Theory on Apple storage pricing...

sweetstyle

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Been thinking this through and come up with this alternative view...
The reason Apple charge so much going from 16gb to 32gb to 64gb to 128gb is they make a bigger profit on selling the 16gb as opposed the 128gb, so they need to charge a lot more the bigger you go to ease some of the losses of profit.
Customers who buy the 16gb have a far shorter upgrade cycle, Apple don't just look at the short term they are squeezing a customers spend over a longer period of time than we realise. The more16gb sold the more new customers Apple have buying apps & music. Apple investors love 16gb being sold more than anything else...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's take Apple out of the equation for a moment. Let's focus on the price of a 16, 32, 64, and 128GB microSD card. Why is there a higher price to the higher capacity cards? Do the customers who opt to purchase the 16GB card have a shorter upgrade cycle or did they buy that particular version because it served their purpose?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
SD cards don't jump up $100.00 going from 16 to 32, but I see where you're going.

Why does Apple charge $100.00 for every increase in storage capacity?
Because they can.
If you want the iOS experience, this is what it costs. Take it or leave it.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Flash memory also isn't cheap. Ever look at a solid state drive on a tech website? They're crazy expensive. Comparing flash to sad cards is like comparing Ford with Lexus. They're not the same although they both function in the same way (sort of). SD cards are cheaper because they use a different technology and are external. I do agree that $100 per increment is ridiculous though. I'd say $50 should be sufficient but Apple will be Apple and up charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think they should add 2 more sizes a 256 and 512gb .. And future proof for people .. Movies music pictures and if they opened the file systems somehow even a file system just for storage that does not access the actual OS files to easily store files locally .. People would fill them up. Find a way to ditch iTunes and then you prob would not need a computer at all.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Let's take Apple out of the equation for a moment. Let's focus on the price of a 16, 32, 64, and 128GB microSD card. Why is there a higher price to the higher capacity cards? Do the customers who opt to purchase the 16GB card have a shorter upgrade cycle or did they buy that particular version because it served their purpose?

There you go again, D... using logic on the low-information crowd again...

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Fairly sure the profit margins on the higher-capacity versions are far higher.

Why do they charge like that? Because they can.

On the other hand, one does get wonderful service from Apple when an iPad is busted, so I feel that paying a premium isn't entirely a waste...

sweetstyle

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
16 gigers on mass upgrade more often than than purchasers of the larger capacity models, Apple make more profit out of the 16gb buyers over time...