What is the basic difference between an iPad and Samsung pad?

Shariful alam

Banned
Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Basic difference between Ipad and Samsung pad

I am going to buy a tab for my official purpose only in journey. I am confused to buy tab while I am not sure what is best for me, Apple Ipad or Samsung Ipad. Tell me considering price and function.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Basic difference between Ipad and Samsung pad

It all depends on your needs. I personally would go with an iPad, but your needs may be different tan mine. Be sure to read through the links kch posted. :)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I've had the iPad Air , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition , Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5, Nexus 7 2013 and the iPad Air 2.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 imo has the best screen out of all of the tablets I've owned and by a big margin but that's because I love AMOLED screens but doesn't mean the iPad has a bad screen either I love it as well but I just have a preference of AMOLED.

I find the Samsung tablet is way better for media consumption since it has the better screen in my opinion. Also it has better screen for using apps like word processing and etc since it has a 16:10 aspect ratio vs 4:3 and that widescreen for me is better suited for that imo. If your looking for more media consumption purely like Netflix or Hulu only and little to no games or if your looking for one to do office stuff I would go with Samsung Galaxy pro ( I would wait till after MWC to see if they refresh that lineup since its been a year now ) or Tab S.

Now personally I love my iPad more the Samsung Tablets because of a few things I find tablet apps that I want to be more fluid which are games. I played xcom on my note 4 , the 2 Samsung tablets and my iPad and it's fluid on my phone and iPad but not the 2 Samsung tablets which was Laggy. I find iPads to be more kid friendly with their apps imo. There is a nick jr app that I have on my iPad but not for my android phone though it could just be a tablet app thus I can't find it on my phone. The app has a lot of shows to stream if you have tv provider to log in with ( you get some without but it's a few episodes ). I also find the 4:3 aspect ratio way better to read magazines or reading books and websites. I also find better battery life with iPads then Samsung tablets and by a far margin. I get at most 4 hours of screen time with the Samsung tablets but even with me playing a movie , some games and browsing the web I can get 6-7 hours of usage on my iPad with it being on the whole time. I typically get around 10-12 hours of usage when I'm not taxing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I've owned quite a few tablets:

Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1
Nexus 7 (2012)
ipad mini 1
Asus memo pad 7.0
Nexus 7 (2013)
ipad Air 1
Samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1
ipad mini 3
ipad mini 2
ipad Air 2

Overall I've found the Samsung tablets to be better for media consumption e.g watching videos. They have 16:9 aspect ratios and 10.1 inch screens. Their displays have also been top notch so for watching videos they are excellent. The best viewing experience I've ever had on a tablet. They are also good for reading comics due to their displays. However this is pretty much all I've found them useful for.

Web browsing, gaming, reading magazines, doing any type of productive work is all better on the iPad imo because of the 4:3 aspect ratio. Another thing that I find better with the iPad is that it's comfortable to use in both landscape and portrait mode, whereas Samsung tablets (10.1) are not that comfortable to use in portrait mode. They feel awkward which is again due to the aspect ratio.

Another thing which is better on an iPad is the apps. There are a lot more tablet specific apps available for the iPad. In contrast, apart from a select few, the majority of apps you will use on a Samsung/android tablet are blown up phone apps. On smaller android tablets this isn't too much of a problem but on the larger tablets it often looks messy and stretched out.

The iPad also handles games better than any of the samsung or nexus tablets I've used.

The iPad also has better battery life by far than any android tablet I've used.

The android tablets ranged from 4-7 hours of onscreen time and most drained quite badly in standby. So depending on how I used them I'd have to charge them at least every other day, sometimes even everyday.

All of my iPads got at least 10 hours of onscreen time. The iPad airs got up to 15 hours. They all also performed excellently in standby. Often not dropping any battery at all, and if anything it would be 1 or 2 % over a period of several days.

