Questions if its locked

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to ask if my sister buys me an iPad Air 2 from Japan particularly from Au, is it tied to the carrier? or is it unlocked?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to ask if my sister buys me an iPad Air 2 from Japan particularly from Au, is it tied to the carrier? or is it unlocked?

If it is bought on a carrier, I would consider it locked, seeing as how AT&T and Verizon here in the US have it locked to them if you buy it directly from them. I would check on that carrier's policies, maybe they are different.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

Can't help here, I am not familiar with Japanese cell carrier policies.

If it is bought on a carrier, I would consider it locked, seeing as how AT&T and Verizon here in the US have it locked to them if you buy it directly from them. I would check on that carrier's policies, maybe they are different.

Not true. iPads haven't been carrier locked for awhile. I have a Verizon iPad mini retina on tmobile with no issues as well as my wife's which came from ATT. Both were purchased directly from the carriers.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't help here, I am not familiar with Japanese cell carrier policies.

Not true. iPads haven't been carrier locked for awhile. I have a Verizon iPad mini retina on tmobile with no issues as well as my wife's which came from ATT. Both were purchased directly from the carriers.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

With the Apple SIM though (included in the Air 2 and Mini 3), AT&T has locked it to their network when activated.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/24/att-apple-sim/

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I would ask my sister to ask Au for information whether its locked to their network or if they sell if unlocked. I got a little confused because of the "Apple Sim" in the Wifi+Cellular models of the Air 2 :)

j_squared

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that all recent iPads are unlocked. The sim can be locked, so you would just need to remove it, and replace it with a SIM card from the carrier of your choice.

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
now getting confused, my sister just sent me an email saying that the ipad is locked just like iphones bought from au, softbank. she would head to the store where she ordered the ipad and further confirm it.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
now getting confused, my sister just sent me an email saying that the ipad is locked just like iphones bought from au, softbank. she would head to the store where she ordered the ipad and further confirm it.

It's another country so who knows if they lock or not. In the US they do not.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro