What is the basic difference between an iPad and Samsung pad?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Basic difference between Ipad and Samsung pad

As a tablet, the iPad I think is without peer from a hardware perspective... By that I mean the build quality, the materials, the way it is put together, the screen quality, etc... The flagship Android tabs are nice, and many of them have more power and better features, but I haven't seen one that is put together as well as the iPad.

My biggest gripe with Apple, is the OS. The tablet is "smoother", because there is very little going on... There are no widgets, there is no real time data or true multitasking going on, etc.. It is Windows 3.11 versus Windows 7, as far as a UI goes. It got a little better when Apple copied Android's notification system, but the desktop environment is still a very rudimentary and static environment. So it better be smooth, as it is just sitting there doing pretty much nothing.

The lack of customization annoys me. Why, in 2015, can we still not arrange icons the way we want? You can move them to different screens, or make some folders, but again, like Windows 3.11, that's it. I have Microsoft "Outlook Web App" installed to access my work email. The icon simply says "OWA". Why the hell can't I rename that icon to "Outlook" or something like that?

These are not crazy and off the wall things here... Wanting to arrange your icons a certain way, like maybe around the border, so that the pic of your kid that is your wallpaper isn't so obscured.

It's a lit of little things like that, I think, that take away from the device. Overall I still like it... I returned my laggy Mini 2 Ret and spent more money on not only an iPad Air 2 64GB, but I picked up a second one as well... So I am not "Bashing Apple"...

But I think it is important to point out the flaws and where the competition is better, as that helps companies be better. If everyone just ignores the warts on the product and silently throws down their $500 cash every 12 months when Apple releases a barely updated version of what you already own... then there is little incentive for them to improve their products. They will do the bare minimum to get your continued business.

That's the problem I have with true fanboys or lifestyle brands, be it Apple, or Harley Davidson...

I am a huge Android fan, and yet I have an iPad, and I use Linux and Windows, and I have even installed OSX to my gaming PC. I don't have this blind loyalty to any brand, and I have never camped out in line to get a stupid phone.

Apple has listened in some areas, hence their borrowing certain features from Android, including larger screens and finally getting HD screens on the iPhone 6. 2-3 years late to the party, but better late than never, right? And the result? Increased sales and a slight bump in marketshare.

So they do listen, eventually, but only when enough people make some noise... Sitting there silently worshiping at the alter of Apple, doesn't push innovation.

I did a long write up of my iPad Mini Ret, posted in that section of this forum. I gave the good and bad of both, and said that while Android dominates the phone market, the tablet market is not as caught up and is not as polished, etc...

So while I have a team, I guess, I don't just cheer lead for them without question. I have had plenty of issues with Android products over the years, just as I had plenty of issues with iPhones over the years, which was why I finally pulled the plug and left Apple in the first place...

Only through competition and questioning the status quo, do companies and their products get better.

The iPad is a fantastic product, despite its limitations... But iOS is clearly holding it back, because this tablet could be so much more...

Let me clear up a misconception. On too many occasions, I've read where people who prefer Apple products and services over any other are frowned upon. We're foolish for not being open to a competitor, especially one with devices that have better specs or perform better or allow for better customizations. It troubles certain people to the point of hate that some of us are content with Apple's products and services. Millions upon millions buy their products year after year and it drives others crazy. The bulk of those who purchase Apple's products and services are simply because they are "satisfied customers". Yes, it is that simple! It doesn't mean that we don't have any gripes here and there about those products and services because we do, but the things we gripe about do not outweigh the pros. As a kid, my parents used Crest toothpaste. Over the years, I've tried everything from AIM to Colgate, and yet, I always go back to using Crest. Why? I like it better than the others. Period. iOS may indeed hold back the performance of certain devices, yet, more and more companies are turning to that same held back OS for their business needs. To them, and millions of consumers, iOS is more than sufficient. Apple products and services continue to get better with each iteration. Are there setbacks here and there? of course there are, but are the setbacks correctable? You betcha! Has the iPhone, iPad and Mac improved from the original version? If so, then why give the impression that they haven't by saying that "only through competition and questioning the status quo, do companies and their products get better"? Furthermore, are you not ignoring that the fact that repeat customers are more often than not "satisfied customers" when you state, " If everyone just ignores the warts on the product and silently throws down their $500 cash every 12 months when Apple releases a barely updated version of what you already own... then there is little incentive for them to improve their products. They will do the bare minimum to get your continued business."? It's amazing that we can have a favorite food, drink, color, pair of jeans, etcetera, but we can't have Apple as a favorite brand of smart products and services.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Basic difference between Ipad and Samsung pad

Let me clear up a misconception. On too many occasions, I've read where people who prefer Apple products and services over any other are frowned upon. We're foolish for not being open to a competitor, especially one with devices that have better specs or perform better or allow for better customizations. It troubles certain people to the point of hate that some of us are content with Apple's products and services. Millions upon millions buy their products year after year and it drives others crazy. The bulk of those who purchase Apple's products and services are simply because they are "satisfied customers". Yes, it is that simple! It doesn't mean that we don't have any gripes here and there about those products and services because we do, but the things we gripe about doesn't outweigh the pros. As a kid, my parents used Crest toothpaste. Over the years, I've tried everything from AIM to Colgate, and yet, I always go back to using Crest. Why? I like it better than the others. Period. iOS may indeed hold back the performance of certain devices, yet, more and more companies are turning to that same held back OS for their business needs. To them, and millions of consumers, iOS is more than sufficient. Apple products and services continue to get better with each iteration. Are there setbacks here and there? of course there are, but are the setback correctable? You betcha! Has the iPhone, iPad and Mac improved from the original version? If so, then why give the impression that they haven't by saying that "only through competition and questioning the status quo, do companies and their products get better"? Furthermore, are you not ignoring that the fact that repeat customers are more often than not "satisfied customers" when you state, " If everyone just ignores the warts on the product and silently throws down their $500 cash every 12 months when Apple releases a barely updated version of what you already own... then there is little incentive for them to improve their products. They will do the bare minimum to get your continued business."? It's amazing that we can have a favorite food, drink, color, pair of jeans, etcetera, but we can't have Apple as a favorite brand of smart products and services.

Soda doesn't change. Sure, you could conceivably improve the taste, but certain "go to" products provide comfort to people if for no other reason than familiarity.

I think that blind brand loyalty bothers some of us. We all have preferences. I like Ducati motorcycles, and have owned 7 of them. Yet I ride an Aprilia today, I have also had 2 Triumphs, 4 Honda's, 2 Yamaha's, 2 Suzuki's and a KTM...

I wouldn't classify myself as a "Ducati Guy", the way that most Harley riders do. There is a difference in the mindset, at least in my experience. Certain brands are "lifestyle brands". It's less about the product, and more about the image. Harley is such a brand, and so is Apple.

That doesn't mean that the products themselves are bad. They are fine, good even. But you just don't tend to see that blind fanaticism in other brands. You don't see news crews camped out at Android or Ducati or Toyota product launches for a week, like you do with the iPhone.

To people like me, it is a phone, a bit of kit, a toy and a tool. To a lot of Apple fans, this is an event, it is the lifestyle, this is something personal... and we sit there scratching our heads wondering what is up with that. LOL

If you ask the person why they are living like a homeless person on the street for 4 days in the cold, they are all giddy over being the first to get the phone. If you ask them what the iPhone 5 does that their iPhone 4 can't, or that any Android phone couldn't do 2 years ago, they just stare blankly in most cases.

Because it isn't about the phone, or the product. It's about the lifestyle.

So we all have favorites, but I think that people like me will step outside of that if there is a better fit, better price, or just to try something different.

I think that to the Apple fan, they won't step out or even consider it unless their job requires them to have an alternate device.

Since you opened up this topic, here is an article that a guy I used to talk to on a different forum many years ago wrote, on his opinion of the difference between PC fans and Mac fans... always made sense to me...

""A Sour Apple"
Ed Stroligo - 3/30/04

Every once in a while Apple introduces something, claims that its new product is a million percent faster than anything else, the Macsters have orgasms, and everyone else laughs.

Well, Dell didn't laugh this time around. They filed a complaint with the department of the Better Business Bureau responsible for misleading advertising (the National Advertising Division),and they ruled against Apple.

Macsters reacted like Macsters always do, like this (see the first letter in the article).

Pathetic, isn't it?

What's even more pathetic is that someday (and it might be soon if IBM can get high speed 90nm G5s out faster than AMD can get 90nm Hammers out) the story will become true, and nobody will believe it, a real-life "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story.

What Is It With These People?

A little while back, someone submitted an article to Joe describing the replacement of the guts of a G5 system with an Athlon system.

Joe kind of scratched his head about that being the smartest idea in the world, but he edited and put it up, not thinking it was anything earthshattering.

Well, that article got about seven times more page impressions than the second most popular article we've ever written, and most of them came from Macsters. For days, this was effectively a Mac site, most of our viewers used a Mac OS.

The difference between PC users and Macsters was typlified by the reactions I saw in various forums.

