iPad Air 2 vibration?

iPad Air 2 vibration?

• Total voters

gadgetman#CB

Oct 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, I've had my iPad Air 2 since last Thursday, like many others, I'm experiencing significant vibration coming from the speakers when the audio being played has lots of bass. This vibrates the whole iPad. This occurs even at low volume levels. I've had just about every iPad since the OG iPad; I've never seen this happen before.

This doesn't seem to effect the usability at all, it is more an annoyance than anything else, but like everyone, I want my new $700 toy to be as close to annoyance-free as possible.

I'm not sure if this is by design or if there is a manufacturing/early production run defect.

Quick poll; are you experiencing 'significant' vibration (more than you would consider normal), and are you going to keep or return over this issue/feature.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I've had my iPad Air 2 since last Thursday, like many others, I'm experiencing significant vibration coming from the speakers when the audio being played has lots of bass. This vibrates the whole iPad. This occurs even at low volume levels. I've had just about every iPad since the OG iPad; I've never seen this happen before.

This doesn't seem to effect the usability at all, it is more an annoyance than anything else, but like everyone, I want my new $700 toy to be as close to annoyance-free as possible.

I'm not sure if this is by design or if there is a manufacturing/early production run defect.

Quick poll; are you experiencing 'significant' vibration (more than you would consider normal), and are you going to keep or return over this issue/feature.

There is quite a bit of vibration with mine, but because it is so thin, I assume it is normal. It doesn't bother me, I think of it as a subwoofer when I play games or watch movies :D

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I have the LTE model after using the wifi version and to me it feels less. Not annoying enough to care though imo

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the wifi and cellular version and I don't hear any vibration. I've tried all sorts of songs but I don't get any. I don't know if it's because of the model or what the deal is but there isn't any.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the vibration, but I'm keeping mine. It's not as bad when it's installed in my smart cover. 90% of the time I use headphones anyways!

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't hear or feel any vibration on my iPad Air 2 WIFI + Cell. The 1 thing I do hear is that the speakers sometimes sound tinny or like an old style speaker where the speaker cone has ripped.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue with my Air 2 but it didn't bother me at first because I was using the thick case that I had for my first Air. However, I really noticed it and it did bother me while viewing videos and listening to music after I switched to a thin clear TPU back cover only. I think the problem is related to how thin the Air 2 is. I wish Apple would stop making these devices thiner and thiner as it is starting to take away from their overall good design quality.

Sent from my 128GB iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk.

Narse77

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine has vibration. After reading the complaints I tested it against my wife's iPad mini and a friends iPad 4. All had vibration. My Air 2 is much much louder and vibrates a bit more but not way more. Sound is a wave and bass will vibrate anything. It's an absurd argument to me honestly. Note, I can even feel vibrations in my old Nokia 1020, I am not sure it's even possible to have a vibration free device with any significant volume

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 128GB Space Grey Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad Air 2. Using the built-in speakers results in a significant vibration that can be annoying whether you hold the device or place it on your lap. Using the leather Smart Case does not help much. The vibration made a $829 tablet feel like a low-end product. I was hesitant on whether or not to keep it. But comparing it to my wife's iPad Air 1 swayed me in favor of returning it. I played the same song on both devices. Not only did the iPad Air 2 vibrate noticeably, the sound in the Air 2 was relatively distorted. For the time being, I will keep using my iPad mini 2.

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather have the thinner format than a louder speaker, so I just never turn the volume all the way up. I tend to keep it one to two clicks below the fullest volume setting. If I really need it loud, I use my Bose Bluetooth speaker.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
For the cost of the Air 2, I am not all that satisfied with the vibrations and the speaker distortion. I found that having it in the Smart case dampens it a bit. I had it in more of a plastic case before and the vibrations, etc. were much worse.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not experiencing any vibration on my Verizon Wifi/cellular 64gb Gold iPad Air2...sounds great. I will most likely use my BOSE Q15 headphones/earbuds 95% of the time anyway.

Chellspecker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I returned an iPad Air 2 a couple days ago because of the vibration issue. I went to play a game on it at 1/4 volume (four clicks out of sixteen) and immediately felt a strong vibration from the unit. through my fingers. I do not use a case, nor do I want to. I can't believe all these people making excuses for it, or saying it doesn't bother them, or that a case dampens the vibration, or that they eventually got used to it, or worst of all, that it is somehow a design feature and supposed to be like that. Yes, the reason we can hear is because of waves in the air. I have two large Cerwin-Vega speakers with 8-inch woofers on them, and a Marantz receiver sending 50W signals to each one. I can have small items on top of the speakers, and even at very loud volume, the objects are not jumping around or vibrating until they fall off the speakers. The speakers cause the air to vibrate, but do not themselves vibrate. Simple. The iPad Air 2 has a design flaw. Probably pushed to make it as thin as possible, the designers made some concessions in the way the speakers were installed or internally dampened. Some may think the thinness is valuable enough to warrant the vibration. I do not. I'll stick to my iPad 2, which has clearer, less distorted sound and does not vibrate until they resolve the issue.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I returned an iPad Air 2 a couple days ago because of the vibration issue. I went to play a game on it at 1/4 volume (four clicks out of sixteen) and immediately felt a strong vibration from the unit. through my fingers. I do not use a case, nor do I want to. I can't believe all these people making excuses for it, or saying it doesn't bother them, or that a case dampens the vibration, or that they eventually got used to it, or worst of all, that it is somehow a design feature and supposed to be like that. Yes, the reason we can hear is because of waves in the air. I have two large Cerwin-Vega speakers with 8-inch woofers on them, and a Marantz receiver sending 50W signals to each one. I can have small items on top of the speakers, and even at very loud volume, the objects are not jumping around or vibrating until they fall off the speakers. The speakers cause the air to vibrate, but do not themselves vibrate. Simple. The iPad Air 2 has a design flaw. Probably pushed to make it as thin as possible, the designers made some concessions in the way the speakers were installed or internally dampened. Some may think the thinness is valuable enough to warrant the vibration. I do not. I'll stick to my iPad 2, which has clearer, less distorted sound and does not vibrate until they resolve the issue.

Well that was a wise choice anyway, seeing how the next iPad will be announced very soon.

I get the vibration and it was extremely annoying at first. I was tempted to return it because it irritated my fingers after a while, but I couldn't go back to using my 3rd gen iPad, so I stuck with it. Now, like others have said, I don't really notice it anymore.

kurthee matae

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPad Air 2 vibration? Are you nutz??

There is no vibration at all on iPad air 2. You are just looking for something to nit pick.
You might be suffering from OCD. This is a perfect device with no vibration and nobody is looking for any excuses, you are the one looking for an excuse to not want or like this device. Take it back or sell it.
You don't need an iPad.

Let's say it does vibrate though. WHO CARES, if it distracts you, take it back JESUS..

Do you have any real problems?