimes, when I had Touch ID activated, it WOULD read my finger and let me in with a very half assed read.

Moving on now...

It does read my finger every single time when I place it correctly on the reader.

When I don't place my finger correctly on the reader, it doesn't read the print.

Not hard to understand.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
It does read my finger every single time when I place it correctly on the reader.

When I don't place my finger correctly on the reader, it doesn't read the print.

Not hard to understand.

Nah. You just fail to understand the meaning of "flawless". I'd say your comprehension skills aren't quite flawless, no? ;) This topic has taken it's toll. Keep on truckin'

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish it was available for the Air & Mini. So many times I've sat with my finger on the home button wondering why it hasn't unlocked yet and that's just out of habit. It's definitely not a deal breaker though. The Air is a stellar device!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was disappointed that they didn't include this feature on the new air, however after using my air for a few days I realize that it is fine without it. Fast, light and very functional.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Nah. You just fail to understand the meaning of "flawless". I'd say your comprehension skills aren't quite flawless, no? ;) This topic has taken it's toll. Keep on truckin'

Sigh.

Though I should just let this drop, I cannot.

Flawless. Works every time I place my digit on the sensor correctly. As it should. As any sane person would expect.

If I don't place my finger or thumb entirely on the sensor, what valid expectation could I possibly have that my fingerprint will be read correctly?

If I hit the Y on my keyboard but I really wanted the T, is it the phone's fault that it printed a Y?

The fingerprint sensor is working flawlessly for me. I'm sorry you have a different experience.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish it was available for the Air & Mini. So many times I've sat with my finger on the home button wondering why it hasn't unlocked yet and that's just out of habit. It's definitely not a deal breaker though. The Air is a stellar device!

I find myself doing the same thing....then feeling stupid cause it's the 4th or 5th time I've waited for my Air to unlock....today! Slow learner.