The typical PC user reaction was, "That *****! He gave away the G5 parts rather than sell them on eBay?" To them, it was an act of financial foolishness, a sin of wasting his parents' money.

One of the two typical Mac user reaction was, "He . . . he . . . defiled our machine!" To them, it was an act of desecration and sacrilege, a sin of blasphemy.

The other was "What do you expect? Pearls before swine."

Why the difference?

Apple runs a very interesting business. They really don't sell hardware. Rather, they sell a vision. The vision is that of Apple being an elite computer company building elite computers for elite people. They sell status to Mac users.

When that's the vision, you can't let reality get in the way.

So when you or anybody else points out that this is more a Wizard of Oz operation than a elite computing strike force, that Macs are little different than PCs, facts and truths don't matter. Understand that you aren't attacking Apple or Macs in the mind of the Macster. You're attacking the vision, which means that you're attacking that person's status, his or her self-esteem. It's a personal attack, and that's why they respond the way they do.

That's why getting Mac users who have bought into the vision to acknowledge reality is about as tough as curing pedophiles.

MacTactics In The PC World

None of this is new to Macdom. What is new in the PC world is that others are trying to sell the same Macvision, accompanied by the same Macprices. The pitch is "We can make you special, important."

Not going to name names, that's not important. It's the approach that matters.

No material good in the world thing makes you elite. No material good in the world makes you important. At most, what are called status symbols are just by-products of being elite or important, and if you can buy it for tens or hundreds or a few thousand dollars, it's not much of a status symbol. If just about anybody could buy it if they really wanted to, how does that make you special?

You can't buy greatness. You can only earn it. "

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Soda doesn't change. Sure, you could conceivably improve the taste, but certain "go to" products provide comfort to people if for no other reason than familiarity.

I think that blind brand loyalty bothers some of us. We all have preferences. I like Ducati motorcycles, and have owned 7 of them. Yet I ride an Aprilia today, I have also had 2 Triumphs, 4 Honda's, 2 Yamaha's, 2 Suzuki's and a KTM...

I wouldn't classify myself as a "Ducati Guy", the way that most Harley riders do. There is a difference in the mindset, at least in my experience. Certain brands are "lifestyle brands". It's less about the product, and more about the image. Harley is such a brand, and so is Apple.

That doesn't mean that the products themselves are bad. They are fine, good even. But you just don't tend to see that blind fanaticism in other brands. You don't see news crews camped out at Android or Ducati or Toyota product launches for a week, like you do with the iPhone.

To people like me, it is a phone, a bit of kit, a toy and a tool. To a lot of Apple fans, this is an event, it is the lifestyle, this is something personal... and we sit there scratching our heads wondering what is up with that. LOL

If you ask the person why they are living like a homeless person on the street for 4 days in the cold, they are all giddy over being the first to get the phone. If you ask them what the iPhone 5 does that their iPhone 4 can't, or that any Android phone couldn't do 2 years ago, they just stare blankly in most cases.

Because it isn't about the phone, or the product. It's about the lifestyle.

So we all have favorites, but I think that people like me will step outside of that if there is a better fit, better price, or just to try something different.

I think that to the Apple fan, they won't step out or even consider it unless their job requires them to have an alternate device.

The problem you are making is that you are associating the above with ALL of us. We are not all blindly loyal to Apple or to any other brand. In fact, if you take photos of everyone standing in line at an Apple launch around the world, you will find that the number is a mere fraction of the total. Let's use me as an example. I am a Fan of Apple products and services. Over the years, I've owned Atari computers, Commodore computers, Windows computers, I knew DOS like the back of my hand. I've tried every linux OS available a few years back, and I've owned a mobile device phone since 1989. I was "LOYAL" to the Blackberry brand. I've flashed every custom ROM available at the time for the Android devices I had. Having said that, I finally came to Apple and found contentment. Their products and services work best for "me". Is that a bad thing? Do we not buy products and services for our own benefit? Isn't competition a good thing? If I'm dissatisfied with one, I can always go to a competitor, right? However, if I'm satisfied with one, should I be forced to go to a competitor anyway? Different strokes for different folks often rings hollow to some people when it involves being satisfied with Apple. Why is that? If all of a sudden, launches of Samsung devices became events on the level of Apple, would you say the same things about their fans as you do Apple fans? Anyway, it's okay to want better on occasion, but it's also okay to be content with what you have.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The problem you are making is that you are associating the above with ALL of us. We are not all blindly loyal to Apple or to any other brand. In fact, if you take photos of everyone standing in line at an Apple launch around the world, you will find that the number is a mere fraction of the total. Let's use me as an example. I am a Fan of Apple products and services. Over the years, I've owned Atari computers, Commodore computers, Windows computers, I knew DOS like the back of my hand. I've tried every linux OS available a few years back, and I've owned a mobile device phone since 1989. I was "LOYAL" to the Blackberry brand. I've flashed every custom ROM available at the time for the Android devices I had. Having said that, I finally came to Apple and found contentment. Their products and services work best for "me". Is that a bad thing? Do we not buy products and services for our own benefit? Isn't competition a good thing? If I'm dissatisfied with one, I can always go to a competitor, right? However, if I'm satisfied with one, should I be forced to go to a competitor anyway? Different strokes for different folks often rings hollow to some people when it involves being satisfied with Apple. Why is that? If all of a sudden, launches of Samsung devices became events on the level of Apple, would you say the same things about their fans as you do Apple fans? Anyway, it's okay to want better on occasion, but it's also okay to be content with what you have.

