2017 iPad vs Refurb Air/Air 2

int32_t

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
We're looking at getting a family iPad for general-purpose use. Thought I'd get community opinion: what would you do given the choice between these three iPads?

• 2017 iPad (new): Wi-Fi + Cellular, 32 GB - $620 CAD
  • iPad Air 2 (refurb): Wi-Fi + Cellular, $589 CAD
  • iPad Air (refurb): Wi-Fi + Cellular, $439 CAD

What about AppleCare? (I believe it's available on refurbished units as well.) Is it even worth $99 for only one extra year of coverage? The Mac we purchased several years ago crapped out after 18 months though (just out of warranty!), which gives us pause.

Everybody's got an opinion -- thanks for sharing yours, and I hope it makes the decision easier for us!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since it's only. $31 dollar difference between the iPad Air 2 and the 2017 iPad, I'd go with the newest model.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd go with the new iPad, particularly since you are getting a cellular version. The new iPad supports more bands, such as LTE Band 12, that the Air and Air 2 do not.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
That's a tough decision.

The screen on the iPad Air 2 is better than the new iPad but when looking at support and performance, the new (2017) iPad will last you longer.

The (2017) iPad also has a bigger battery so when it comes to movie time, that could be helpful. :)

Is screen quality at the top of your list? Or is it more about usability? Regarding Apple care, if you are careful with the iPad then I don't think it's necessary.

Hope this helps.