What is the basic difference between an iPad and Samsung pad?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Basic difference between Ipad and Samsung pad

So... Squire joined in 2013 but has only 19 posts.
Sparks joined in 2009 but only has 1 post and it happens to jump in out of nowhere to agree with Squire.
LOL.
How cute.
I wonder how many accounts he has to reply to himself?
He's obviously an Android fan here for the sole purpose to bash Apple in every way he can.
It reminds me of those bored teenagers in 90s chat rooms.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site

Sparks joined in 2009 but only has 1 post and it happens to jump in out of nowhere to agree with Squire.
LOL.
How cute.
He's obviously an Android fan here for the sole purpose to bash Apple in every way he can.

Huh? I stated I am an Apple newby, having just purchased an iPad Air 2. I have indeed been very active o the Android forum side - almost 800 posts with 161 thanks. I did not bash Apple at all - in fact I said I was impressed with it. As for being a bored teenager - I'm a retired S/W engineer with 44 years experience.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site

To get back to the original discussion ... Before I bought my iPad Air 2 I considered getting a Samsung tablet. I was primarily replacing my Asus TF700T tablet - though possessing a gorgeous screen, expandable SD card slot, clamshell keyboard case, and sturdy build the tablet had horrendous lag, even after I loaded a custom ROM. Browsing the Internet was painfully sluggish and buggy and the tablet would crash on occasion. What I really wanted was a full-size tablet that was fast and reliable and I decided that the Android "extras" that make a device more like a PC environment (e.g., simple file browsing, USB connections, etc) were less important to me than before. Widgets and screen customization are nice but not necessities and the different screen scale was intriguing. So I decided to take the Apple leap after years of Android use on a wide range of devices and got the Air 2. Must admit that I am having growing pains adjusting to the different ecosystem and I did pay a heftier price for the iPad over what a Samsung tablet would cost but so far I really like the Air 2. But if you really like to fiddle and customize, go with the Samsung because Android is pretty wide open.

ps My wife still has a Galaxy Tab 10.1 that she likes and uses.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Aww crappity crapola crap, so you are not a troll... My apologies, then. Sorry about that. :redface:

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
LOL.
How cute.

Ummm... I have been a member awhile ago because I used to use iPhones back in the day, before switching to Android. Had a few of them. Might have also been back when I was building a Hackintosh...

I am an android fanboi, I make no bones about it. For a phone, for power users, it is a much more advanced platform. iOS is still 2 years behind the curve.

That said, I use windows because I game a lot and that is the best platform for games.

I have a laptop running Linux because I like using Linux and learning that.

And now I have an airpad 2.

If anything, I am far less of a fanboi than most, as I use and enjoy just about every platform, I dont just pick a team and ignore the rest. They all have pros and con's.

As for having other accounts, not sure what you are talking about... Makes you sound like that smarmy apple hipster in all the Samsung commercials. Haha

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ummm... I have been a member awhile ago because I used to use iPhones back in the day, before switching to Android. Had a few of them. Might have also been back when I was building a Hackintosh...

I am an android fanboi, I make no bones about it. For a phone, for power users, it is a much more advanced platform. iOS is still 2 years behind the curve.

That said, I use windows because I game a lot and that is the best platform for games.

I have a laptop running Linux because I like using Linux and learning that.

And now I have an airpad 2.

If anything, I am far less of a fanboi than most, as I use and enjoy just about every platform, I dont just pick a team and ignore the rest. They all have pros and con's.

As for having other accounts, not sure what you are talking about... Makes you sound like that smarmy apple hipster in all the Samsung commercials. Haha

Hmmm... You don't quite get the definition of smarmy, do you? LOL

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Quite the contrary. But nice avoidence of the entire post I made and settle on the one item you felt you might have a chance of scoring a point on. Well played, sir.

I've got to hand it to you: your trolling is quite effective. But could you at least be a funny troll? It would be so much more entertaining.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I've got to hand it to you: your trolling is quite effective. But could you at least be a funny troll? It would be so much more entertaining.

Well, I have been active on many forums since 1996. Earlier if you count bbs's running wildcat and things like that in the late 80's.

One thing that never changes are folks like you. You are the true fanbois, because your brand is more about the image and lifestyle. Posersz essentially. Which is why you get your nose out of joint and the slightest criticism of your brand. That's the downside of having your ego tied to a brand name.

I use all brands and I enjoy them all. I can tell you the honest pros and con's of all of them. I dont just cheerleaf for my team.

The irony is that the first on to start yelling troll, is typically the troll. She who smelt it... ;-)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright, jabs have been thrown so let's end it and get back to the thread topic. Thanks.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Alright, jabs have been thrown so let's end it and get back to the thread topic. Thanks.

Party pooper. :biggrin:

Okay then.
For me the biggest difference between the two is simple: Headache vs no headache.
... You wouldn't like me with a headache. :rotfl:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The difference in my personal opinion is preference, familiarity, ecosystem and product support. Relatives purchased a few Samsung tablets for my sons and they were rarely used after about a month. They opted for the iPad instead. Personally, I can work with any product I have, and I've used various brands throughout the years. The only "brand" I was ever loyal to was Blackberry. As of the past few years, Apple products and services have worked best for "me". I'm content with what I have. As a company, whether Apple or Samsung, it is always an objective to have customers so pleased to where they wouldn't want to use any other brand. To the OP, the basic difference is user interface, in my opinion....:)

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Since I just bought an Air 2 ... Price may be another consideration. Does the OP think he'll need a lot of on-board memory? If so, a 128GB SD card for the Samsung is cheaper than getting a 128GB Air 2 configuration. Does he want GPS? If so, on the Air 2 he will need to go for the LTE model as the WiFi-only model does not have GPS.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Since I just bought an Air 2 ... Price may be another consideration. Does the OP think he'll need a lot of on-board memory? If so, a 128GB SD card for the Samsung is cheaper than getting a 128GB Air 2 configuration. Does he want GPS? If so, on the Air 2 he will need to go for the LTE model as the WiFi-only model does not have GPS.

