So I made a mistake and got the S8 instead of the iPhone 7. Now I'm stuck with the S8. I really want to text from my iPad. Is there any way at all I can still text even though I don't have an iPhone? I don't think there is but I thought I would ask.
    07-11-2017 10:20 AM
  2. Ledsteplin said: Best Answer

You should be able to use iMessage with your email address. Go to settings > messages > send and receive > add email > check the email top part and bottom.

You should be able to use iMessage with your email address. Go to settings > messages > send and receive > add email > check the email top part and bottom.

Annie_i6s likes this.
    07-11-2017 11:07 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b26b82cc53.jpg
    Oh really? Hmm that is a good idea. Will I receive every time I get a text on my phone?
    07-11-2017 02:49 PM
    Oh really? Hmm that is a good idea. Will I receive every time I get a text on my phone?
    Just so we’re clear, doing what Ledsteplin stated will allow you to send and receive ‘iMessages’ on your iPad using your Apple ID. You will not be able to send and receive ‘sms’ messages so if you’re expecting to receive the same sms text messages you currently receive on your Samsung device, that’s not going to happen.
    Dconn1975 and thedonp like this.
    07-11-2017 03:27 PM
    Just so we’re clear, doing what Ledsteplin stated will allow you to send and receive ‘iMessages’ on your iPad using your Apple ID. You will not be able to send and receive ‘sms’ messages so if you’re expecting to receive the same sms text messages you currently receive on your Samsung device, that’s not going to happen.
    That's what I thought which is what I hoped I could do. So the best I could do is send and receive but not attached to my phone?
    thedonp likes this.
    07-11-2017 03:41 PM
    What about making calls FaceTime.
    thedonp likes this.
    07-11-2017 03:42 PM
    That's what I thought which is what I hoped I could do. So the best I could do is send and receive but not attached to my phone?
    You will be able to send and receive ‘iMessages’ via your iPad. The sms messages that are sent to the Samsung device will NOT appear on your iPad. Furthermore, the iMessages that appear on your iPad and the SMS messages that appear on your Samsung smartphone will NOT sync with each other.
    thedonp likes this.
    07-11-2017 06:29 PM
    What about making calls FaceTime.
    Yes, you will be able to make FaceTime calls via your iPad, but you’ll only be limited to using FaceTime with other Apple products.
    07-11-2017 06:30 PM
    So basically I can only text people with apple products? I just tried to text my S8 and it wouldn't send. Is this correct? Only works with iMessage only?
    thedonp and anony_mouse like this.
    07-11-2017 08:10 PM
    So basically I can only text people with apple products? I just tried to text my S8 and it wouldn't send. Is this correct? Only works with iMessage only?
    Yes, only iMessage. That's Apple device to Apple device. No SMS texts with non Apple devices like Android.
    thedonp likes this.
    07-11-2017 10:59 PM
    There are several 3rd party solutions also, BUT nothing that will sync with your Sprint number, as I explained in the other thread, only T-Mobile's Digits service does this. It's possible that Sprint will copy and offer this feature at some point. For now you COULD get a paid Skype account which would allow you to use your iPad as a phone with full SMS and phone calling ability. As a non paying Skype user you can only sent to other skype users. There are other popular apps also you can consider (as I explained in your other thread) such as Facebook messenger, Google Hangouts with Google Dialer, BlackBerry Messenger (Don't HATE!), and Whatsapp, which also require the other person to have the app.
    Dconn1975 likes this.
    07-12-2017 10:12 AM
    Sounds like I should have opted for the iPhone 7 instead of the Samsung S8. I just was really impressed with the S8 so much that I got it instead. I wasn't thinking about the iPad texting at the time so now that I've had time to think on it, I might have should have gone for the iPhone 7. I didn't for another reason. Apple is about to release three new models and I would have been stuck with a dated iPhone in a couple of months. The S8 is very smooth and fast with the snap dragon 835 and the resolution is killer. Overall I'll just have to use my iPad to text other apple users only through iMessage. Thanks to all for the sound advice and for responding to my questions. It's been a little over a year since I've used apple again. I exclusively used them up until the 6s then made the jump over to android. Still though there is not anything like IOS at all.
    07-12-2017 03:57 PM
    Sounds like I should have opted for the iPhone 7 instead of the Samsung S8. I just was really impressed with the S8 so much that I got it instead. I wasn't thinking about the iPad texting at the time so now that I've had time to think on it, I might have should have gone for the iPhone 7. I didn't for another reason. Apple is about to release three new models and I would have been stuck with a dated iPhone in a couple of months. The S8 is very smooth and fast with the snap dragon 835 and the resolution is killer. Overall I'll just have to use my iPad to text other apple users only through iMessage. Thanks to all for the sound advice and for responding to my questions. It's been a little over a year since I've used apple again. I exclusively used them up until the 6s then made the jump over to android. Still though there is not anything like IOS at all.
    Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. It's always easy to see things clearly after the fact.

Just for conversation, why did you thing purchasing the iPhone 7 would leave you with a "dated iPhone"? It will continue to be a solid device for quite a while.
    Dconn1975, Just_Me_D and thedonp like this.
    07-12-2017 04:46 PM
    Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. It's always easy to see things clearly after the fact.

Just for conversation, why did you thing purchasing the iPhone 7 would leave you with a "dated iPhone"? It will continue to be a solid device for quite a while.
    With three new models coming out soon it will be somewhat dated. I have a friend who works for apple in Santa Clara who is way up the latter there. Im talking like he makes well over 20k a month and I'm just going off what he specifically told me which is not to buy an iPhone right now. He said there will be three new models announced come September with one being the new iPhone 8. The other two will be enhanced versions of the 7 that is out now. I typically listen to what he says as his job is classified literally lol. He can't and won't tell me what he does for apple as he's not allowed. All I know is that he is an engineer with Apple. He's always guided me on what and when to buy apple products. He's a good resource to have. He even told me to keep the S8 over the iPhone 7 due to it purely being a newly released and most current flagship compared to the iPhone 7 but only due to the announcement and upcoming release of the three new iPhones in September. He did say that I should sell my S8 then and get an iPhone when they are released.

You're right about hind sight. Had I not called him I would have ended up exchanging for the 7 but in his words have lost money due to the new released models. He has a ton of apple knowledge so that's why I spoke of the 7 soon to be dated relatively speaking so to say.
    07-12-2017 06:50 PM
    With three new models coming out soon it will be somewhat dated. I have a friend who works for apple in Santa Clara who is way up the latter there. Im talking like he makes well over 20k a month and I'm just going off what he specifically told me which is not to buy an iPhone right now. He said there will be three new models announced come September with one being the new iPhone 8. The other two will be enhanced versions of the 7 that is out now. I typically listen to what he says as his job is classified literally lol. He can't and won't tell me what he does for apple as he's not allowed. All I know is that he is an engineer with Apple. He's always guided me on what and when to buy apple products. He's a good resource to have. He even told me to keep the S8 over the iPhone 7 due to it purely being a newly released and most current flagship compared to the iPhone 7 but only due to the announcement and upcoming release of the three new iPhones in September. He did say that I should sell my S8 then and get an iPhone when they are released.

