iPad Air 2, better camera than iPhone 6?

thatuxguy

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I notice the iPad Air 2 has a 1.12 micron camera, how much of an improvement do you think this will be over the iPhone 6 camera?

Seems like quite a leap?

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
How much photoshop work do you think was done to the iPad images they showed during the keynote?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There is also a small aperture difference, iPhone 6 is f/2.2, iPad Air 2 is f/2.4, roughly about a quarter-stop. This will result in slight advantage in low light and depth of field focus. It also means that shutter needs to stay open for a shorter time in the same light conditions, introducing less chance of blur. That said, I seriously doubt if any noon-professional could tell the difference in picture quality between an f/2.4 and f/2.2 lens.

And to answer the one question, the iPhone 5 has a 1.4 micron pixel size (f/2.4), the 5s is 1.5 (and f/2.2), and the iPad Air 2 is 1.12 - smaller. The 1.5 will gather more light in the typical picture, again meaning shutter is open less time, less chance for blur, better low light picture, etc.

So the biggest camera specs are definitely better for the 6 vs. the iPad Air 2. There is so much more that goes into picture quality though - software, hardware, signal processor, etc. I thought as an amateur, the 5s camera was great, the 6 will probably prove better, and I bet the iPad Air 2 will be considered excellent as well.

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
As pointed out, iPhone 6 has 1.5 micron and iPad air 2 will have a 1.12.
So in good condition the pictures will good nice, in low-light they won't look so good.

I don't think apple showed any low light or night time pictures in the presentation.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The camera in the Ipad air Imo was decent for a 5 mp and upgrading it to an 8 will be even better. Much better then the 8 mp in the Samsung tablets which even in comparison to the s3 or s4 which both have 8 mp camera Suck

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
As pointed out, iPhone 6 has 1.5 micron and iPad air 2 will have a 1.12.
So in good condition the pictures will good nice, in low-light they won't look so good.

I don't think apple showed any low light or night time pictures in the presentation.

More than the pizel size and its impact to the shutter speed matters in low light. The iPad Air 2 has an enhanced image signal processor that is latest generation, inside the A8X - so it's the newest yet, newer than the A8 in the iPhone 6. The sensor also is "improved", which we dont know specifically what that means either in specs, but the sensor will also have an impact on low light pictures. In any case, two cameras with pixel size of 1.12 microns can have dramatically different quality low light pictures, so we don't really know how "good" the pictures will be compared to other cameras until we see them. I think it's safe to say they will not be quite as good as the iPhone 6, whether it will be noticeable to an amateur or not remains to be seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2