Fair enough. Obviously not everyone is like that, right? haha

I think that like most things in life, the vocal or over the top ones get all the attention... The people risking hypothermia just to get a phone that they could buy the day after launch anyway, seems really stupid to most people. And Apple seems to be the only brand to garner that kind of behavior... I don't see anyone doing that for Samsung or Motorola, do you?

Perhaps that is why people look at Apple fans that way. In my experience, most people that are true fans of Apple, don't even know why they like it. It's just the "cool" brand to have, or "everyone said you gotta have an iPhone"... It doesn't do a single thing that the competition can't or doesn't do, but there is a long list of things that the competition can do that Apple can't. But most serious Apple fans don't even know that.

You will find that the average Android fan, is far more up on not only what their team can do, but what the competition can do as well. They tend to be more educated on what is going on, rather than just bury their nose in their ecosystem and ignore the rest.

But I agree, there are people like that in everything I guess... But like I said, I never saw mile long lines of people camping out for days on end to buy any phone other than Apple. And it isn't like they can't buy the phone online or at a store the day after launch. Their mindset and willingness to do that suggests that it isn't about "being content" or a "happy customer"...

This kind of frenzy goes way beyond that, I think... That's the behavior of a lifestyle brand.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. Obviously not everyone is like that, right? haha
That's right :)

I think that like most things in life, the vocal or over the top ones get all the attention... The people risking hypothermia just to get a phone that they could buy the day after launch anyway, seems really stupid to most people. And Apple seems to be the only brand to garner that kind of behavior... I don't see anyone doing that for Samsung or Motorola, do you?
No, I do not, but I also don't see the problem with the ones who do for Apple. People also take risks while standing in line for concert tickets, sporting event tickets, Black Friday sales, etcetera.

Perhaps that is why people look at Apple fans that way. In my experience, most people that are true fans of Apple, don't even know why they like it. It's just the "cool" brand to have, or "everyone said you gotta have an iPhone"...
True, but I also witness people saying the exact same thing about the gimmicks they witnessed during Samsung smartphone commercials. My middle son is one of them. He and his friends didn't bother to look past the first couple of weeks of having the device. They had to have the advertised feature. Well, after about 2 weeks, he wanted me to activate his old iPhone. He and his friends rarely used the gimmick feature that excited them via the commercial. The better spec'd device did not allow for a better user experience. To be fair, there are those who found the device to be to their liking, and I don't have a problem with that at all.
It doesn't do a single thing that the competition can't or doesn't do, but there is a long list of things that the competition can do that Apple can't. But most serious Apple fans don't even know that.
I disagree. I knew full well what I was buying when I bought it. I knew what the competition was offering, but I'm experienced enough to understand that having better doesn't equate to "being better" for me, and a good deal of Apple customers understand that. Apple's customer service is also a huge reason customers stick with their products and services.

You will find that the average Android fan, is far more up on not only what their team can do, but what the competition can do as well. They tend to be more educated on what is going on, rather than just bury their nose in their ecosystem and ignore the rest.
I do not disagree.

But I agree, there are people like that in everything I guess
I suppose
... But like I said, I never saw mile long lines of people camping out for days on end to buy any phone other than Apple. And it isn't like they can't buy the phone online or at a store the day after launch. Their mindset and willingness to do that suggests that it isn't about "being content" or a "happy customer"...
That is your own personal bias. It bothers "you" that they do that for a device that "you" find inferior in some respect. As stated above, people do the same for tickets and retail sales events. It's their prerogative. I wouldn't do it, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

This kind of frenzy goes way beyond that, I think... That's the behavior of a lifestyle brand.
No. That's the choice of excited customers, as well as publicity seekers, who want to be among the very first to have the latest products from a company they like.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My very first smartphone was a... Blackberry. I loved my Blackberry, I was on T-Mobile at the time and it was perfect. I upgraded my Blackberry with newer Blackberry, but it was always Blackberry.
But then I had to switch to Verizon.
Verizon did not carry Blackberry at the time.

So I ended up with... LG Voyager, then LG Envy Touch.
Don't get me wrong, for the type of phones they were, they were pretty fun, but they were no Blackberry.
Then Verizon finally got on board with Blackberry, I immediately got one and what a disappointment:
Verizon had effectively neutered their Blackberries.
The same device on Verizon couldn't do half of what it could do on T-Mobile.
So... Back to LG.

Eventually I couldn't take it anymore so I switched to ATT and got an iPhone 3GS.
I liked the phone, but I hated ATT more than I liked the phone so I sold it and went back to Verizon, back to... LG.

Finally Androids arrived at Verizon and I pounced on my first Motorola Droid.
I absolutely loved it.
But then on a hike I fell off a rock and broke the screen. I was determined to keep my Droid but it wasn't working well.
I had insurance, Verizon gave me a new refurbished one... Which was full of bugs, it was unusable.
Back to LG.
Then to Droid 2. That one was awful, I returned it within days and got a Droid Razr which was really cool until that software update.
My phone froze.
But then Verizon got iPhone 4 so I got one.
I liked it, it didn't have all the glitzy stuff of a Droid but it was sturdy and dependable.
Then I got a 4s.
Then I got a 5.
Then... IOS7 happened.
At that time I also had an iPad 4, both devices got completely crippled beyond recognition by IOS 7. I know other people didn't have that problem, but some did, I was one of them.
And I must say the CS I received back then was subpar to say the least:
I think the Apple people were probably being flooded with angry, panicky customers, and the stress must have been wearing them thin.

Anyway that was the last straw: I marched out of the store and went to... Samsung.
I got an S3. Nice but I wanted more phone so I switched to a Note 2 within days.
Then the phone started acting up but the Note 3 came out so I got it.
I adored my Note 3. I had also had a Note 10.1, but with my Note 3 I got a Note Pro.
Total bliss.
Man, those bells and whistles were cool.

Then... Samsung had the nerve to force the Kitkat update on my phone. And crippled it. I couldn't do anything other than make calls anymore, it was a disaster.
This time I got really pissed off and since I was off contract, I decided to get a Blackberry Q10 for free with a 2 year contract.
I really loved the Q10, btw, but I was done with Google and Android and BB ended their native Apps.
Then the calendar bug happened.
Then... My beloved Note Pro shattered on the bathroom tiles while I was trying to photograph a spider.

When I went to Samsung, they said it would take 6 to 8 weeks and $450 to get it fixed.
So I marched into the Apple Store and got an iPad Air.
And I was very pleasantly surprised.
Made do with my buggy Q10 until the iPhone 6 release.
Someone said "guppy, you have got to do the camp out, at least once in your life".

So, embracing my midlife crisis with both arms, I did the camp out and came out with the iPhone 6.

And while I have upgraded since then to the air 2 and the 6 Plus, it has been pretty much smooth sailing from there.
I had switched to Apple laptops early on (2009) because being so completely inept with technology, I figured it would save me a lot of headaches and that was a good decision.

So now, I'm on Apple ecosystem 100% and I couldn't be happier.
Whenever I get a glitch, I can ask here or go to the Genius Bar, there's a store minutes away from me.
I work outdoors, I'm often in the field in the backcountry, I take my phone and iPad, I never have any issues.

I keep on finding out new tips and tricks that make it even better to be on Apple.

It works for me.
Am I a fan girl? Possibly. Why shouldn't I be?
Apple works for me, it does everything I need and nothing I don't.
And for a screaming, hiccuping techtard like me, believe me:
This is pure nirvana.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Just for clarity, what kinds of gimmicks?

I think I have owned pretty much every brand of Android phone at some point. Some have been duds, think of the HTC Thunderbolt. Others were amazing. Custom ROMs open up a whole new experience, which you know.

Lately I have been impressed with Samsung devices, having had a GS5 and now the Note 4. Trying to think of gimmicks... I mean, there is the S Pen, but I tell you, it is one of the best stylus devices around, and the fact that it fits in the phone, rather than an external accessory, is nice. The screen, is the best I have ever seen. Breathtaking, much nicer than Retina. The IR Blaster, some say is a gimmick, but to be honest, it is nice to be at a sports bar and be able to change the TV near me to another channel with my phone... haha

The SD slot, I do like. It is great to be able to take up to 128GB with me wherever I go and use it as a portable HD for work files. A simple file system that works like every computer system in the world is nice.