You're right about hind sight. Had I not called him I would have ended up exchanging for the 7 but in his words have lost money due to the new released models. He has a ton of apple knowledge so that's why I spoke of the 7 soon to be dated relatively speaking so to say.
    I guess my point is, unless you need the latest and greatest, which is what they want you to do, a 1 year old phone is not really outdated. We all know new models are coming in the fall, that's common knowledge. Our current phones will continue to perform the things we need. Marketing only makes corporations rich.
    xanadome likes this.
    07-12-2017 06:55 PM
    I guess my point is, unless you need the latest and greatest, which is what they want you to do, a 1 year old phone is not really outdated. We all know new models are coming in the fall, that's common knowledge. Our current phones will continue to perform the things we need. Marketing only makes corporations rich.
    Oh I totally agree with you. That is why I still want to exchange for the 7 as I know it's a good well not just good but a very good device. I'm curious though of what changes will be made with the three new models too. I'm still within my exchange window but it'll cost me a restock fee plus a new down payment which sprint has raised on me bc I'm a full customer now and not one that is porting new numbers over so they messed me over there. It's fine though as I love the S8 but I do miss being able to link my iPhone up to my iPad. I'm so used to being exclusive apple that it's bothering me not being able to fully sync up together. At this point I'm vested in the S8 so I'm going to stick with it plus I'm about to unlock it as well. In the end I agree with you though about the 7 being more than a good enough device. Sure I want the latest and greatest but my timing was off a couple months. I'll run with the S8 and if I do make change it will be for the anniversary edition iPhone 8 if it's not too expensive which I have a feeling it will be. Thanks for your insight and feedback. I appreciate it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-12-2017 07:22 PM
    Oh I totally agree with you. That is why I still want to exchange for the 7 as I know it's a good well not just good but a very good device. I'm curious though of what changes will be made with the three new models too. I'm still within my exchange window but it'll cost me a restock fee plus a new down payment which sprint has raised on me bc I'm a full customer now and not one that is porting new numbers over so they messed me over there. It's fine though as I love the S8 but I do miss being able to link my iPhone up to my iPad. I'm so used to being exclusive apple that it's bothering me not being able to fully sync up together. At this point I'm vested in the S8 so I'm going to stick with it plus I'm about to unlock it as well. In the end I agree with you though about the 7 being more than a good enough device. Sure I want the latest and greatest but my timing was off a couple months. I'll run with the S8 and if I do make change it will be for the anniversary edition iPhone 8 if it's not too expensive which I have a feeling it will be. Thanks for your insight and feedback. I appreciate it.
    If you’re that concerned that you’re going to miss out on something great with the devices Apple will introduce this fall then you should consider just using a device that you already own until then. If you keep the S8 beyond the return period or if you exchange it for the iPhone 7, you’re still going to fork over more money if you decide to get the next device from Apple. If you’re buying the S8 or the iPhone 7 via a subsidy, definitely keep using what you already own until the fall if you’re concerned about what will be released at that time.
    Dconn1975 likes this.
    07-12-2017 07:34 PM
    If you’re that concerned that you’re going to miss out on something great with the devices Apple will introduce this fall then you should consider just using a device that you already own until then. If you keep the S8 beyond the return period or if you exchange it for the iPhone 7, you’re still going to fork over more money if you decide to get the next device from Apple. If you’re buying the S8 or the iPhone 7 via a subsidy, definitely keep using what you already own until the fall if you’re concerned about what will be released at that time.
    That's why I'm going to probably keep the S8. It's not so much the latest and greatest as my iPad is new and I went with the iPad Air 2. Same for the S8. I got a very good deal on it which was a deciding factor. The only thing I failed to think about was the compatibility of the iPhone and iPad together. That's simply it. It had been a year since I had used apple and I just plain was not thinking at the moment. Nothing more than that. I'm not going to change phones any time soon even upon the release of the iPhone 8. I'll use the S8 for a good while before I change and then at some point I probably will try and get the iPhone 8 if I like it. There hasn't been an iPhone yet I didn't like so I'm sure I will. I just won't be getting one right away. My S8 will be my daily phone for a while. In the end I just simply miss being able to fully text and receive calls from the iPad. Not a huge deal but it is a cool feature to have. It's not however worth loosing money over which is why I haven't exchanged it for 7 and will wait a while before I go for the iPhone 8. Companies release new phones so fast these days that it's crazy. Like Samsung is about to announce and release the note 8 which will take a hit on the S8 in value and sales.
    07-12-2017 07:46 PM
    That's why I'm going to probably keep the S8. It's not so much the latest and greatest as my iPad is new and I went with the iPad Air 2. Same for the S8. I got a very good deal on it which was a deciding factor. The only thing I failed to think about was the compatibility of the iPhone and iPad together. That's simply it. It had been a year since I had used apple and I just plain was not thinking at the moment. Nothing more than that. I'm not going to change phones any time soon even upon the release of the iPhone 8. I'll use the S8 for a good while before I change and then at some point I probably will try and get the iPhone 8 if I like it. There hasn't been an iPhone yet I didn't like so I'm sure I will. I just won't be getting one right away. My S8 will be my daily phone for a while. In the end I just simply miss being able to fully text and receive calls from the iPad. Not a huge deal but it is a cool feature to have. It's not however worth loosing money over which is why I haven't exchanged it for 7 and will wait a while before I go for the iPhone 8. Companies release new phones so fast these days that it's crazy. Like Samsung is about to announce and release the note 8 which will take a hit on the S8 in value and sales.
    I understand, and best of luck to you, sir....
    TgeekB and thedonp like this.
    07-12-2017 07:51 PM
    As a side note about the iMessenger feature that lets you take calls and texts on your iPad, it actually has many limitations, yea it's still way cool, BUT in order for it to work, the devices have to both be on the same WiFi network, when that happens you can take any call or text on ANY Apple device, BUT when you are not on WiFi, you can ONLY text and only if you have it enabled. However when you are on the same WiFi it's pure magic!
    Dconn1975 likes this.
    07-13-2017 09:06 AM
    As a side note about the iMessenger feature that lets you take calls and texts on your iPad, it actually has many limitations, yea it's still way cool, BUT in order for it to work, the devices have to both be on the same WiFi network, when that happens you can take any call or text on ANY Apple device, BUT when you are not on WiFi, you can ONLY text and only if you have it enabled. However when you are on the same WiFi it's pure magic!
    I know and it's awesome. I'll miss that feature no doubt and already do. Like last night I wanted to take a call from a friend on my iPad and he is an apple user. Could I have still taken his call on my iPad since I was on wifi and he being an apple user. He said can I call this number but I wasn't sure so I just told him to call my phone. So could he have called me on my iPad since we were texting on it? I should have told him to shout at me on my iPad just to see but I wasn't sure if it would have worked. Anyone know if my friend could have still called my iPad instead?
    07-13-2017 09:22 AM

I'm still using the 6s Plus, and don't feel it's outdated at all. The newest hardware features on the 7 Plus I can do without. The same with the coming new iPhones this fall. I'm not that impressed with the rumors I've seen. iOS 11 has a few new features I might like though.
    07-13-2017 09:53 AM