Hello, I have been saving for months for an iPad Air 2, and I believe I will be ready to buy next moth. However, I just found out that the Wifi version does not have a GPS in it. That is actually making me rethink the iPad, because I am considering doing a few GPS apps. To be completely clear, is there GPS capabilities in the apps themselves? Is it possible at all for a wifi only Ipad to play a game like ingress or anything like that? And this means the websites that want your location can never get it? Sorry, I'm used to Samsung Tab and LG phone, I just assumed the GPS would be there. How different is a tablet without GPS? I'd appriciate any imput. Thanks.
    09-22-2015 02:57 PM
    A wifi iPad can use GPS apps - but the location it will use is that of the wifi hotspot you're connected to - if that wifi hotspot is accurately located and the data for it is in the database the iPad uses for wifi location...

It is possible to use an external GPS receiver that the wifi iPad can connect to via Bluetooth - Garmin makes one, as does BadElf... or - external GPS receivers are out there that plug into an iPad (or iPod or iPhone) charging port that give additional GPS reception capabilities... BadElf makes one...
    09-22-2015 03:04 PM
    Oh, thanks for that info. I guess I'll just use my phone for any GPSing, like Geocatching or stuff like that, and I guess a wifi ipad doesn't really need one. I guess I was just concerned about apps that wouldn't run, but if they can that's good. Can't wait to have the Air 2.
    09-22-2015 03:33 PM