You can also take into account factors like build quality if that sort of thing interests you and onboard storage vs expandable storage. ipads have better build quality and don't tend to heat up so much with intensive usage whereas most the android tablets I've used were inferior in their build and heated up quite a lot.

iPads offer more internal storage (16gb-128gb) but the storage cannot be expanded. Most android tablets come with 16GB or 32GB internal storage and with some you can expand the memory with micro SD cards or usb on the go cables.

I think that just about covers everything lol

So in short I think it depends on what you want to do with your device. If you want a more all round tablet then perhaps and iPad is the way to go. If you are going to use it mainly for watching videos then I think a Samsung tablet is a better pick.

You might also consider the operating system (iOS vs Android) and if you have any preferences and also which phone you have.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

It's all personal taste. I believe the Apple is the better tablet value in my own opinion.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I've owned quite a few tablets:

Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1
Nexus 7 (2012)
ipad mini 1
Asus memo pad 7.0
Nexus 7 (2013)
ipad Air 1
Samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1
ipad mini 3
ipad mini 2
ipad Air 2

Overall I've found the Samsung tablets to be better for media consumption e.g watching videos. They have 16:9 aspect ratios and 10.1 inch screens. Their displays have also been top notch so for watching videos they are excellent. The best viewing experience I've ever had on a tablet. They are also good for reading comics due to their displays. However this is pretty much all I've found them useful for.

Web browsing, gaming, reading magazines, doing any type of productive work is all better on the iPad imo because of the 4:3 aspect ratio. Another thing that I find better with the iPad is that it's comfortable to use in both landscape and portrait mode, whereas Samsung tablets (10.1) are not that comfortable to use in portrait mode. They feel awkward which is again due to the aspect ratio.

Another thing which is better on an iPad is the apps. There are a lot more tablet specific apps available for the iPad. In contrast, apart from a select few, the majority of apps you will use on a Samsung/android tablet are blown up phone apps. On smaller android tablets this isn't too much of a problem but on the larger tablets it often looks messy and stretched out.

The iPad also handles games better than any of the samsung or nexus tablets I've used.

The iPad also has better battery life by far than any android tablet I've used.

The android tablets ranged from 4-7 hours of onscreen time and most drained quite badly in standby. So depending on how I used them I'd have to charge them at least every other day, sometimes even everyday.

All of my iPads got at least 10 hours of onscreen time. The iPad airs got up to 15 hours. They all also performed excellently in standby. Often not dropping any battery at all, and if anything it would be 1 or 2 % over a period of several days.

You can also take into account factors like build quality if that sort of thing interests you and onboard storage vs expandable storage. ipads have better build quality and don't tend to heat up so much with intensive usage whereas most the android tablets I've used were inferior in their build and heated up quite a lot.

iPads offer more internal storage (16gb-128gb) but the storage cannot be expanded. Most android tablets come with 16GB or 32GB internal storage and with some you can expand the memory with micro SD cards or usb on the go cables.

I think that just about covers everything lol

So in short I think it depends on what you want to do with your device. If you want a more all round tablet then perhaps and iPad is the way to go. If you are going to use it mainly for watching videos then I think a Samsung tablet is a better pick.

You might also consider the operating system (iOS vs Android) and if you have any preferences and also which phone you have.

I find productivity better on the 16:9 aspect ratio imo actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jianrong

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

Battery life.

Had samsung s tab 10.5. It battery life lose out alot to ipad 3.

:)

relic74

May 31, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on your intended usage. I actually have both a Nexus 9 and iPad Air II and enjoy them both.

