On my way to work yesterday, i decided to read a few documents on the train ride into Manhattan. I pulled out my iPad Air 2, began to read my book and noticed the screen did not feel like normal. Upon further inspection, my 3 month old iPad Air 2 has a shallow "C" curve with the top and bottom end flaring away from the screen. Pictures will follow.

Has anyone else witnessed this before?

--steven
    05-15-2015 12:41 PM
    Would like to see pictures. I have not heard of this as being a wide scale problem. Your thread is the first I have read. No "bendgate" as far as I am aware with the iPad Air. It IS thinner and lighter than other iPads so perhaps it's more prone to physical damage than other iPads? Is/Was it kept in a tight bag? Was it dropped? If you have Apple Care, plus since you are in your first year of ownership. Why don't you take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. Technically they don't cover physical damage, BUT you never know they have been know to go above and beyond for customers!
    05-15-2015 12:49 PM
    I will post pics as soon as possible; i left my iPad home today.
    05-15-2015 12:54 PM
    Definitely get it to an Apple Store. They may replace it if they see no evidence of damage at your fault.
    Bigeric23 likes this.
    05-15-2015 01:35 PM
    I have not heard of anything like this with the iPad.
    05-15-2015 02:18 PM
    That would take a substantial amount of pressure to do. Someone step on your bag?
    05-15-2015 02:59 PM
    Sorry, I've been really busy and haven't been able to take or upload a pic. I don't think anyone stepped on it. The glass is curved with the case. I was theorizing the other it's the corners i usually hold the iPad upper right and lower right. The heat from my hands might make the aluminum and glass malleable enough to bend?
    05-18-2015 11:22 AM
    Sorry, I've been really busy and haven't been able to take or upload a pic. I don't think anyone stepped on it. The glass is curved with the case. I was theorizing the other it's the corners i usually hold the iPad upper right and lower right. The heat from my hands might make the aluminum and glass malleable enough to bend?
    I doubt it, but as has already been asked, is it possible that someone stepped on your book bag or could have been bent by applied pressure from the contents of the book bag?
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 05-18-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    05-18-2015 11:31 AM
    Rofl, aluminum melts at >600c, glass at 1400c. I don't think your hands are that hot. Unless you're the human torch.
    05-18-2015 11:34 AM
    Lol yeah man I don't think your hands melted your iPad in any way. My mom has an original iPad mini and hers is bent as well. It works fine so were avoiding fixing it but we have no clue how it happened. It was left in my room while I was gone for a weekend and when I came back it was bent. It is highly possible that I didn't notice it before I left though. Took it to the Apple store and they said they'd sell me a new one at a lower cost. Good luck!
    05-18-2015 07:36 PM
    i am THOR lol

Here is a pic i attempted to take of the bent iPad.
    IPad Air 2 Bent-img_0095-14-.jpg
    05-26-2015 01:05 PM
    I can see it right there at the bottom! I can not imagine how you managed to do that!
    05-27-2015 09:18 AM
    Not to start trouble or get bashed but my guys iPhone 6 bent. I think it's this thin form factor. It's just more susceptible to being warped/bent. Just little things like being in a pocket or a right spot in a backpack seem to do the trick. My guy is a bit stressed and ended up getting a galaxy S5 active.

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE
    05-27-2015 09:51 AM
    It's exactly that the Genius at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue said. It is only cosmetic damage and nothing electronically wrong so it's just warped after a couple of months of use.
    06-17-2015 03:27 PM
    Wow.. never expected ipad air 2 bent like that. Gotta be super cautious!
    06-20-2015 04:12 PM
    It's exactly that the Genius at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue said. It is only cosmetic damage and nothing electronically wrong so it's just warped after a couple of months of use.
    Dang, I wonder why they didn't replace it! They replace bent iPhones, so why not iPads too? Hmm...
    06-21-2015 01:42 AM
    They don't always replace bent iPhones. They told my brother it was a user accident and $299 to fix. He had his bend inside a lifeproof case so these thinner is better devices apple is convincing people are good are very easily bent.
    06-24-2015 06:35 PM
    They don't always replace bent iPhones. They told my brother it was a user accident and $299 to fix. He had his bend inside a lifeproof case so these thinner is better devices apple is convincing people are good are very easily bent.
    Meh. I go caseless half the time and carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket most of the time. Mine isn't bent.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-24-2015 06:51 PM
    I have a very minimal case on my air 2 and have not had any issues

Sent from my iPhone 6
    06-24-2015 06:55 PM
    Man I would try a diff Apple Store or go again I'm surprised they didn't replace it .. It's kind of difficult to purposely bend a iPad and not crack the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-24-2015 08:47 PM
    I'm not surprised at all that they didn't replace it. Device won't bend on its own means it was caused by the end user, no replacement. If they did, awesome, and Apple is frequently awesome but we can't always get that.

Take care of your ****, people.
    06-27-2015 02:16 PM
    On my way to work yesterday, i decided to read a few documents on the train ride into Manhattan. I pulled out my iPad Air 2, began to read my book and noticed the screen did not feel like normal. Upon further inspection, my 3 month old iPad Air 2 has a shallow "C" curve with the top and bottom end flaring away from the screen. Pictures will follow.

Has anyone else witnessed this before?

--steven
    Hi Steven, i own the lifeproof nuud for my ipad air 2 and I just had it for 4 months.

And I just realised that the ipad air 2 also has a slight bend due to the lifeproof.

I don't know if the cover is meant to be this way or not. But I think it's possible to get a new ipad if you still have the 1 year warranty for your ipad.

Maybe it's because the air 2 is slimmer that's why this happens. Might go to the apple store to get a replacement if it's possible.

Leonard
    07-06-2015 06:19 AM
    My ipad air 2 also developed a curve without ever having been dropped or damaged. The apple forums suggest it is due to a defective battery which overheats and expands. The pressure of its expansion is enough to warp the casing. Some stores will offer a replacement while others will just accuse you of damaging it. There is no consistent Apple policy to what is being revealed is an apparent manufacturers defect.
    07-23-2015 05:37 PM
    Meh. I go caseless half the time and carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket most of the time. Mine isn't bent.
    I use the minimalist Black Apple Leather Case and I carry my 6Plus in my back pocket as well, with no bending/warping issues at all, however my clothing is loose fitting except for one pair of jeans that I don't wear anymore...SMILE
    07-23-2015 06:13 PM
    I called back to Apple Store just now with my bent IPADair
    They wouldn't cover it even though it's still wishin the warranty period. Said it was physical damage which implied I had dropped it or sat on it so basically TOUGH
    Really annoyed as had done nothing to cause this to happen
    07-31-2015 05:51 PM
39 12