What is the advantage of having cellular on an iPad Air 2?

I

iMore Question

What is the advantage of having cellular on an IPad Air 2

I need an I Pad that is good for both business use and personal use and want
to maximize the use of this I Pad

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is the advantage of having cellular on an IPad Air 2

Welcome to iMore! The big advantage of having a cellular model is the ability to be connected when you're not near wifi. The value is slightly diluted these days because most carriers build personal hotspot into wireless plans. Just keep in mind that personal hotspot (which would allow a regular wifi iPad to connect to the internet through your phone, assuming it's capable) feeds off of your wireless plan's data allowance.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Adding to what DevilishBanker said, using your phone's hotspot also drains your phone's battery. So the advantage to having a cellular tablet is basically always being connected to the Internet without draining your phone's battery.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

The sole reason I got a cellular iPad is because I take a lot of trips to the ocean during the summer. I spend most days on the beach and it's nice to be able to read articles/stream a podcast/ browse the web while on the beach. 🏽

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Saves from having to carry a phone and a tablet...

Technically true, but I've owned a cellular iPad and still felt the need to carry my phone. What if someone tries to call? Unless you're within close range of your phone handoff doesn't work.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

When people call me it pops up on both my iPad and iPhone screens... I can answer on either. It has done this since the day I got my iPad.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You have to be near your phone to do that...

Unless you're like me and use Hangouts/Google Voice for calls and texts.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

Now the use iPhone connection choice is selected in my iPad's settings, but my phone isn't always "near" my ipad when the calls come through. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1450920434.999976.jpg

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
They have to be on the same Wi-Fi network, unless you're getting FaceTime audio calls. You can get those without an iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox