Careful. The Surface Pro runs full desktop class Windows, and you can install existing .exe(s) via a flash drive or other media. The Surface on the other hand, to my understanding runs the RT version of Windows where you can only install apps through the Windows Store.

(Once upon a time I had a Surface Pro 2, so if things have changed a bit, please correct me....)
    Surface Pro(s) have core i3/i5/i7 processors. Surface 3 (most current) has an atom processor.

There is no longer an "RT" version of Surface or Windows. The Surface line runs full 64 bit windows 10, and will from here forward.

My advice is to get the device you need for your primary use. If it's a Surface, you'll love it. As a tablet it's quite different from an iPad. The iPad is particularly useful if you need or want it for certain apps. Plus it has killer battery life. The Surface is a much more capable laptop replacement device. I dumped my 6 year old dell laptop for a Surface 3, and I use it for word processing, email, and handwriting notes, along with Web browsing and streaming video. I still use a desktop at my office.

Good luck!
    12-28-2015 01:02 PM
    As an owner of both a Surface Pro 3 and an iPad Pro w/ Pencil, I can attest that the Pencil is better than the Surface Pen for writing and drawing. iOS has a long way to go before I would call it 'pro,' though.

The Surface lineup is pretty good for a student. It really can do lightweight notebook work and some tablet work--just don't expect it to be superb at either.
    12-28-2015 08:05 PM
    Surface Pro(s) have core i3/i5/i7 processors. Surface 3 (most current) has an atom processor.

There is no longer an "RT" version of Surface or Windows. The Surface line runs full 64 bit windows 10, and will from here forward.

My advice is to get the device you need for your primary use. If it's a Surface, you'll love it. As a tablet it's quite different from an iPad. The iPad is particularly useful if you need or want it for certain apps. Plus it has killer battery life. The Surface is a much more capable laptop replacement device. I dumped my 6 year old dell laptop for a Surface 3, and I use it for word processing, email, and handwriting notes, along with Web browsing and streaming video. I still use a desktop at my office.

Good luck!
    No more RT? Sweet.
    12-30-2015 09:31 PM
    I personally use my iPad as a laptop. I have a Bluetooth Zagg keyboard case for it so I can take notes or use it as I would a laptop. Everything I could do on my laptop is an app available for my iPad now.
    01-08-2016 04:42 PM
    I personally use my iPad as a laptop. I have a Bluetooth Zagg keyboard case for it so I can take notes or use it as I would a laptop. Everything I could do on my laptop is an app available for my iPad now.
    Still doesn't have a desktop os like os x, Linux or Windows
    01-08-2016 04:43 PM
30 12