To Buy iPad Air 2 or Not to Buy?...

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So here's the situation:

I currently have a 3rd generation iPad that works fine. I only really have two issues with it: it's starting to get slow and lag and also the weight.

I moderately use my iPad for work, some light html/ css/ javascript coding, gaming, and general browsing.

Now I can get 15% off a new iPad Air 2 through a friend. I'm leaning towards just waiting till the new one comes and forgetting the 15% but I can't always wait for the latest and greatest otherwise I would be waiting forever.

Thanks ahead for the insights!

Optid

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely recommend it. I had the iPad 4 and decided to pull the trigger. I am definitely glad I did. My older iPad was getting so heavy and I definitely started to notice lag. It really irritated me because the damn thing was not even two years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there definitely is a lag whenever I start to type fast or if I rotate my screen "fast". How is the screen? I've heard that it's a huge improvement over the older models. I've seen and kind of played with one at the stores but it's a bit different when you have it at home, I think.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The screen is beautiful like Karen said. It is a laminated display now, so it looks as if the pixels are right on the surface and not under the glass. It is also 56% less reflective, which helps when looking at it in direct light.

It would be a good idea to upgrade from the iPad 3 IMO. I upgraded from last year's iPad Mini 2, and the speed difference is noticeable. 2 GB of RAM makes the Air 2 leaps ahead of any previous iPad. Tabs stay open longer, apps continue to run in the background without refreshing or closing, and keeps everything running smoothly overall.

The Air 2 is fantastic, I would recommend it without hesitation! :)

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm probably going to get the silver iPad 64gb. I'm also curious on what everyone mainly uses their iPad for?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I was happy with the Air 1, but my husband decided to have my Air 1 and let me upgrade to Air 2.
I must say I'm speechless because yes, it's better.
I love the speed, the display, the Touch ID, Apple pay, I just freaking love it all.
OMG I'm turning into such an Apple freak, considering my history, it's downright shocking, lol.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was happy with the Air 1, but my husband decided to have my Air 1 and let me upgrade to Air 2.
I love the speed, the display, the Touch ID, Apple pay, I just freaking love it all.
OMG I'm turning into such an Apple freak, considering my history, it's downright shocking, lol.

One word....YES. Smile

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

Does apple pay work with the cellular iPads or only for online purchases?

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Finally picked it up 64gb white wifi! It's a lot faster than my older iPad 3, screen is great, and the size is perfect. This is probably the best size for a tablet. I've thought about if they make a larger 12"+ iPad it would be too heavy and a bit too big (though I do have a 6 plus and love the large screen on it).

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Going to address a few points in this thread because I also upgraded from the 3rd gen iPad to the iPad Air 2. I know OP already upgraded, but other people in the same situation might read this in the future.

This iPad is WAY faster than the third gen. Not so much in loading things, but there's just no lag or stutter whatsoever. I use Hangouts a lot and it would sometimes take around 10 seconds from opening the app (running in the background) to actually being able to type my message to the person I'm trying to send it to. There was so much keyboard lag as well. This has none.

The weight isn't a major deal IMO. When I first got it, I was blown away by how much thinner and lighter it was. But the more I use it, the heavier it feels and it doesn't feel like such a huge change anymore. It could be just me, though I'm sure if I picked up a 3rd gen iPad now, it would feel ridiculously heavy.

The extra GB of RAM alone is a major reason to upgrade. I don't think I've ever had a tab in Safari reload on this tablet. Sometimes having just two tabs on the 3rd gen iPad would make the background tab reload when you went back to it.

The screen is awesome, but really just because of the anti-reflective coating, IMO. I don't care so much that it's laminated, other than making it a little thinner. It doesn't look any better or worse to me. But having the anti-reflective coating means I don't need the brightness so high, which saves battery life. It's also nice not seeing yourself and everything behind you while using it.

Also, a white front looks so much nicer than black with iOS 7+. :)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah so not even with the cellular iPad then? That is a shame.

Do you really want to wave your iPad on those pads ....I have had android phones and have yet to use google wallet or softcard and they had one of those options out for a few years already .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Going to address a few points in this thread because I also upgraded from the 3rd gen iPad to the iPad Air 2. I know OP already upgraded, but other people in the same situation might read this in the future.

This iPad is WAY faster than the third gen. Not so much in loading things, but there's just no lag or stutter whatsoever. I use Hangouts a lot and it would sometimes take around 10 seconds from opening the app (running in the background) to actually being able to type my message to the person I'm trying to send it to. There was so much keyboard lag as well. This has none.

The weight isn't a major deal IMO. When I first got it, I was blown away by how much thinner and lighter it was. But the more I use it, the heavier it feels and it doesn't feel like such a huge change anymore. It could be just me, though I'm sure if I picked up a 3rd gen iPad now, it would feel ridiculously heavy.

The extra GB of RAM alone is a major reason to upgrade. I don't think I've ever had a tab in Safari reload on this tablet. Sometimes having just two tabs on the 3rd gen iPad would make the background tab reload when you went back to it.

The screen is awesome, but really just because of the anti-reflective coating, IMO. I don't care so much that it's laminated, other than making it a little thinner. It doesn't look any better or worse to me. But having the anti-reflective coating means I don't need the brightness so high, which saves battery life. It's also nice not seeing yourself and everything behind you while using it.

Also, a white front looks so much nicer than black with iOS 7+. :)

I totally agree on all points.

Everything is just so much better. I actually had the opposite reaction to the weight when I first got it. I thought there wasn't too much of a difference but as I use it more it feels lighter and much easier to carry meeting to meeting.

Great thing is, is that developers are only scratching the surface of the power. Can't wait for what they come up with for the future.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
About the screen: I added an anti glare screen protector to my iPad Air 2 and today, I have been on my iPad almost all day, outside, in the sun.
And... It was perfect.
Crisp, clear, no eye strain, just freaking perfect.
And zero typos. :heart:

Jsince80

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I came from iPad 2 and it was working fine, but when I got this iPad Air 2 for Xmas I realized the upgrade was overdue. This thing is amazing all around the board

Luckygarden

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
So here's the situation:

I currently have a 3rd generation iPad that works fine. I only really have two issues with it: it's starting to get slow and lag and also the weight.

I moderately use my iPad for work, some light html/ css/ javascript coding, gaming, and general browsing.

Now I can get 15% off a new iPad Air 2 through a friend. I'm leaning towards just waiting till the new one comes and forgetting the 15% but I can't always wait for the latest and greatest otherwise I would be waiting forever.

Thanks ahead for the insights!

for work , you should go and wait for iPad Pro 12.2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73