IPad Air 2 Bent

anon(124566)

May 3, 2013
Visit site
On my way to work yesterday, i decided to read a few documents on the train ride into Manhattan. I pulled out my iPad Air 2, began to read my book and noticed the screen did not feel like normal. Upon further inspection, my 3 month old iPad Air 2 has a shallow "C" curve with the top and bottom end flaring away from the screen. Pictures will follow.

Has anyone else witnessed this before?

--steven

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Would like to see pictures. I have not heard of this as being a wide scale problem. Your thread is the first I have read. No "bendgate" as far as I am aware with the iPad Air. It IS thinner and lighter than other iPads so perhaps it's more prone to physical damage than other iPads? Is/Was it kept in a tight bag? Was it dropped? If you have Apple Care, plus since you are in your first year of ownership. Why don't you take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. Technically they don't cover physical damage, BUT you never know they have been know to go above and beyond for customers!

anon(124566)

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I've been really busy and haven't been able to take or upload a pic. I don't think anyone stepped on it. The glass is curved with the case. I was theorizing the other it's the corners i usually hold the iPad upper right and lower right. The heat from my hands might make the aluminum and glass malleable enough to bend?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I've been really busy and haven't been able to take or upload a pic. I don't think anyone stepped on it. The glass is curved with the case. I was theorizing the other it's the corners i usually hold the iPad upper right and lower right. The heat from my hands might make the aluminum and glass malleable enough to bend?

I doubt it, but as has already been asked, is it possible that someone stepped on your book bag or could have been bent by applied pressure from the contents of the book bag?

Last edited:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Rofl, aluminum melts at >600c, glass at 1400c. I don't think your hands are that hot. Unless you're the human torch.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Lol yeah man I don't think your hands melted your iPad in any way. My mom has an original iPad mini and hers is bent as well. It works fine so were avoiding fixing it but we have no clue how it happened. It was left in my room while I was gone for a weekend and when I came back it was bent. It is highly possible that I didn't notice it before I left though. Took it to the Apple store and they said they'd sell me a new one at a lower cost. Good luck!

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Not to start trouble or get bashed but my guys iPhone 6 bent. I think it's this thin form factor. It's just more susceptible to being warped/bent. Just little things like being in a pocket or a right spot in a backpack seem to do the trick. My guy is a bit stressed and ended up getting a galaxy S5 active.

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE

anon(124566)

May 3, 2013
Visit site
It's exactly that the Genius at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue said. It is only cosmetic damage and nothing electronically wrong so it's just warped after a couple of months of use.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It's exactly that the Genius at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue said. It is only cosmetic damage and nothing electronically wrong so it's just warped after a couple of months of use.

Dang, I wonder why they didn't replace it! They replace bent iPhones, so why not iPads too? Hmm...

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
They don't always replace bent iPhones. They told my brother it was a user accident and $299 to fix. He had his bend inside a lifeproof case so these thinner is better devices apple is convincing people are good are very easily bent.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
They don't always replace bent iPhones. They told my brother it was a user accident and $299 to fix. He had his bend inside a lifeproof case so these thinner is better devices apple is convincing people are good are very easily bent.

Meh. I go caseless half the time and carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket most of the time. Mine isn't bent.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Man I would try a diff Apple Store or go again I'm surprised they didn't replace it .. It's kind of difficult to purposely bend a iPad and not crack the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk