Typing experience on software keyboard

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the guys on my crew uses the split keyboard and he is a pro at it. It's pretty cool to watch him rapid fire out an email.

I haven't really tried to use the split keyboard. But I would think that after a while you would get really good at using it if you practiced enough. I don't like to type on the keyboard like that though. I think that I would be much faster typing like a tradition laptop keyboard. But whichever method is best for the user. I was wondering if Apple would implement some sort of swype keyboard to iOS. I think that that would assist those who haven't embraced the current software keyboard.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Since getting the new iPad Air I have become quite adept at thumb typing in portrait mode. I've never found touch typing I landscape to be a problem.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
that was one of the big reasons I switched to a Galaxy Note II. The stock Samsung keyboard has some swype built in but the full purchased version is awesome. I'm OK typing on my Air in landscape (strictly hunt & peck) but am just too used to physical keys for touch typing and if it's going to be a long typing session then I'll break out the BT keyboard. I wrote a love letter to Apple begging for them to start allowing 3rd party keyboards (even paying for them would be fine by me) but they'll never change until enough people vote with their wallets. I can only hope some options come with iOS 8. Actually I can't wait for iOS 8 because I'm definitely an iOS 7 hater, a clear case of form trumping function.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad mini, and typing on it is a cinch, but I did not enjoy typing on the full size iPad that I had and opted to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it.

For me it's backwards, I can type fine on the iPad Air however I struggle with the mini ... In portrait mode the mini is easy to type but in landscape my hands are just too big. Now on the Air I find it easy to type in both orientations. Perhaps it's the slimmer bezel.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I find myself wanting the Touchfire keyboard for the Air. For those unaware, it is a plastic membrane type keyboard you can place over the iPad keyboard so that you can touch type, then it rolls out of the way when you don't need it. Unfortunately, it still hasn't been released for the Air.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Anker bluetooth keyboard and I love it. The best keyboard I have ever used for my iPad Air.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have given up on bluetooth keyboards altogether. I really like the software keyboard. It is really versatile and I'm just as fast and accurate now as I am with the bluetooth keyboard. Once you have practiced with it, you get really good. The only downfall is that half the screen isn't visible. But other than that, I don't really have any use for a physical keyboard anymore.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Anker bluetooth keyboard and I love it. The best keyboard I have ever used for my iPad Air.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

I have that same keyboard. I got it for Christmas last year. I don't use it all that much, but when I do, it does the job well. Great keyboard.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it's relatively easy to type on the iPad keyboard. Maybe it's a bit easier on the mini than the air but I've always found ios keyboards to be responsive.

Posted via my galaxy S5

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think it's relatively easy to type on the iPad keyboard. Maybe it's a bit easier on the mini than the air but I've always found ios keyboards to be responsive.

Posted via my galaxy S5

I think that it is easier on the Air because I like to type like I'm on a traditional keyboard on a computer. So the extra size makes it easier. But if you were going to thumb type I could see how the mini would be easier.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I think that it is easier on the Air because I like to type like I'm on a traditional keyboard on a computer. So the extra size makes it easier. But if you were going to thumb type I could see how the mini would be easier.

I have small hands and I do thumb type in portrait mode so it easier on the mini. In landscape I type as I would do on a computer.

However all iOS keyboards are responsive.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have small hands and I do thumb type in portrait mode so it easier on the mini. In landscape I type as I would do on a computer.

However all iOS keyboards are responsive.

I will agree. I have tried typing in the traditional style on an Android device and it didn't work as well. If I had the mini I think that I would thumb type pretty well because it would be like typing on a big phone

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I will agree. I have tried typing in the traditional style on an Android device and it didn't work as well. If I had the mini I think that I would thumb type pretty well because it would be like typing on a big phone

The keyboards are rubbish on Android devices. I've got swiftkey on my galaxy S5 and whilst it is better than all the other keyboards it's nowhere near as good as the stock ios keyboard.

Posted via my galaxy S5

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The keyboards are rubbish on Android devices. I've got swiftkey on my galaxy S5 and whilst it is better than all the other keyboards it's nowhere near as good as the stock ios keyboard.

Posted via my galaxy S5

I wonder if the third party keyboards we will be able to download on iOS 8 will be any better than their Android counterparts?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had this iPad Air now for over a month & still use the onscreen keyboard for everything from one liners (although speech to text is very slick) all the way up to a full page. I'm not a writer so anything beyond a full page is rare for me (at least in one sitting).

A several paragraph email is very easy to blow through with the onscreen keyboard.

The caveat is, from the first time I saw Lt. Cmdr. Data speed through input on a panel or Padd, I knew I'd have no problem with the same thing once I had access to similar technology ;)

Full disclosure: I'm human, not Android.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've had this iPad Air now for over a month & still use the onscreen keyboard for everything from one liners (although speech to text is very slick) all the way up to a full page. I'm not a writer so anything beyond a full page is rare for me (at least in one sitting).

A several paragraph email is very easy to blow through with the onscreen keyboard.

The caveat is, from the first time I saw Lt. Cmdr. Data speed through input on a panel or Padd, I knew I'd have no problem with the same thing once I had access to similar technology ;)

Full disclosure: I'm human, not Android.

The typing experience gets a lot better with practice. I think that initially people are turned off by it because it doesn't feel natural. But once you get used to it, you really see the benefits of the onscreen keyboard. I use it exclusively now. I don't even fool with bluetooth keyboards any more. And I have only been using the onscreen keyboard for about a few months now. Who knows how good I will be in another few months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2