Upgrading from iPad 3

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

How does it work to upgrade an iPad 3 to an iPad Air? I don't want a new data plan, I want to just transfer my existing data plan from my iPad 3 to a new iPad. How do they do that, there is and there isn't a phone number (I can't make calls with it, but I see some phone number when my data plan renews each month). Do I need to take that phone number to renew? I am with AT&T.

Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
should be as easy as taking the sim out of the iPad3 and putting it into the Air... and sync the Air to iTunes, and restore the last back-up you have for the iPad3...

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just did this exact same thing. The 3 uses a micro sim, the air uses a nano sim, so it's not just a plug-n-play situation. I had to get my service transferred from the micro to the nano (the air came with a blank nano). You can do this in store, over the phone, or online.

Sent from my iPad

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Oops... forgot about the sim difference... AT&T can easily activate the sim in the Air in place of the one in the iPad3 on the OP's account.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies! How do they do this tranfer between SIMs, is it a serial number on the SIM or on the iPad? Also, are there 2 year service contracts to worry about, like with iPhones?

Thanks again!

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon, and actually use the sim from my unlimited data phone line in my iPad now. I had to give them the SIM # and the MEID to get it switched. I also had to use the MEID of a phone,due to it being a phone line - they wouldn't activate it on an iPad. So I just stuck the nano in my husband's iPhone 5, activated it, and then put it in my iPad.

Sent from my iPad

MisterMe11

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Verizon, and actually use the sim from my unlimited data phone line in my iPad now. I had to give them the SIM # and the MEID to get it switched. I also had to use the MEID of a phone,due to it being a phone line - they wouldn't activate it on an iPad. So I just stuck the nano in my husband's iPhone 5, activated it, and then put it in my iPad.

Sent from my iPad

Out of curiosity, does this work in reverse? I.e putting a tablet SIM into a phone? So you can get a cheap tablet data plan and use it in a phone form factor (assuming you don't care about voice calls?)

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
When you setup your new iPad Air it will ask you if you want to start a new account or have an existing account.
You just tell it you have an existing account and it will ask you for your EMAIL address and password and then you will be done.
I have done this with 3 previous iPads and it works like a charm.

Your old iPad will not be able to access a cell connection.

BTW I am with AT&T.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, does this work in reverse? I.e putting a tablet SIM into a phone? So you can get a cheap tablet data plan and use it in a phone form factor (assuming you don't care about voice calls?)

I've never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't. You wouldn't have calling capability, obviously, unless you got one of the Internet phone numbers that work over data.

Pretty sure it would work on Verizon, thanks to their little government deal, but no clue about the other carriers.

Meredith
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
When you setup your new iPad Air it will ask you if you want to start a new account or have an existing account.
You just tell it you have an existing account and it will ask you for your EMAIL address and password and then you will be done.
I have done this with 3 previous iPads and it works like a charm.

Your old iPad will not be able to access a cell connection.

BTW I am with AT&T.
thank you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2