What is this weird iPad Air 2 WI-Fi model in a Cellular body?

I

iMore Question

Weird iPad Air 2 WI-Fi model in a Cellular body

So, my story began when I bought used iPad Air 2 online which was described as Wi-Fi only model (A1566), but as I received it i found out that an iPad has a Cellular model body (SIM-card slot present, black plastic thingey next to the rear camera etc). but it behaved like Wi-Fi only iPad (there were no Cellular settings). I received it with Jailbroken iOS 9.0.2. When I tried to restore it to factory default settings, the iPad stuck with Apple logo. Then when I updated it to the latest iOS version (iOS 9.1 by that time), I found out that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is no longer working (Wi-Fi button greyed out). iTunes also recognises it as a Wi-Fi only model. (so weird)

So, I have a couple of questions:
- how is it possible to force Wi-Fi to work again with or without jailbrake?
- is it possible toforce iTunes to update the iPad with Cellular version of iOS firmware?
It just seems that the previous owner did something weird with it but why and how?

Any suggestions and advices with be very appriciated.

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Weird iPad Air 2 WI-Fi model in a Cellular body

I honestly do not know, but hopefully someone who does will reply soon. In the meantime, try contacting Apple Support for advice and a possible remedy.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

Maybe whip it in to an Apple Store? Sounds strange...

johnmed3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Maybe the guy, sold you a fake iPad? That's very strange that wifi doesn't work, and strange that it has the cellular antenna spot 🤔 !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like a motherboard swap happened IMO .. Def strange wifi Is grey out that could be a hardware issue have you tried a dfu mode restore ?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

So, my story began when I bought used iPad Air 2 online which was described as Wi-Fi only model (A1566), but as I received it i found out that an iPad has a Cellular model body (SIM-card slot present, black plastic thingey next to the rear camera etc). but it behaved like Wi-Fi only iPad (there were no Cellular settings). I received it with Jailbroken iOS 9.0.2. When I tried to restore it to factory default settings, the iPad stuck with Apple logo. Then when I updated it to the latest iOS version (iOS 9.1 by that time), I found out that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is no longer working (Wi-Fi button greyed out). iTunes also recognises it as a Wi-Fi only model. (so weird)

So, I have a couple of questions:
- how is it possible to force Wi-Fi to work again with or without jailbrake?
- is it possible toforce iTunes to update the iPad with Cellular version of iOS firmware?
It just seems that the previous owner did something weird with it but why and how?

Any suggestions and advices with be very appriciated.

Thanks.

This is Ebay? If so i would exhaust any other options then see if you can return the iPad. If the seller had no clue then he would most likely do a return and if not go tell Ebay.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner