iPad Air rebooting?

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been getting the occasional Safari crash and 1 or 2 reboots. It is happening more than my previous iPad mini and other iDevices.
I'm hoping this is software related and not a hardware issue. I have read at other forums that iOS7 is not really fully baked for iPads. My iPhone 5 has had almost zero issues with iOS7 to date.
My iPhone 5 also has no issues with iOS 7.

My 2 week old ipad Air, has had app crashes and also a few reboots. I called Apple and they advised me to get it replaced, I personally don't think that it is hardware and thus exchanging it for another one may not solve the issue.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

My 2 week old ipad Air, has had app crashes and also a few reboots. I called Apple and they advised me to get it replaced, I personally don't think that it is hardware and thus exchanging it for another one may not solve the issue.

What do you guys think?

Well, you could end up in an exchange/replacement loop. The replacement could have other more serious issues. My iPad mini would exhibit the same issues after upgrading to iOS7, so me thinks it is iOS7 not playing nice with the iPad or the iPad version still has issues. Seeing as how we're al getting the same issues on iPad, it seems like it could be software related.

Personally I would hold off for now. For me, the crashes and reboots are not very often. I can live with it for now. If a software comes out that deals solves the issue, you keep your iPad Air, which you know is good.

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
For everyone that is experiencing iPad Air reboots...are you checking the diagnostics menu and seeing any "panic plist" entries?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

What do you guys think?

Hi Charlyee,

If you aren't having any other issues with your Air I would probably keep it. I still believe this is a software issue that will eventually be resolved in a future update from Apple. Your iPad Air is covered by the one year warranty period anyway. Therefore, if you are still having the reboot issue after a update you'll have time to get it replaced at that point.... Just my 2?

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Charlyee,

If you aren't having any other issues with your Air I would probably keep it. I still believe this is a software issue that will eventually be resolved in a future update from Apple. Your iPad Air is covered by the one year warranty period anyway. Therefore, if you are still having the reboot issue after a update you'll have time to get it replaced at that point.... Just my 2?

This makes the most sense. I am convinced it is a software issue and am very surprised Apple is exchanging product over this. Apple customer service has changed over the last 2 years. I used to get sharp, informative, clean service. But lately it's spotty with poor information.

I agree with Irish Rose, tough it out and wait for the software update. If its still spotty, return the iPad before your warranty is up. I do not want to return iPad now. I just installed a back skin and would hate to lose that so soon!

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlyee,

Well, you could end up in an exchange/replacement loop. The replacement could have other more serious issues. My iPad mini would exhibit the same issues after upgrading to iOS7, so me thinks it is iOS7 not playing nice with the iPad or the iPad version still has issues. Seeing as how we're al getting the same issues on iPad, it seems like it could be software related.

Personally I would hold off for now. For me, the crashes and reboots are not very often. I can live with it for now. If a software comes out that deals solves the issue, you keep your iPad Air, which you know is good.
I am glad both of you said to keep it. I didn't want to exchange it anyway since there aren't any other problems and the reboots aren't often enough to be disruptive.

Thank you both :)

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Another app that seems to regularly cause a reboot is iTunes Radio. Just opening the music app to the iTunes Radio will trigger a full reboot (loses any usage / hours data). Happens about 1 in 4 times.

jltPITTman

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I updated ios to 7.0.4 on my iPad air and Safari still crashes I think it's an iOS problem not the iPad because I tried this site:

http://jsfiddle.net/edfFq/7/embedded/result/
And do a pinch zoom

And it does the same thing on my iPad 3 my iPhone 5.
Called the apple Store he said he didn't hear of the safari issue, he said bring in the ipad in we will run some tests, no need to bring the box just the iPad and if it's bad they will give me a new one.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My Reminders app just closed out on me and brought me back to the Home Screen.

I can handle the occasional apps crashing/closing.

Fortunately no reboots since Tuesday night - keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just a update... my first Air resprung on average 2 times a day. On 11/12, I went to Apple and they swapped it for a BNIB unit. Since then, I haven't had one single respiring. *Knocks on wood* It may be software but then again, I am not longer having issues on my Air. I did not have issues on my 1st gen iPad mini nor my retina iPad Mini on iOS 7. It was only that one iPad Air. Take it for what you want.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Bets it is iOS 7. Seems random in all devices.

I haven't had any on any of my devices. Including 5s. Except for that one Air. Maybe it's a carrier related thing for you. I know Mark Gurman from 9 to 5 Mac is complaining of a lot of reboots on his iPhone too. He's on Vzn just like you.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any on any of my devices. Including 5s. Except for that one Air. Maybe it's a carrier related thing for you. I know Mark Gurman from 9 to 5 Mac is complaining of a lot of reboots on his iPhone too. He's on Vzn just like you.

I have not had any on my iPad. But on my iPhone 5 and 5s. Could be a carrier part of iOS

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, I had hoped that 7.0.4 took care of the reboots but mine rebooted about an hour back in the middle of my reading emails.

I might have to look at exchanging it. :(

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ugh, I had hoped that 7.0.4 took care of the reboots but mine rebooted about an hour back in the middle of my reading emails.

Even though I want to think that's its software, I haven't had a single reboot or respring in a week on my new Air. Last one, I was getting two a day. Maybe faulty hardware. I also never had a reboot on my first gen iPad mini either.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

If the update didn't fix this for you, I would probably do what Garz did and exchange it while you can still get a new one. I was getting the reboot issue with my 5S, but not at all on my iPad Air. I just think it is strange that the reboot issues only seem to be happening to some people (not all) that have iOS devices running the new 64Bit processor... My old iPhone 5 and iPad Mini never rebooted running the same iOS 7 update.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods