Screen feels "Plasticky"

iamdjpaul

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
For me when spending over $700 dollars on a device. It's not a matter of "getting used to" , I need to find out if its truly plastic or glass. I do glass for a semi living at http://www.temperedarmor.com for devices and I've seen glass like it. Its called Polly, its a THIN layer of glass with plastic layer on top/back

Getting used to it as it feels and sounds different than my iPad. Not that it is a bad thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have owned almost each rev of the iPad so far and the screen feel on the air is my favorite. I would not say "plasticky". But it feels like a lighter touch is okay. It almost feels soft but yet it is quite solid. This is sure to be due to the new screen technology deployed in order to reduce the size. I am a big fan... and will remain so if it lasts. Each of my other iPads I sold after at least a year of usage and each looked brand new. So we will see how this one does.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It does feel solid but I do have flex on the screen when I press with some pressure I can see the screen actually flex not the LCD but the digitizer.
Touch response seems fine I thought while playing a game I was having issues but I think it's just me getting use to how if hold this thing vs the ipad 4

The way I look at it is its thin of course it won't be as strong as a thicker version if you want that then you get the weight also

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, yes. I wasn't sure if it was just in my mind but I had a feeling that something was a little different about the feel of the screen. I'm not worried about it - still feels good - but I felt like there was a difference.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It does feel solid but I do have flex on the screen when I press with some pressure I can see the screen actually flex not the LCD but the digitizer.
Touch response seems fine I thought while playing a game I was having issues but I think it's just me getting use to how if hold this thing vs the ipad 4

The way I look at it is its thin of course it won't be as strong as a thicker version if you want that then you get the weight also

I had this happen on a iPhone 5. Took it to the apple store and they replaced my device. Mine also made a slight clicking sound when you flexed the screen.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It definitely feels light but the apple quality feel has gone.

I disagree. Both the iPad Air and retina iPad Mini feel just as solid and premium as the 4 and non retina Mini did. Apple definitely did not skimp in the quality of these devices....

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Another great observation that i have noticed is for the first time ever i can use my Ipad air while wearing sunglasses that are polarized. The mini was the only other Ipad you could do this with. All other iPad generations you could only see the screen in landscape mode and it would be blacked out in portrait mode, not the case with the Air. Just like the Mini it works either way. Leading me to believe that the glass has changed a bit.

All these changes are very welcoming for what its worth. I do not type on my screen very often as i am a keyboard case junkie.

Thanks again!

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It feels a tad thinner than my ipad 2 but I got used to it quickly. One thing I noticed however is that it tends to attract and retain dirt/grime a lot more than the other iPads in the house (iPad 2/4/mini). Within a few days there will be little particles on it that can't be removed with a microfiber cloth. Got to use a wet screen cleaner cloth.

fastm3driver

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
After googling "ipad air retna screen flex" I came to this thread. Did you end up bringing it back? I have a similar problem with my new mini. After staring at the air and mini boxes for 3 days trying to pick one I opened the mini and now I'm regretting it. fyi, I came from a ipad 2. The screen flexes quite a bit. I feel it when I pick it up, hold it and can easily see quite a bit of deflection. It's not that it feels plastically but it has a hollow sound to it and if you tap on one side you can feel a wave propagate across to another finger on the glass.
If this is a known problem, I plan on taking it back and either trying another one or looking at the air instead. disappointed.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After googling "ipad air retna screen flex" I came to this thread. Did you end up bringing it back? I have a similar problem with my new mini. After staring at the air and mini boxes for 3 days trying to pick one I opened the mini and now I'm regretting it. fyi, I came from a ipad 2. The screen flexes quite a bit. I feel it when I pick it up, hold it and can easily see quite a bit of deflection. It's not that it feels plastically but it has a hollow sound to it and if you tap on one side you can feel a wave propagate across to another finger on the glass.
If this is a known problem, I plan on taking it back and either trying another one or looking at the air instead. disappointed.

Sounds to me like you just got a defective Mini there because the Mini's screen certainly isn't hollow, nor does it flex as you're describing here. I have the Air and while the screen is slightly different than other iPad's of the past it is definitely very solid.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
LOL my fiancee just stated this yesterday when she started using it. Me personally I haven't noticed a difference with it but I usually don't pay attention to stuff like that.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
There is definitely a an issue out there with the screens. Here is what I mean. I got the iPad air on day one and noticed that the screen felt entirely different compared to my iPad 4. It almost felt "pillowy" to me when I would type out emails, hollow like. I did not think anything of it and just thought it was attributed to the thinness of the Air. Unfortunately 2 weeks later I had to return the Air because the water pump in my truck went out, short on cash, I needed the 729.00. Yesterday I was finally able to save up the extra money to buy a new Air and the screen is MUCH better and does not have that feeling as my first one did. I suppose it would not hurt to take yours back if you are experiencing this. It really is night and day compared to my day one iPad Air.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The first thing I noticed when I got my retina mini was that the screen sounded different when I tapped on it compared to my iPad 3. I suppose plasticky and slightly hollow would be a description of how it sounds.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The first thing I noticed when I got my retina mini was that the screen sounded different when I tapped on it compared to my iPad 3. I suppose plasticky and slightly hollow would be a description of how it sounds.

This pretty much sums up my experience changing from the iPad 2 to the Air. The iPad Air definitely sounds more hollow and less rigid but apart from it being slightly different it's a fantastic bit of kit. Loving the retina screen.

creadling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for posting this, I was concerned that it was just me! It was more important to me to prove to my husband that I was not crazy! Glad to see the comments here, the air is different from my 2 year old ipad 2. Not sure if I will keep it as it is quite a lot of $$

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
From what I can tell the screen is obviously a lot thinner on the Air. It definitely still seems like glass though. Anyone ever tap the screen on their MacBook Pro? It has the same flexible hollow feel/sound.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, it would be nice if they hadn't thinned it out so much though. Just try not to poke it with an iron finger.