To be honest, if Apple would make 2 or 3 simple changes, I would probably own an iPhone again...

1) Stop being stingy with the RAM on phones and tablets. An extra 1GB of RAM really helps smooth things out, and costs less than $1 on the open market when purchased in bulk. Having Safari tabs constantly reloading because the system doesn't have enough RAM on a "premium" device, is unacceptable.

2) Add a MicroSD slot. I don't want to have to spend $100 more for a slightly higher capacity phone, when for that price I can get a 4-pack of 64GB MicroSD cards and swap them around as needed. Better yet, let that MicroSD card be accessed in industry standard USB fashion, just drag and drop without iTunes

3) Allow me to choose my default apps. eg, Apple Maps sucks. There are often better apps than what comes included(No just Apple, all platforms). Go ahead and include them, but when I install an alternate app, do what Android does and ask me the first time I launch it if I want that to be the default app and let me, the adult user who paid top dollar for MY device, decide. Don't make me open a link in one app, then copy the link, then close the app, go find the other app, open it and paste it in there... That's retarded and sooooo 2007... haha I am a grown man, I can figure out if I want Apple Maps or Google Maps, etc...

The phones are well made, possibly the best made. They work well, although the reason I left Apple was I got tired of 10+ dropped calls per day depending on how I held the phone...

The OS is slick, intuitive, etc... But to me, it feels like it is geared towards my grandma. Simple, limited, don't let the end user think outside the box less they get lost. LOL

Also, for some reason, everyone I know with an iPhone has a busted screen. Why are they so fragile? Or is it because the phones are so nice, that they don't want to cover them up with cases, so they tend to be less protected?

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, it certainly makes sense, and you, like me, have had your share of issues with various platforms. I too hated ATT and the dropped calls, it was horrible, my iPhone friends still get 10x the dropped calls that I do.

And Verizon does cripple things... I love their network, hate their practices though... But I need reliability for work, so I use them.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh I loved the S-pen and I agree: Best stylus out there, bar none. At least for Samsung products.
And I do miss the ability to split the screen 2 ways (Note phone) or 4 ways (Note Pro).

I do not miss the widgets at all, they crowded my screen, I prefer the clean folders.
TouchWiz? Nooooooooo!!! That's why the updates were so wonky, I hear there were no such problems with Nexus phones.

I find Apple Maps far superior to Google Maps, now.
It wasn't always so:
When Apple Maps first came out, it was a disaster, they've worked on it.
I take a lot of road trips for work, and I can do a search on my ipad or phone, click on the address, it takes me to Apple maps right away with turn by turn directions, and it is now more accurate than Google maps.
Last month, Google maps sent me to a dead end, but Apple maps got me to my meeting.

I haven't had any dropped calls with iphone 6 and 6 plus, but I honestly cannot remember with the older iphones.

The RAM... Honestly it's not on my priority: I'm not a gamer and I only watch videos on my Air 2, rarely on my phone.

Geared toward grandma: YES! I'm not a grandma but I'll be 50 this summer and I am tech illeterate so Apple is perfect for me, lol.

Fragile: I don't know: I've busted Motorola and Samsung products but never an Apple product.

Maybe it's just about the way people use their devices, I don't know.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just for clarity, what kinds of gimmicks?

It was the wireless photo sharing feature; the one that Apple tried to mimic to a point with AirDrop. I call it a gimmick because that how "I" see it. I also see AirDrop in the same manner.

As for the changes you'd like to see in iOS, a good deal of people feel the same way. I think we'll see a bump in RAM, but I doubt we'll see an SD card option. As for not allowing non-native apps to be the default, I wouldn't either, if I were the company. Of course, I'd want the focus to be on my apps and services....:)....but that's just business. You know that. As for being geared towards grandma (laughing), I can see it that way to a point. I mean, it is simple to use for the most part, but that's a good thing. There are some folks out there that have no business being around anything electronic (laughing), but if they must have one, I prefer it be the simplest of the lot...:)

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Oh I loved the S-pen and I agree: Best stylus out there, bar none. At least for Samsung products.
And I do miss the ability to split the screen 2 ways (Note phone) or 4 ways (Note Pro).

I do not miss the widgets at all, they crowded my screen, I prefer the clean folders.
TouchWiz? Nooooooooo!!! That's why the updates were so wonky, I hear there were no such problems with Nexus phones.

I find Apple Maps far superior to Google Maps, now.
It wasn't always so:
When Apple Maps first came out, it was a disaster, they've worked on it.
I take a lot of road trips for work, and I can do a search on my ipad or phone, click on the address, it takes me to Apple maps right away with turn by turn directions, and it is now more accurate than Google maps.
Last month, Google maps sent me to a dead end, but Apple maps got me to my meeting.

I haven't had any dropped calls with iphone 6 and 6 plus, but I honestly cannot remember with the older iphones.

The RAM... Honestly it's not on my priority: I'm not a gamer and I only watch videos on my Air 2, rarely on my phone.

Geared toward grandma: YES! I'm not a grandma but I'll be 50 this summer and I am tech illeterate so Apple is perfect for me, lol.

Fragile: I don't know: I've busted Motorola and Samsung products but never an Apple product.

Maybe it's just about the way people use their devices, I don't know.

I talk to friends that get lost with Apple Maps still. Apple Maps can't find my house that has been here for almost 2 years now. Google Maps had it the day we closed and moved in. When we have people over and they call me and say that their GPS took them to the post office 3 miles away, every single time, it was an iPhone and Apple Maps. I tell them to use Google Maps and they get here every time. hehe

When I am on the phone and the call drops, at least 9 out of 10 times, they are on an iPhone. It's a running joke, that I can tell what phone you are on by how long it takes you to drop the call, regardless of whether I am on my Note 4, or a land line. :)

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It was the wireless photo sharing feature; the one that Apple tried to mimic to a point with AirDrop. I call it a gimmick because that how "I" see it. I also see AirDrop in the same manner.

As for the changes you'd like to see in iOS, a good deal of people feel the same way. I think we'll see a bump in RAM, but I doubt we'll see an SD card option. As for not allowing non-native apps to be the default, I wouldn't either, if I were the company. Of course, I'd want the focus to be on my apps and services....:)....but that's just business. You know that. As for being geared towards grandma (laughing), I can see it that way to a point. I mean, it is simple to use for the most part, but that's a good thing. There are some folks out there that have no business being around anything electronic (laughing), but if they must have one, I prefer it be the simplest of the lot...:)

Never used that, although it is nice to just share stuff by bumping phones. Also nice when you get a new phone, and you can just transfer everything over with that app. My Note 4 asked me if I was upgrading from another Android Device, and asked me if I wanted to just copy over all my files, settings and apps by placing the two phones next to each other... Kinda cool, not having to go home and plug in to iTunes and have it do all that...

I like the rapid charging. I get stupid long battery life as it is, but when it needs a charge, 15 minutes on the charger gives me 8 hours of usage. I am on conf calls and using my phone all day long, and I rarely see the battery even hit 50%... I can be on the phone for 6-8 hours typically, in addition to texting, words with friends and other stuff...

My mom and dad wanted new phones. I pointed her to the iPhone, and my dad that is more tech savvy, to the DroidHD I think it was... They both enjoy them...

Will be interesting to see how iOS evolves... Apple owned the smartphone market, but as an OS, it is now the little fish. Android has taken over everything, and you see Apple trying to follow by taking some of the things that people like most about Android. Hopefully that continues...

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I talk to friends that get lost with Apple Maps still. Apple Maps can't find my house that has been here for almost 2 years now. Google Maps had it the day we closed and moved in. When we have people over and they call me and say that their GPS took them to the post office 3 miles away, every single time, it was an iPhone and Apple Maps. I tell them to use Google Maps and they get here every time. hehe

When I am on the phone and the call drops, at least 9 out of 10 times, they are on an iPhone. It's a running joke, that I can tell what phone you are on by how long it takes you to drop the call, regardless of whether I am on my Note 4, or a land line. :)

Hmmm. I wonder if this has to do with your location?
I'm in California, but perhaps that's why mine works so well:
I'm minutes away from Cupertino, this is Apple country, lol.
Though I have used Apple maps all over the western third of the country with consistently better results than Google maps, although only in the past year or so: before that, I preferred Google maps.

Dropped calls, I never had to deal with from the time I got onto Verizon: On T-Mobile, that happened all the time, but on Verizon, regardless of what device I'm using, I don't get dropped calls. Though now that I think about it... The only time I do is when I talk to a friend who uses a Note 3, so I really don't know.

Another thing is voice quality: abysmally bad on ATT. With Verizon, it was ok on Android devices, no problems on iPhone.

So my guess is it's a combination of things, but for me, it would be silly to try anything else at this point, since it all works so well.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. I wonder if this has to do with your location?
I'm in California, but perhaps that's why mine works so well:
I'm minutes away from Cupertino, this is Apple country, lol.
Though I have used Apple maps all over the western third of the country with consistently better results than Google maps, although only in the past year or so: before that, I preferred Google maps.

Dropped calls, I never had to deal with from the time I got onto Verizon: On T-Mobile, that happened all the time, but on Verizon, regardless of what device I'm using, I don't get dropped calls. Though now that I think about it... The only time I do is when I talk to a friend who uses a Note 3, so I really don't know.

Another thing is voice quality: abysmally bad on ATT. With Verizon, it was ok on Android devices, no problems on iPhone.

So my guess is it's a combination of things, but for me, it would be silly to try anything else at this point, since it all works so well.

Are you using the HD Voice calling on Verizon? I enabled that, and the call quality is amazing.

Up till now, telephones, whether landlines or cell, have used a reduced frequency range... typically, the bass and the treble are eliminated, and you just get the mid-range, to put it into stereo/audio terms... The HD voice calling, with integrated video conferencing is great. Much more realistic voice, clearer, etc... Think old crappy $5 inner ear headphones, versus a set of nice Boss noise cancelling ones...

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you using the HD Voice calling on Verizon? I enabled that, and the call quality is amazing.

Up till now, telephones, whether landlines or cell, have used a reduced frequency range... typically, the bass and the treble are eliminated, and you just get the mid-range, to put it into stereo/audio terms... The HD voice calling, with integrated video conferencing is great. Much more realistic voice, clearer, etc... Think old crappy $5 inner ear headphones, versus a set of nice Boss noise cancelling ones...

I don't think I am... Is that something I enable from my Verizon account?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, when I upgraded to Lollipop they added that feature to the Note 4 and a couple other phones. Let me see if the iPhone 6 has it, and if so, how to enable it.

Looks like it does, information and instructions here:

How To Enable HD Voice on your iPhone 6 | Digital Trends

HD Voice on Verizon isn't available everywhere... if it is - the controls will be there in the phone - if not, controls won't be there until Verizon pushes a carrier settings file to users in the areas where it's available.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
HD Voice on Verizon isn't available everywhere... if it is - the controls will be there in the phone - if not, controls won't be there until Verizon pushes a carrier settings file to users in the areas where it's available.

Ahhh... Yeah, I guess you have to be in an area that supports VoLTE... And they changed the name from HD to Advanced...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Samsung tablets are glitzy and full of bells and whistles, but I find them unreliable and laggy.
I've had the Note 10.1 and the Note Pro 12.2 and once the novelty wore off, I had no need for the shiny baubles and the constant lag and poor battery life hampered my ability to work greatly.
So I may not be able to split the screen 4 ways on my Air 2 but that thing flies at Mach 2 whenever I need it to, there's no lag, ever, and if I need to be on it all day with no possibility of charging, that's not a problem either.
Also, I discovered that IOS has apps that can pretty much cover any of the bells and whistles that come standard on Samsung... And the apps work better.

If their using the same specs and same version of touchwiz as the s6. The new rumored Samsung Galaxy tab s2 which comes in the same size as the iPad mini and Air then it will be a breeze. I never found Samsung "laggy" personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
If their using the same specs and same version of touchwiz as the s6. The new rumored Samsung Galaxy tab s2 which comes in the same size as the iPad mini and Air then it will be a breeze. I never found Samsung "laggy" personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have never seen that much lag in something unless there was a bug or something, which has happened from time to time.

For the most part, the phones have so much muscle and memory that they run amazing, even with whatever overlay they put on top of Android. And if one is laggy, there are a ton of free launchers you can just install and it completely revamps the entire UI... animations, icons, layout, fonts, all sorts of stuff.

My soon to be daughter in law needed her phone replaced and didn't have the money, so rather than buy one for her, I gave her my Note 4 and picked up a Droid Turbo. Little smaller screen, but literally double the battery life, water repellent, and if the screen cracks, Moto will send you one free replacement under warranty, even if I drop it and cause the crack.

Motorola used to have a UI they clled Blur. Now, they are almost a straight Google Experience, with some nice features added under the hood.

Battery life is amazing... Used the phone a ton yesterday and it was at 80% when I went to bed... I mean seriously long battery life.

And the ballistic nylon and anodized buttons make this thing look pretty damned cool.

The lag in Android, is typically when you have a ton of real time data widgets all on the screen at once and updating, and by lag, it is like a fraction of a second swiping between pages or opening the app drawer or something...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73