I use my Nexus 9 for work as it has features that I need for work related tasks like; full multitasking (running apps in the background), as I use a terminal app to login into remote servers I can't have the OS terminating my connections simple because I switched apps, I'm able to choose my own default apps, which I really need as I use MS Outlook instead of Apple Mail, Skype instead of FaceTime, BBM instead Apple Messenger, etc. Apps have better communication with each other, for example when I install a cloud service like OneDrive it will show up under every app that supports saving to cloud services. In iOS, the Share function is only populated by apps that have been preprogrammed in by it's developers, so OneDrive, even though an app can support it, won't show it as it's not part of the apps programming. Well I need OneDrive to show up everywhere and not just a select apps that support it. The same thing with MS Outlook, when I want to send a file via email, the Share function only lists Apple Mail as an option, no MS Outlook. I can connect my Nexus 9 to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use it like a desktop computer. Since I can also change the DPI of the monitor, icons and text look a lot better, more inline of a traditional desktop UI. The iPad doesn't support Miracast which is how I connect my devices to my monitor, even if I use an AirPlay device to view the desktop on the monitor, I can't change the DPI so everything looks huge and their are black bars on either side of the display, also no mouse support in iOS. There are many more things like this that prevent me from using the iPad 100% of the time. I'm sure Apple will add them eventually, I just couldn't wait.

The iPad is a really nice tablet for leisure, reading books, watching movies(a 16:9 tablet would probably be better for this though), play games, post in forums like this, etc. Actually the more I think about it, I don't use my iPad as much anymore after I got the Nexus 9. Though I still do play a lot of games on the iPad as it's still the best device around for such things.

I guess it all comes down to persona taste, if I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the Nexus 9. Android 5 (Lollipop) is a really good OS now, a lot better than previous Android iteration's. iOS is also very nice but like I said above it's missing a lot of features that I actually really need, if it had them I would probably be using the iPad a whole lot more than I do.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I am going to buy a tab for my official purpose only in journey. I am confused to buy tab while I am not sure what is best for me, Apple Ipad or Samsung Ipad. Tell me considering price and function.

IMO, the biggest differences are Size/form factor and ecosystem. From where I sit, more and better apps for the iPad.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

IMO, the biggest differences are Size/form factor and ecosystem. From where I sit, more and better apps for the iPad.

Have to agree,better apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Samsung tablets are glitzy and full of bells and whistles, but I find them unreliable and laggy.
I've had the Note 10.1 and the Note Pro 12.2 and once the novelty wore off, I had no need for the shiny baubles and the constant lag and poor battery life hampered my ability to work greatly.
So I may not be able to split the screen 4 ways on my Air 2 but that thing flies at Mach 2 whenever I need it to, there's no lag, ever, and if I need to be on it all day with no possibility of charging, that's not a problem either.
Also, I discovered that IOS has apps that can pretty much cover any of the bells and whistles that come standard on Samsung... And the apps work better.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Like everyone else says, it is all in what you want.

If you want a premium, solid, elegant tablet for general media consumption, get the iPad.

If you are a power user and likes to tinker, you want more power, a better screen, watch more movies and like expandable storage, being able to plug in your computer's 3TB USB Hard drive and access all of your media files on the tablet without having to go through iTunes and hope that it "allows" you to copy over what you want, have HDMI ports, an OS that actually multitasks, etc... You go Android.

If you want to game, and I mean real game, not the crappy kids games that the itunes store is full of, get an NVidia Shield tablet. Blows other tablets out of the water, and as Steam adds more "PC" games to that platform, you are now actually able to play Half Life 2 and real PC games on that tablet, and it actually runs them well. The next version that should be announced soon, will finally offer you full desktop power and gaming graphics on a tablet form factor...

I like my iPad 2 Air, but that is because I have a Note 4 for my phone use and Windows gaming PC's and Linux laptops here for my other computing needs.

If I needed a tablet to handle some of that load, I would have a Shield Tablet or an MS Surface 3.

I just use the iPad for web browsing, shopping, reading, email, etc... And for that, it is great... but to be fair, any tablet can do that.

I am an Android fanboy, but I decided to go back to Apple this round for my tablet needs and while it is limited compared to Android, it does what I need and it does it very well.

