iPad Air vs. iPad 4 Comparisons

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious. Anyone out there upgrade to the iPad Air from the iPad 4? How do they compare? I'm not talking about specs here (if you want the spec history, go here: Evolution of the iPad)... I'm talking about usability. Form factor. Function. Was the upgrade worth it, or would you be just fine with the iPad 4 (or older!).

Personally, I haven't latched on to the iPad Air just yet. Hoping for some good feedback here. Sound off!

Sarcone

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I upgraded from the 4 to the Air. I wasn't going to, but my mom decided she wanted to upgrade from her iPad 1 and she offered to buy my 4. Since I only had a 16gb and was frustrated with the lack of space, I agreed. But I was still just going to upgrade to a 32gb or 64gb refurb 4. However, once I played with the store model and saw the differences, I decided to try it out. I'm pretty happy with it, even though the upgrade is not extreme from the 4. The biggest thing is the physical size. I really like how light it is in comparison. I read on it a lot and take it whenever I have to wait somewhere, so I really notice the difference in size. And I tried the mini last year, but I'd rather have the larger screen, so the Air is a nice compromise between the mini and the iPad 4. It's a tad bit faster when browsing the web, and opening apps I use, but not that much. However, I have had more crashes from my web browsers than had before, but from what I've read, that's probably an ios7 issue. My iPad 4 is still on ios 6.1.3. I would have probably upgraded to ios7 with that one eventually anyway. As far as the new specs on the air, I guess we'll see what developers can come up with to take advantage of them.

Overall, I could be just fine with the iPad 4, but I enjoy the Air and since half was paid for when I sold my old iPad, and the other half was Christmas/Birthday, I'm happy about keeping it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
iPad 4 64GB to iPad Air 32GB. Got this for form factor and I am satisfied so far. I can easily thumb type on this now that it isn't as wide. And it isn't heavy like the iPad 4. That was my #1 complaint on the iPad 4. I see myself carrying this around a little more than I ever did iPad 4. It feels more mobile.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I love everything about my iPad Air over my old iPad 4. For one it is much faster. Even WiFi is faster. The slim down size and reduced weight make it easier to read with for longer periods of time with having to put it down. Also, I know this will vary from iPad to iPad, but the screen on my new Air is much brighter with no yellow tint to it like the 4 that I had before. From what I can tell so far the battery life on the Air seems better than my 4 and Mini. I picked up my Air yesterday and it was charged at 80%. I've used it for almost 9 hours since then and I still have 35% battery left.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above posters, but the major reason for me is the drop in weight and form factor. I take my iPad with me pretty much wherever I go and those two reasons were the deciding factors in selling my iPad 4. If I just used it only at home I would probably have stuck with the iPad 4. This is the full size iPad I have been waiting for IMO.

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the 4 to the Air. I wasn't going to, but my mom decided she wanted to upgrade from her iPad 1 and she offered to buy my 4. Since I only had a 16gb and was frustrated with the lack of space, I agreed. But I was still just going to upgrade to a 32gb or 64gb refurb 4. However, once I played with the store model and saw the differences, I decided to try it out. I'm pretty happy with it, even though the upgrade is not extreme from the 4. The biggest thing is the physical size. I really like how light it is in comparison. I read on it a lot and take it whenever I have to wait somewhere, so I really notice the difference in size. And I tried the mini last year, but I'd rather have the larger screen, so the Air is a nice compromise between the mini and the iPad 4. It's a tad bit faster when browsing the web, and opening apps I use, but not that much. However, I have had more crashes from my web browsers than had before, but from what I've read, that's probably an ios7 issue. My iPad 4 is still on ios 6.1.3. I would have probably upgraded to ios7 with that one eventually anyway. As far as the new specs on the air, I guess we'll see what developers can come up with to take advantage of them.

Overall, I could be just fine with the iPad 4, but I enjoy the Air and since half was paid for when I sold my old iPad, and the other half was Christmas/Birthday, I'm happy about keeping it.

If it makes you feel better, I upgraded my iPad 4 to IOS7 and have quite a few different crashing problems, so you are right its iOS7.

Nice balanced review btw! Thanks

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded and I could easy say not really a difference in actual use the Air because my 4 did everything the same ..

Just not as fast

Getting use the the thin and light and cut down bezel is another story I'm still adjusting

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious. Anyone out there upgrade to the iPad Air from the iPad 4? How do they compare? I'm not talking about specs here (if you want the spec history, go here: Evolution of the iPad)... I'm talking about usability. Form factor. Function. Was the upgrade worth it, or would you be just fine with the iPad 4 (or older!).

Personally, I haven't latched on to the iPad Air just yet. Hoping for some good feedback here. Sound off!

I'm using the Air about 200% more than I was using the iPad 4. The slimmer and lighter form factor has made that much difference. Extremely happy with the upgrade. My wrists are even happier ;-)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm using the Air about 200% more than I was using the iPad 4. The slimmer and lighter form factor has made that much difference. Extremely happy with the upgrade. My wrists are even happier ;-)

It's amazing what a half pound and more narrowness makes. This is such a better experience than the iPad 4.

Carlton English

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I love it way more than the 4 because of the size. The 4 was heavy, good device, but heavy. But now I pick my air up as if it were my phone, before I go anywhere. Also, it could just be me, but the screen on the air just seems better than on the 4, more colorful or something. I know the screens are supposed to be the same but something sticks out to me as being better than my 4.

Loving it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh