iPad died, stuck on restore, dies before restores

adasha

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
We have an ipad 4, never had a problem, last night it died and I plugged it into the charger it always uses. Instead of charging, it went to an apple screen, black screen, apple screen, black screen....

I've read forums and apple help and tried every kind of rebooting and updating and reinstalling drivers and everything possible.

Here's what happens:
I hold the power button and it shows the screen with the battery and a stripe of red, then goes to the "plug me into iTunes" screen. I plug it in, run iTunes as administrator, select Restore, and it begins the never-ending "software extraction" and by the time it gets to the end, the iPad has gone off and it then says "iPad cannot be detected."

So I don't have enough power on it to get it to the restore stages and through that, which it's now requiring, and I can't get it to charge in any way.

We've only been using this about 6 months. It's never had a problem. I'm baffled at what could have done this???

:confused::huh::crying:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I recommend you make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose and possibly fix the problem for you.

adasha

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
FIXED!
Since the battery was so dead it wouldn't stay on long enough for itunes to do it's job, I just left it plugged in for 24 hours in that itunes screen state and it got just enough charge to make it through the restore. Now it back up and running and at 17% already.
Just wanted to share if anyone has the same problem.