Why am I getting an error message on my Brand new iPad Air 2 - 'Unable to complete touch ID setup'?

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Brand new iPad Air 2 - 'Unable to complete touch ID setup'

Just got a brand new iPad Air 64gb cellular model, and when I try to set up touch id, I get the following error:

'Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again.'

I've already tried resetting the iPad and starting over, but still getting same error. From doing a Google search, I got TONS of hits talking about how it didn't work for some on iOS 8.0.1, but this model is running 8.1, and there are no new updates to download.

EDIT: Called Apple support - they recommended to restore from iTunes, and then return/exchange it if that didn't work. I tried the iTunes restore several times, but it just errored out about halfway through and said it couldn't restore. So back to the store this iPad went. Waiting on my replacement to be sent in the mail.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Brand new iPad Air 2 - 'Unable to complete touch ID setup'

If it were "me", I'd already be en route to the nearest Apple Store....:)....It is quite possible that you have a "defective" iPad, but I can't state for certain, but being that you "just got a brand new iPad Air", it's worth the trip to the Apple Store to either have them fix it or have them exchange it for another new one that actually works. If you don't want to go that route, then you can try restoring your device and setting it up as new via iTunes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal