The iPad Air or MacBook Air Which would you choose?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iPad Air or MacBook Air; Which would you choose?

If you had to choose between the two, which one would you pick based on your needs?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
re:

Based on my needs, the Macbook Air. Personally, I've yet to find the real usage medium for the iPad...and I find myself constantly realizing that things I regularly do on my Macbook Pro (or any notebook for that matter) are things that are still either impossible to on the iPad, or require too many extra steps for me to do optimally. The Macbook Air, while short on internal storage (compared to what I'm used to), still functions 99% as a normal notebook.

I think most tablets are still several generations away from being real notebook replacements for my needs.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
re:

It has become tougher now. Most of even the technical software I use are there for iPad. So it serves both work and play. However I'd still pick MacBook Air. OS X is more flexible compared to iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

That's tough. Battery life is similar. The MacBook screen isn't as sharp, at a resolution of 1366x768, vs the iPad at 2048x1536... if you get the 128gb iPad, it has the same storage as the base MacBook Air. Which also keeps their prices close. The 128gb iPad will run you $799, vs the base MacBook Air at $999. Both have a 1.3gb dual core, but it's a Core i5 vs the A7. The MacBook starts with 4gb of RAM, and is running OS X... vs 1gb of RAM and iOS 7. I don't know what the iPad has in the way of a GPU, but the MacBook has Intel HD Graphics. The MBA can handle dual display and video mirroring, including output to a Thunderbolt display at 2560x1600 resolution. iPad can do AirPlay mirroring, and video mirroring through a Lightning adapter. The MacBook has 2 USB 3 ports and a Thunderbolt port... vs the iPad's Lightning port.

If you chose, for $929 you can get the iPad in 128gb capacity, with LTE support. Which makes it more useful as a mobile device over the MBA.

If you spec the MacBook Air up at all... you might as well go with a Retina MacBook Pro. Now that they start at $1299, they are quite the value buy.

Anyway... I guess for my usage personally, considering I already have a MacBook Pro, between these two I'd go iPad Air. If I didn't have my MBP, between these two options, I'd probably go for the MacBook Air.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Based on my needs, the Macbook Air. Personally, I've yet to find the real usage medium for the iPad...and I find myself constantly realizing that things I regularly do on my Macbook Pro (or any notebook for that matter) are things that are still either impossible to on the iPad, or require too many extra steps for me to do optimally. The Macbook Air, while short on internal storage (compared to what I'm used to), still functions 99% as a normal notebook.

I think most tablets are still several generations away from being real notebook replacements for my needs.

This mirrors my sentiments to the letter, my friend....;)

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

I still have to learn how to use a Mac. Have and always been a PC user, but with the latest garbage Win8 is... Don't surprise you I move to the fruit for my laptop needs

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

I must admit there are times I am using my iPad and something comes up so I have to put it down and pick up my Mac. But if I was to pick between the two I'd go with the Macbook Air. Especially because I'm a student and nothing beats a keyboard and trackpad for class. (Besides actual paper)

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

iPad Air for sure. I only have a 7" tab now and could use the larger screen for comics.

I'm (mostly) happy with my current laptop and would prefer a Mac Mini to a Macbook Air

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

I traded my iPad in during the summer to get a good price for it and after doing so, I realized how much I liked having it around. But I would rather have my 11 inch MacBook Air if I was forced to chose. Don't get me wrong I am buying an iPad Air on launch day, but the MacBook Air is just more suited for working.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
re:

Ipad air. I have an ipad and a Mac air and I find myself using the ipad way more. I use it to surf the net, check email and twitter.

GeneD

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
re:

Oh hell, just get both, like me. Have a new MacBook Air and will be pairing it with the new iPad Air. Cannot ever have too much of a good thing. Right?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
re:

I assume this question means similar price. So a decked out ipad. Or a base model MBA. I'd get the ipad. Typically, I don't buy the base models.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

Macbook Air of course. It's thinness still amazes to this day.

I mean just look at it.

design_storage.jpg

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

Maybe the point of the topic was: What can you do on a MBA that you can't on an equipped (understand, with a keyboard if the convenience is required) iPad Air?

On such a question, I have to agree that for general public the OS features the same things.
Or maybe I'm missing something? Point it out for me if so please!!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

Based on my needs right now MacBook Air. Barring any hardware failures I can rock my iPad 2 for maybe another couple of years. By then the iPad Invisible will be out. :)

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
iPad Air or MacBook Air; Which would you choose?

Easy for me, MBA. Can't do code on an iPad.
If anything, I will get the mini to add to my MBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro