Background activity of Documents app

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I posted it in the 'iOS' section of the forums, but I haven't got any response yet. Here's the link https://forums.imore.com/ios-12/412461-documents-app-s-background-activity.html#post3124351

This is what I noticed yesterday. Please check the attached screenshot, it shows the battery usage stats for my new iPad 6 (two months old) for the last 10 days. I noticed that the Documents app (by Readdle) has been running in the background even though I was not using it. I wonder if this is normal?

I'm on the latest version of iOS 12.1.4

Thanks

Attachments

• 10138061-AF58-4B3E-971D-4C0E713903EA.jpeg
    10138061-AF58-4B3E-971D-4C0E713903EA.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 4

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem like it would be normal, though you might want to contact Readdle about it. It is possible it has a feature that periodically scans for new documents, or has another reason to keep the app running in the background.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is normal for apps to run in the background, even if you're not using it. They do things in the background, so that when you do use them, they will perform as you want them to. No reason to be concerned about apps running in the background.

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
It doesn't seem like it would be normal, though you might want to contact Readdle about it. It is possible it has a feature that periodically scans for new documents, or has another reason to keep the app running in the background.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I sent them an email, waiting to see what they have to say about it.
And it doesn't seem normal to me too. I mean, it's fine if it was active in the background for an hour or two at most. But for 9 and a half hours over the last 10 days?

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I agree that it doesn't seem normal. Do you close out the app when you aren't using it?

I always close out my apps when I am not using them. I never leave them running in the background. So yeah, it doesn't look normal to me. But I was not sure hence I asked.
I actually headed over to settings - General - Background app refresh
I wanted to turn off its background activity by restricting it from running in the background. But I was surprised to see that the documents app was not there on the list of apps for which I can turn off the background activity. Why so? That's really strange

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I always close out my apps when I am not using them. I never leave them running in the background. So yeah, it doesn't look normal to me. But I was not sure hence I asked.
I wanted to turn off its background activity by restricting it from running in the background. But I was surprised to see that the documents app was not there on the list of apps for which I can turn off the background activity. Why so? That's really strange

I think so too, and hopefully, you'll hear from the App's developer soon!

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
It is normal for apps to run in the background, even if you're not using it. They do things in the background, so that when you do use them, they will perform as you want them to. No reason to be concerned about apps running in the background.

I barely used this app over the last 10 days. As you can see, I used it for just 24 minutes, that's less than 3 minutes per day on an average. But it was active in the background for nearly 10 hours. Are you sure this is normal?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Are they active on the forums? On here? I did send them an email

I don't know if they are active here on the forums. Another thing you might try is (if you use twitter), tweeting to them publically. That always generates a speedy response! :D

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I don't know if they are active here on the forums. Another thing you might try is (if you use twitter), tweeting to them publically. That always generates a speedy response! :D

Thanks again. I'm not on Twitter, but I might consider joining it if they don't respond soon, lol.
It's wired why it is running and what it is doing in the background, and I find it even more baffling, the fact that I can't even disable it from running in the background.
I wonder if it's the same for everyone? Or is it just me?
It's not one of the stock apps, so I am really baffled that it's not on the list of apps that I can disable from running in the background

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I barely used this app over the last 10 days. As you can see, I used it for just 24 minutes, that's less than 3 minutes per day on an average. But it was active in the background for nearly 10 hours. Are you sure this is normal?

Doesn’t matter. If it's in multitasking, it will run in the background some. You can always swipe it out of multitasking. That should stop it. But don't see the point of doing so.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Turning off Background App Refresh does not stop apps from running in the background. It just helps them do so more efficiently, using less resources.

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
Doesn’t matter. If it's in multitasking, it will run in the background some. You can always swipe it out of multitasking. That should stop it. But don't see the point of doing so.

Didn't I say that I close all my apps (swipe them away) when I am not using them? Thanks anyway.
And I do hope it's normal.
Btw, what is the reason that I don't see the documents app on the list of apps in settings that I can turn off background activity for?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Didn't I say that I close all my apps (swipe them away) when I am not using them? Thanks anyway.
And I do hope it's normal.
Btw, what is the reason that I don't see the documents app on the list of apps in settings that I can turn off background activity for?

What "documents" app do you refer to? If you mean the Files app, I have no clue. Maybe Apple doesn't allow any change in the settings of that app, so it will perform as they want it to. Why do you worry about apps running in the background? It's not a big deal. However, 10 hours seems strange for any app. Just noticed you said it wasn't a stock app. Mind telling which app you refer to? Maybe use a different documents app. No idea why it doesn't show in your settings list. Contact the developer.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I see on your duplicate post, the app is Documents by Readdle. I don't have that issue with mine. Have you tried deleting the app, then reinstall it? Mine does show in Settings.

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I see on your duplicate post, the app is Documents by Readdle. I don't have that issue with mine. Have you tried deleting the app, then reinstall it? Mine does show in Settings.

I have clearly mentioned in my post that I am using the documents app by Readdle.

Yours shows in settings? Are you sure it shows? Mine doesn't. I just uninstalled and reinstalled it. It still doesn't

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711