Is there a point to buy iPad Pro 9.7 vs. iPad Air 2

HinoMusouka

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I was waiting for "iPad Air 3" to premiere in March, but instead Apple went with smaller iPad Pro. When I compare Air 2 with this smaller Pro I find hardly any difference from my point of view and considering my requirements I am thinking of going with older iPad Air 2. Could you guys suggest if that's the wrong way to go, like is it going to be made obsolete quite soon, what do you think?

Let me just tell you what I think of iPad Pro - I don't want to have a separate keyboard with my tablet, I can't draw, so I wouldn't be buying the pen; better camera is completely useless to me as I always have iPhone 6s Plus on me, the new True Tone capability doesn't seem as something that I would need. Only the chip is better, and I believe it has more memory. But currently I sometimes use my company's iPad 4 at home and the experience is good enough, so I thought that two generations newer should be fine as well. Small iPad Pro is a little too expensive for me considering that there isn't 64 GB version and I wouldn't like to have a 32 GB one, whereas 128 GB is a waste of money for this much storage. The fact is I need 40 GB for my stuff. And I certainly want to have LTE, which makes iPad Pro unnecessarily expensive considering all the previous choices I made.

So again, is there any disadvantage in buying iPad Air 2 considering my needs and use case scenario consisting of mostly web browsing, watching Netflix and some mail/document editing? Thanks in advance for any opinions, especially from the current users of iPad Air 2.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The iPad Air 2 will serve you just fine. I have had the Air 2 for over a year and it has yet to slow down on me. If you have the extra cash, I would recommend getting the Pro since it's the latest and greatest. Oh and people don't tend to upgrade their tablets annualy, so I usually invest in the latest iPad with a lot of storage.

I myself plan on upgrading to the 12.9" iPad Pro 2 this Fall.

HinoMusouka

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
iPad Pro 2? I thought there won't be any new iPads this year. Do you think there will be any upgrade to the Air or Mini?
Getting latest and greatest considering longer upgrade period is good point to consider, but what I'd need to have would be iPad Pro 9.7 128 GB LTE (for my 40 GB of stuff) and that's almost 50% more expensive than getting 64 GB cellular iPad Air 2.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro 2? I thought there won't be any new iPads this year. Do you think there will be any upgrade to the Air or Mini?
Getting latest and greatest considering longer upgrade period is good point to consider, but what I'd need to have would be iPad Pro 9.7 128 GB LTE (for my 40 GB of stuff) and that's almost 50% more expensive than getting 64 GB cellular iPad Air 2.

I think there won't be an Air anymore as they replaced it with the 9.7" iPad Pro. I'm sure Apple will update the Mini this year (maybe).

If you plan on using the iPad for 2 years+ get the Pro, if not then get the Air 2. If you don't want to spend as much, get the Air 2.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The iPad Air 2 will serve you just fine. I have had the Air 2 for over a year and it has yet to slow down on me. If you have the extra cash, I would recommend getting the Pro since it's the latest and greatest. Oh and people don't tend to upgrade their tablets annualy, so I usually invest in the latest iPad with a lot of storage.

Is there anything to suggest a Pro 2 is even coming out this fall? Just wondering.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't really see the need to upgrade my iPad Air 2. I thought that I would but now seeing what the iPad Pro is I don't think that I'm going to need to.

Sheba623

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a third generation iPad I want to upgrade. The new iPad Pro looks great but to really make use of its "pro" features you need to get the Apple pencil which is an extra $99. Not worth it to me to invest that kind of money for a tablet and the pencil. Hoping that Apple releases a new iPad mini in the Fall if they are no longer making iPad Air.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

yoshimiya08

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I have an air 2 and love it. As much as I love the iPad Pro 12.9" it is overkill for me. Since I can't draw to save my life and don't have much need for the pencil. However the keyboard is nice. I do type a lot on my iPad Air 2. So for me I'd get it for the keyboard. But I only had my air 2 for a few weeks and I love it. I'm happy with it. I'll wait for a new pro to come out.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
If you intend to use a new iPad for typical household activities, then I believe the Air2 is the better choice over the Pro 9.7. Reason: Air2 @ 64GB is $499. Pro 9.7 @ 32GB is $599. Air2 can be found now below Apple retail, and the price should continue to come down.
Bought a gold Air2 128GB on sale 2 weeks ago for my Mom; the 128GB version was around $30 more than the 64GB. It's her first iPad and she loves it.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Based on your needs you will be totally satisfied with the Air 2. I have had one for a year and can't come up with any concrete reasons to get the Pro. It still performs well on IOS9/Jailbroken with a ton of tweaks installed. I would search eBay and sites like B&H for deals before going directly with Apple.

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I decided for the iPad Air 2 over the Mini 4 (Same Price) and the mini Pro ($100 more) and Probably won't be regretting this decision as I need to replace my out of service iPad 3.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the 9.7" iPad Pro, and I like it a lot. Having said that, my last full sized iPad was the iPad 2. I didn't use the iPad Mini that much, and I was looking to replace my early 2009 model MacBook. Having said that, if I was already in possession of an iPad Air 2, I would not consider upgrading to the Pro version. The specs of the Pro are better, but day to day use, at least in my opinion and in my regard, does not justify upgrading from an Air 2.

HinoMusouka

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I think I'm going to get iPad Air 2 since it is just cheaper and what iPad Pro brings is just something I wouldn't use or don't care about.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I think I'm going to get iPad Air 2 since it is just cheaper and what iPad Pro brings is just something I wouldn't use or don't care about.

On behalf of those who responded, you're very welcome...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I got myself the Pro and I LOVE IT.

The Air 2 serves me just fine, although I wanted to have all of my lecture notes and tutorials digitally on the iPad and taking notes is really great with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard.

EnslavedByFaeries

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site

You won't regret it. As the proud owner of an iPad Air 2, it serves all my needs just fine. I too can't draw to save my life, but as a professor astrophysics as well as the owner of an online cross stitch shop, I can tell you with absolute confidence the iPad Air 2 excels in meeting all the demands for my professions as well as my hobbies. (Photography editing and amateur writing.)

I do not need an Apple pencil, but do require a stylus that fits my writing and cross stitch designing needs. Adonit's Jot Touch with Pixel Point is my 'Apple Pencil' which works brilliantly with the iPad Air 2, and the back lit keyboard on my Belkin Smart Case practically makes it a laptop.

No need to spend all that extra money when I can guarantee you will be just as satisfied with the iPad Air 2 as I, and all the other contributors to this thread have shared.

Welcome to the iPad Air family!

cMc

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
You might consider looking for used iPad air 2 off eBay. After the iPad pro 9.7 came out, there was a significant price drop on the air 2. I got a 64gb cellular model for ~$325. Works perfectly. Barely noticeable wear , which is covered by case. It's half the cost of a new model from a year earlier.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You might consider looking for used iPad air 2 off eBay. After the iPad pro 9.7 came out, there was a significant price drop on the air 2. I got a 64gb cellular model for ~$325. Works perfectly. Barely noticeable wear , which is covered by case. It's half the cost of a new model from a year earlier.

$325 !? Wow!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro