Weird Issue

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
So I’m back here at iMore with another very strange issue. Over the last few days, I’ve noticed while using my iPad, that the charging sound it makes when you first plug it in will sound during use without me plugging it in. It seems to be caused by the Smart Keyboard cover when I wrap it around the back of the iPad as one does during use. I can repeatedly cause the charging sound to emit if I touch the magnetic part of the cover to the back of the iPad over and over again. This never happened before and only started happening recently. No updates have been done to iOS either. I tried restarting the iPad, but the issue persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m just guessing here, but is the smart connector on both items clean of debris or smears?

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I’m just guessing here, but is the smart connector on both items clean of debris or smears?

They appear to be, yes. It’s very strange! Everything is working just fine, it’s just making the charging noise every once in a while when he cover moves. I can’t figure out why the cover would cause this. I’m guessing it must have to do with the magnet causing an electrical disturbance or something. I have no clue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They appear to be, yes. It’s very strange! Everything is working just fine, it’s just making the charging noise every once in a while when he cover moves. I can’t figure out why the cover would cause this. I’m guessing it must have to do with the magnet causing an electrical disturbance or something. I have no clue.

I gave my iPad Pro to my youngest son, but I’ve never noticed anything like that. Hopefully, it’s nothing major. Just to be on the safe side, take it to the nearest Apple Store to have them check it out.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I also have a 9.7" IPP with smart cover and I'm not having that issue. (sitting here as I type this trying to make that sound happen)

Has the IPP been dropped recently, even from a short distance like off a table or chair?

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I also have a 9.7" IPP with smart cover and I'm not having that issue. (sitting here as I type this trying to make that sound happen)

Has the IPP been dropped recently, even from a short distance like off a table or chair?

Nope. I baby it. Lol I think I may try a full reset and see if that resolves it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So I’m back here at iMore with another very strange issue. Over the last few days, I’ve noticed while using my iPad, that the charging sound it makes when you first plug it in will sound during use without me plugging it in. It seems to be caused by the Smart Keyboard cover when I wrap it around the back of the iPad as one does during use. I can repeatedly cause the charging sound to emit if I touch the magnetic part of the cover to the back of the iPad over and over again. This never happened before and only started happening recently. No updates have been done to iOS either. I tried restarting the iPad, but the issue persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've had that issue with my iPad 9.7" 2017 Edition. The sound will go off repeatedly right in a row like it's spazzing out. I think the USB hub I am using is causing it because if I unplug everything from the other 3 USB outlets then it stops making that noise. As long as I only have the iPad plugged in the USB outlet strip and no other USB items it remains quiet. It's like it's right on the edge of getting any juice if the other 3 outlets are in use.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I've had that issue with my iPad 9.7" 2017 Edition. The sound will go off repeatedly right in a row like it's spazzing out. I think the USB hub I am using is causing it because if I unplug everything from the other 3 USB outlets then it stops making that noise. As long as I only have the iPad plugged in the USB outlet strip and no other USB items it remains quiet. It's like it's right on the edge of getting any juice if the other 3 outlets are in use.

Mine makes the noise when it’s not plugged in.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
After reading this i went on a google spree and found out that it seems to be a issue with more people other than yourself. There doesn’t seem to be an actual fix but I’m reading that some people bring the keyboard in to swap it out and that fixes the issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234