Wait, what? No gps? Sigh... Lol. Did not know that... Grrrr.... Never had a tablet or smartphone that gps wasn't standard... Oh well..

Still a great tablet. Had to return the mini 2 retina... Little laggy, especially when browsing the web, tabs constantly reloading... The air 2 is much better.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Wait, what? No gps? Sigh... Lol. Did not know that... Grrrr.... Never had a tablet or smartphone that gps wasn't standard... Oh well..

Still a great tablet. Had to return the mini 2 retina... Little laggy, especially when browsing the web, tabs constantly reloading... The air 2 is much better.

Yeah, the GPS thing was a surprise I stumbled across when reading up before my purchase. I didn't really want the LTE but I did want the GPS - another $130. And if you are changing ecosystems, there is the additional cost of new cables and possibility of repurchasing apps due to platform change. Apple wanted $29.95 for 3 ft lightning cables but Amazon brand is less than $9.00 for a 6 ft cable. Starts to add up ...

Having said that, I am really happy with the Air 2 so far.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site

Have you used other tablets? I ask seriously, not to be a jerk or anything, because I have found over the years that the majority of Apple fans tend to just use Apple products and don't know all that much about other platforms...

Actually that's quite a true statement, most hardcore Apple users don't care or want to know about other tablets...

Personally i'm not bothered about tablets because i love my Alienware laptop beast. I have managed to get a discount of 50% on a tablet so i thought i would get one..

So i had a browse around the shops, the main ones they had were the Samsung and the iPad. At first looking at the Samsung i was quite impressed with the screen, played around with it. Then i played with the iPad. As nice as the Samsung screen is it just didn't have the smoothness, response or the fluidness when swiping or scrolling with the iPad. This was an Air 2 so i can't comment on other iPad screens or can i comment on other makes of tablets, however the other tablets would want to be very good to compete with it. Also i like the feel and build of the Air 2 so i decided without doubt to go for it.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Actually that's quite a true statement, most hardcore Apple users don't care or want to know about other tablets...

Personally i'm not bothered about tablets because i love my Alienware laptop beast. I have managed to get a discount of 50% on a tablet so i thought i would get one..

So i had a browse around the shops, the main ones they had were the Samsung and the iPad. At first looking at the Samsung i was quite impressed with the screen, played around with it. Then i played with the iPad. As nice as the Samsung screen is it just didn't have the smoothness, response or the fluidness when swiping or scrolling with the iPad. This was an Air 2 so i can't comment on other iPad screens or can i comment on other makes of tablets, however the other tablets would want to be very good to compete with it. Also i like the feel and build of the Air 2 so i decided without doubt to go for it.

As a tablet, the iPad I think is without peer from a hardware perspective... By that I mean the build quality, the materials, the way it is put together, the screen quality, etc... The flagship Android tabs are nice, and many of them have more power and better features, but I haven't seen one that is put together as well as the iPad.

My biggest gripe with Apple, is the OS. The tablet is "smoother", because there is very little going on... There are no widgets, there is no real time data or true multitasking going on, etc.. It is Windows 3.11 versus Windows 7, as far as a UI goes. It got a little better when Apple copied Android's notification system, but the desktop environment is still a very rudimentary and static environment. So it better be smooth, as it is just sitting there doing pretty much nothing.

The lack of customization annoys me. Why, in 2015, can we still not arrange icons the way we want? You can move them to different screens, or make some folders, but again, like Windows 3.11, that's it. I have Microsoft "Outlook Web App" installed to access my work email. The icon simply says "OWA". Why the hell can't I rename that icon to "Outlook" or something like that?

These are not crazy and off the wall things here... Wanting to arrange your icons a certain way, like maybe around the border, so that the pic of your kid that is your wallpaper isn't so obscured.

It's a lit of little things like that, I think, that take away from the device. Overall I still like it... I returned my laggy Mini 2 Ret and spent more money on not only an iPad Air 2 64GB, but I picked up a second one as well... So I am not "Bashing Apple"...

But I think it is important to point out the flaws and where the competition is better, as that helps companies be better. If everyone just ignores the warts on the product and silently throws down their $500 cash every 12 months when Apple releases a barely updated version of what you already own... then there is little incentive for them to improve their products. They will do the bare minimum to get your continued business.

That's the problem I have with true fanboys or lifestyle brands, be it Apple, or Harley Davidson...

I am a huge Android fan, and yet I have an iPad, and I use Linux and Windows, and I have even installed OSX to my gaming PC. I don't have this blind loyalty to any brand, and I have never camped out in line to get a stupid phone.

Apple has listened in some areas, hence their borrowing certain features from Android, including larger screens and finally getting HD screens on the iPhone 6. 2-3 years late to the party, but better late than never, right? And the result? Increased sales and a slight bump in marketshare.

So they do listen, eventually, but only when enough people make some noise... Sitting there silently worshiping at the alter of Apple, doesn't push innovation.

I did a long write up of my iPad Mini Ret, posted in that section of this forum. I gave the good and bad of both, and said that while Android dominates the phone market, the tablet market is not as caught up and is not as polished, etc...

So while I have a team, I guess, I don't just cheer lead for them without question. I have had plenty of issues with Android products over the years, just as I had plenty of issues with iPhones over the years, which was why I finally pulled the plug and left Apple in the first place...

Only through competition and questioning the status quo, do companies and their products get better.

The iPad is a fantastic product, despite its limitations... But iOS is clearly holding it back, because this tablet could be so much more...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73