I won't leave Android for an iPhone... Would be too much of a downgrade... iOS for a modern smartphone is horribly antiquated and limited... Other than being larger and prettier overall, it isn't much different than it was when I had the iPhone, iPhone 3G, etc...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Have to agree,better apps.

Meh... Both platforms have a million or so apps. The average person uses 20 apps. So I think that both are covered.

And for every app you use, there is the same or equivalent on the other platform...

Apps used to be a concern like 5 years ago... not any more.

Android is the most installed OS in the world. Not just for phones or tablets. For all OS's in the world, which includes the desktop and server market... Android is on 1 out of every two computing devices in the world, and growing. So apps, should never be a problem...

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Meh... Both platforms have a million or so apps. The average person uses 20 apps. So I think that both are covered.

And for every app you use, there is the same or equivalent on the other platform...

Apps used to be a concern like 5 years ago... not any more.

Android is the most installed OS in the world. Not just for phones or tablets. For all OS's in the world, which includes the desktop and server market... Android is on 1 out of every two computing devices in the world, and growing. So apps, should never be a problem...

Cool, enjoy.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, there is no better tablet on the market than an iPad. Sure, you can purchase cheaper devices, but you get what you pay for. . . . Enough said.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Cheaper? The comparable Samsung tablets are the same price, and some of the Surface 3 tablets cost twice as much as the iPad. So you get what you pay for, might not apply in this case the way you think it does...

Have you used other tablets? I ask seriously, not to be a jerk or anything, because I have found over the years that the majority of Apple fans tend to just use Apple products and don't know all that much about other platforms...

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site

Like everyone else says, it is all in what you want.

If you want a premium, solid, elegant tablet for general media consumption, get the iPad.

If you are a power user and likes to tinker, you want more power, a better screen, watch more movies and like expandable storage, being able to plug in your computer's 3TB USB Hard drive and access all of your media files on the tablet without having to go through iTunes and hope that it "allows" you to copy over what you want, have HDMI ports, an OS that actually multitasks, etc... You go Android.

If you want to game, and I mean real game, not the crappy kids games that the itunes store is full of, get an NVidia Shield tablet. Blows other tablets out of the water, and as Steam adds more "PC" games to that platform, you are now actually able to play Half Life 2 and real PC games on that tablet, and it actually runs them well. The next version that should be announced soon, will finally offer you full desktop power and gaming graphics on a tablet form factor...

I like my iPad 2 Air, but that is because I have a Note 4 for my phone use and Windows gaming PC's and Linux laptops here for my other computing needs.

If I needed a tablet to handle some of that load, I would have a Shield Tablet or an MS Surface 3.

I just use the iPad for web browsing, shopping, reading, email, etc... And for that, it is great... but to be fair, any tablet can do that.

I am an Android fanboy, but I decided to go back to Apple this round for my tablet needs and while it is limited compared to Android, it does what I need and it does it very well.

I won't leave Android for an iPhone... Would be too much of a downgrade... iOS for a modern smartphone is horribly antiquated and limited... Other than being larger and prettier overall, it isn't much different than it was when I had the iPhone, iPhone 3G, etc...

I agree with SquireSCA. Newby here to the iPad forum - been over on the Android forums for years. I currently have a Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Asus TF700T, Galaxy Note 4 phone, Motorola Xoom, Amazon Fire, and now a new 128GB LTE Air 2 (my first owned Apple product). I'm a retired S/W engineer so I like to tinker/play with devices, including using custom ROMs. I decided to get an Air 2 as I wanted to try the Apple ecosystem out. I am impressed with its refined finish and I find the Air 2 to be a really nice device for general purpose media consumption, email, and web browsing. But it is one very tightl controlled ecosystem and that tinkering I can do with Android is not possible with my iPad. But I don't want to - I want a dependable, stable device that runs without lag and it certainly does all of that. As for app availability - never had a problem on Android where I used a wide gammut and have over 200 apps installed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods